Hi, after spending lots of time reading these forums, i decided to start a project of my own. here are some pictures.

i will post more progress and sketches of the design.
do i sand the front more or is that enough? i used a 120 sandpaper, i dont know if thats too high. suggestions pls
Did you sand that by hand?
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Once you've sanded with 120, I'd use a good quality oil-based sealer/primer, then sand down to 400 grit. This should give you a nice base to start painting from.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
sweetzoids, thanks. ill do that. did i sand hard enough? cause the edges have a different color. or is it supposed to be like that
so what are your plans for this thing ?

eg. colour, pickups ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
admbwr. i have a design drawn, the base color will most likely be white, and black stenicil design thing(its sorta flowery curvy thingy.. most similar to a jem fretboard maybe, you'll see)... i went to guitar center a few days ago and played one of those guitars with the seymour duncan dimebucker bridge pickup, i really liked it with my amp. soo that will be for the bridge, i dont know about the neck pickup yet.. any suggestions
Quote by Bucket-Bot
admbwr. i have a design drawn, the base color will most likely be white, and black stenicil design thing(its sorta flowery curvy thingy.. most similar to a jem fretboard maybe, you'll see)... i went to guitar center a few days ago and played one of those guitars with the seymour duncan dimebucker bridge pickup, i really liked it with my amp. soo that will be for the bridge, i dont know about the neck pickup yet.. any suggestions

Please, please don't get a Dimebucker. It's quite a horrible pickup - no gain structure or articulation. It does sound nice with a lot of gain, so if that's what you're going for, it might suit you alright.
I'd have a look into the Bill Lawrence L-500XL (which was the actual pickup Dime used) or the SD JD. Both will get you MUCH nicer tones, plus sound good when you're not turned up to 11.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
good feedback, random_hero, im not in a hurry and i want to get the right pickups so ill try out both of those this week, and a few more. thanks.
the guitar is all sanded and ready, i bought the paints,primer,and clearcoat today.. sorry for slow progress but next week are midterms at ASU, and i had lots of projects due recently. ill try work on the guitar this weekend if i have time
@the random hero: With actually owning a guitar with a Dimebucker SH-1 combo for years, I can say its not a horrible pickup. Its very lead oriented. And if bucket-bot tried it out and liked it, theres no reason he shouldn't get it.

Anyway, you either want a Seymour Duncan SH-1 or SH-2 for the neck pickup. If you pm me I'll record something with my Jackson King V with Dimebucker and SH-1. Alder body, bolt on neck, very similar to what you will have.
Did you get the right paint? I don't know... are you painting plastic...?

Bring it back. If you're doing black and white go with the rustoleum lacquer. They sell it at walmart. Whats the two colors for? You will also need clear lacquer.

If you've never spray painted before, please, practice on other things first. Whether its a random piece of metal or random wood. Black is the hardest color to do, the slightest mess up will show up like a punch in the face.
Last edited by decadence5423 at Mar 6, 2008,
Quote by MichaelSpeer
correct me if im wrong someone but if you're painting a solid color over the top you don't need to sand it down to the wood just scuff it up enough so the paint can stick
if u already have, ignore me

Yeah you can do that, but its probably better to sand it down and prime it. I forgot to say to get primer. Alder can be a bitch and really soak up the paint. Absolutely make sure you prime it first.
ok so i was gonna paint the back-plate but after a little bit of sanding i liked how it looked so i kept going..

^^do i need to put any kind of finish on top of it?^^

and heres the back-pannel thingy.. im gonna use the design that was meant for the backplate for it.

its drying right now-ish

the body is all primered up and drying right now. i used enamel paint to do the back plate and it came out pretty shiny and smooth.. should i use enamel for the body? if yes is there any kind of special finish i should put over it? i checked the forums and all the posts about enamel say its bad , why? if that won't work out ill use something else...
Enamel is BAAAD.
as far as i know, it will crackle/orange peel on the surface, which is no good at all.
if you're using the plastic paints still, i'd even recommend re-sanding and starting over with standard Krylon spraybombs (see my mod for example) and PRIMER for sure.

Ippon is the god of this, so PM him if you're still in the dark.

but NO ENAMEL on the wood.
------

Shwiggity.
i just finished painting the body. bout time. gonna apply finish this weekend hopefully heres some pictures..

headstock

the plan for the headstock

back of the guitar , i decided to do something meaningful

front

wow that looks fantastic man well done, its making me want a V that seriously looks amazing man, what are the figures on the back ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
very cool, I like the back alot
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
thanks for comments. the back is a doodle i did at a park on a nice day. anyways the RR3 logo is done. the body is drying from the first 9 layers of finish. heres a logo pic. im really excited about how everything will look like when i put the black hardware back on.

All Done. Looking for suggestions for next project. I've always wanted a les paul or Jem body style. . .

Theres some mistakes but i'm really really happy with how it turned out. Just need strings
Sweet. Personally, I would make the pickguard white and put a black outline on it.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
looks amazing!

white and black look awesome on that shape

also... you have the same amp as me! :P: (its a load of pish )
thats sick
the only thing is I don't like how you covered up the head stock
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Haven't posted much lately but I've been busy on some projects. I've decided to redo the whole body and head stock.

I used a soldering iron to burn images (see below) into the body. Light cherry stain was used over it. I am very pleased with how it turned out, also the Evo bridge pickup is much better then my old one.

Just need to make a back-cover for the cavities... and get the neck pickup.

my dog passed out -.-
Sweet man. I saw the last post in the thread from two years ago, and then I figured somebody else just posted without realizing. Welcome back, man! I liked the first refinish and the new one is pretty cool too. That eye on the back is cool.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Thanks! I get bored really easy and need projects to keep me working. I'm really excited about my new Les Paul build, I get the lumber for it tomorrow.
Last edited by Bucket-Bot at Mar 21, 2010,
Frown face. I thought the black/white was HOT. Whatever floats your boat though!
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
wour burnings are great. i really like the design on the bottom, the floral-ish pattern looks nice.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!