Would it make much difference to replace the stock pickups in my Explorer to EMG's to get a more metal sound? I have a Randall rg50tc amp and the metalzone pedal.
What do you think Skwisgaar Skwigelf uses?

Yeah it'd be a difference, a gainier sound
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Last edited by ExtremeMetalFTW at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by nt1440
hey if claudio sanchez uses them, i would too

right on! it'd sound great.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Everyone says that the stock Explorer pickups suck, but I think they're great. You should look into a new amp, actually, if you want a more metal sound. Trust me, it helps waaaay more. But in terms of your question, yes, EMG's would get you a more metal sound. That's ALL EMG's do well. It's what they're made for.

Question: Is it a Gibson or an Epiphone?
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Meh, try Duncan Blackouts or Live Wires. They do the whole active thing loads better than the EMGs.

I'd recommend something like a Breed and a Norton though, I'm more of a passive guy myself.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
definitely. I put 81 and 85 EMGs into my Electa les paul to replace it's standards and it's never sounded better. EMGs just give you so much great tone, if you can get them - you should.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Everyone says that the stock Explorer pickups suck, but I think they're great. You should look into a new amp, actually, if you want a more metal sound. Trust me, it helps waaaay more. But in terms of your question, yes, EMG's would get you a more metal sound. That's ALL EMG's do well. It's what they're made for.

Gibson.
81/85 thats what my ltd has.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by SideshowRaven24
right on! it'd sound great.

i see coheed tomorrow night!! im at my sisters college for two nights because of it
Quote by xiphos
Gibson.

Good man. Stick with what I said, then. The Explorer's stock ceramic pickups aren't bad by any means. If you're looking to shape your sound, though, I would go for a new amp first.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
81/85 is better if you like dirty music; metal, dirty blues, high gain.
60/81 is if you value cleans more.
60/85 not a good idea, because there both lead pups.

To those trashing EMG's saying they can only do metal, they are much more versatile then they are given credit for. My 60 sounds very nice on clean, its not as others but it is still pretty nice.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
81/85 is better if you like dirty music; metal, dirty blues, high gain.
60/81 is if you value cleans more.
60/85 not a good idea, because there both lead pups.

To those trashing EMG's saying they can only do metal, they are much more versatile then they are given credit for. My 60 sounds very nice on clean, its not as others but it is still pretty nice.

You're right. I was only thinking about the 81/85's. They can do other styles alright.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

>¦<
¦
EMG 81/60 is a combo made in heaven. The SD Blackouts look really kickass, and worthy of a try. NEVER GET THE LIVEWIRES. UGH. They are the MOST sterile pickups I've ever had the displeasure of hearing
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
it would have a thicker tone and more gain... if that's what you want, then it's a good choice
So, if I put a 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck, when I switch it to the bridge it should have a better crunch? Then when I switch it to the neck it would have better cleans with a 60 rather than the 85?
I think I just confused myself.
Damn, crazy to see so many Coheed fans. I used to see them play in Nyack all the time when they were still called "Shabutie". Claudio is one crazy cat.

To the OP's original question, yes, switching to EMGs will be a night and day difference, in a very good way
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by xiphos
So, if I put a 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck, when I switch it to the bridge it should have a better crunch? Then when I switch it to the neck it would have better cleans with a 60 rather than the 85?
I think I just confused myself.

presicely. 81 in the bridge, for supreme ownage, and 60 in the neck for ejaculant enducing cleans. So when you switch to bridge, you will kill people with the aural assault, and when you switch to the neck, those people will be resurrected and live long, happy lives from the sheer awesomeness of the cleans
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
I say the 85/60 great cleans on the 60's behalf and a bassier gainier rhythm tone on the bridge pickup with the 85, some metalcore kid had it on his Jackson and it sounded great.
Quote by Spoony_Bard

Tell that to david gilmour
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.