What do you guys think of the MXR Wylde Overdrive pedal?

I am intending on buying one since my Digitech Grunge pedal crapped out on me just today...

My amp is a Peavey VK112
Ibanez RG2570e
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
Last edited by DarK1332 at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by DarK1332
What do you guys think of the MXR Wylde Overdrive pedal?

I am intending on buying one since my Digitech Grunge pedal crapped out on me just today...

My amp is a Peavey VK112

If you're looking for the same amount of gain in the ZW-44, you'll be sorely disappointed. The pedal is pretty raunchy, even when you use it as a boost it adds more dirt then, say, a tubescreamer would. The tone controls are limited in the sense that it doesn't get overly harsh when you dime the tone nor does it get overly flubby when you completely turn it down. It's really a love/hate thing. I personally love it!

If you want a cheap overdrive for a boost that's fairly good, check out the Digitech Bad Monkey.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I absolutely love mine. WAY different than any digitech pedal (better, in my opinion) and true bypass as well.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by papersun87
It's gonna add a LOT of gain.

That's mostly what I want for metal and such.

*sigh* squealies...
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
Quote by DarK1332
That's mostly what I want for metal and such.

*sigh* squealies...

You're gonna use it as a boost then? It won't be able to get heavy rock tones alone.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You're gonna use it as a boost then? It won't be able to get heavy rock tones alone.

Yes i'm intending on using it for that purpose.
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
ITs a good pedal. I heard it will give you a thicker bigger tone...And its used to by the man himself..Mr. Wylde
Quote by life_777
ITs a good pedal. I heard it will give you a thicker bigger tone...And its used to by the man himself..Mr. Wylde

I'm pretty sure Zakk Wylde used Boss Overdrive pedals for a big chunk of his career, I don't know if he uses them now though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
What? Zakk has a pedal? I thought the MG series had crushing overdrive? Now I need to add a pedal too?
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
What? Zakk has a pedal? I thought the MG series had crushing overdrive? Now I need to add a pedal too?

sorry to say that you need his signature Zakk Wylde Epiphone Les Paul Custom too.

I miss the Sam's starter pack gear zoomzilla.

If you want a lot of gain TS, check out the Fulltone OCD.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm pretty sure Zakk Wylde used Boss Overdrive pedals for a big chunk of his career, I don't know if he uses them now though.

yea..He uses a boss Sd-1 overdrive...And he uses his signature stuff like his wah pedal and his mxr overdrive time to time..But his orignal set up during his ozzy years were jimmy hendrix wah pedal and Boss sd-1...
Quote by life_777
yea..He uses a boss Sd-1 overdrive...And he uses his signature stuff like his wah pedal and his mxr overdrive time to time..But his orignal set up during his ozzy years were jimmy hendrix wah pedal and Boss sd-1...

Thought so. You don't find a lot of people that actually use their signature model.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thought so. You don't find a lot of people that actually use their signature model.

Yea Thats true... probably putting signature stuff like names on products is a good advertising trick
actually he does
a year ago he did an article in guitar one or guitar world, i forget, and it said he used it, but took off the knobs becuase they were so big and bulkly for a little pedal
i've seen wylde live, his tone is terrible, like the mudddiest mud, but even muddier
for the well being of your own tone, don't try to sound like him
He used to use the SD-1 for along time, then his signature model came out, He had MXR build one without knobs so it would have the same settings as if the knobs were all cranked to the max... His signature pedal is just a slightly modded SD-1, and IMO those slight mods make it sound way too muddy and too much gain, even for Zakk... If you like the Zakk tone go for the SD-1.

And a side note, he does use his signature pedals, I saw him live not long ago and then I got a chance to meet him in a local bar (he is a really cool guy to meet) and we had a pretty good chat about gear and guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
sorry to say that you need his signature Zakk Wylde Epiphone Les Paul Custom too.

I miss the Sam's starter pack gear zoomzilla.

If you want a lot of gain TS, check out the Fulltone OCD.

Well I have been playing for about a week, so I thought it was time for an upgrade. Maybe in another week I will have to get some new gear! All these people say that they have been practicing for years! Pfft! It only took me a week to learn how to hold the pick and to strum a few notes. I still have to use my right hand to assist my left hand when changing chords, but I am WAY better than my old sams club stuff.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Well I have been playing for about a week, so I thought it was time for an upgrade. Maybe in another week I will have to get some new gear! All these people say that they have been practicing for years! Pfft! It only took me a week to learn how to hold the pick and to strum a few notes. I still have to use my right hand to assist my left hand when changing chords, but I am WAY better than my old sams club stuff.

Oh, Zoomzilla. Your superior comedic values have made my day!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
tee hee, I can't wait to go and try one out (and probably buy it) this weekend
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
Last edited by DarK1332 at Feb 18, 2008,
yeah you should really try it out. i had one, then it broke. but for $100, i don't think it's really worth it. it boosts your treble a lot, therefore letting your leads be heard along with your pinch harmonics. i dunno, i'm just not overly impressed by it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I dunno about this.....
But I phoned the music store yesterday..they have at least 1 in stock but it is a floor model that has been used only a few times (it still has full warranty on it though).

Should I just get the floor model or ask them to order a brand new one and pay a little more....
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
John Petrucci uses that pedal.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
lol, I still didn't get a response on what one do u guys think what one I should get..

The floor model...or order a brand new one and pay a little bit more.?
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
Quote by cielmort
John Petrucci uses that pedal.

Link?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by DarK1332
lol, I still didn't get a response on what one do u guys think what one I should get..

The floor model...or order a brand new one and pay a little bit more.?

They're both the same thing. It's really all up to you. The only difference being is that the floor model had a couple of kids dicking around with it for 2 minutes.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They're both the same thing. It's really all up to you. The only difference being is that the floor model had a couple of kids dicking around with it for 2 minutes.

Unless I dicked around with it, in that case a guitar god did.

Floor model might be worn in I guess.
I went to the music store today and I tried the Wylde Overdrive out.

Sadly, It didn't sound as good as I thought it would be (just my personal opinion) (and yes, I played on clean channel and distortion channel on a tube amp)

So.....I also tried out a Boss DS-1 and for some reason I liked it a lot more (for some reason) ..So I bought it and came home happy

And so far, I love every minute of me using it
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus