View poll results: Do I...
Tune to C, leave intonation set for E.
8 24%
Tune to C, reintonate for C.
3 9%
Buy 3rd guitar especially for C tuning.
22 67%
Voters: 33.
Right now my Gibson Les Paul is perfectly intonated for E standard. I want to play in C standard for a while, but I'm afraid that if I reintonate for C and want to go back to standard in future, I'll never get the intonation as perfect as it is for E standard right now.

What do I do?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Get another guitar.

Yea, that's your best bet. Get another guitar and make that one especially for the low tuning of C standard.
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Yup, you must have a set intonation. Unless you either feel like paying for the changes of intonation or can do it yourself, its really up to you
If you're just going to goof around for a little, then don't worry about reintonating. But if you're going to play in C-standard for a good long time, then you will want to get a new guitar and set it up for low tunings.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Krzy8
Yup, you must have a set intonation. Unless you either feel like paying for the changes of intonation or can do it yourself, its really up to you

I can set intonation. It's just that it initially takes 3 hours of obsessing over perfecting it, then perfecting some more a few days later as the neck readjusts to the string tension.
well then do it yourself IF your doing it for long term. if your goofing off just tune it down.
Buy just the upper part of the bridge, place a small sticker on the bottom of it and write C on it, swap in on to the guitar. Take the original bridge and place a small sticker on the bottom and write E on it. Take the guitar and have it intonated for C with the new bridge on, that way you will have a bridge ready made for either tuning and can swap them when ever you want.
Quote by Fat Brian
Buy just the upper part of the bridge, place a small sticker on the bottom of it and write C on it, swap in on to the guitar. Take the original bridge and place a small sticker on the bottom and write E on it. Take the guitar and have it intonated for C with the new bridge on, that way you will have a bridge ready made for either tuning and can swap them when ever you want.

Smart thinking.
Quote by Fat Brian

That's quite possibly the most sensible thing I've ever read on this site
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Fat Brian, thats one E-cookie for you, for a great idea that i have not heard of. Well done.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I just redid a guitar that was setup and tuned to C, restrung it and retuned it to E.
The only things I had to mess with (and granted, it was a pain in the ass) was the trem spring tension to get the unit level, and lowering the action for a lighter gauge of string.

I didn't have to re-intonate at all, my string length didn't change......
Quote by steven seagull
That's quite possibly the most sensible thing I've ever read on this site

haha, agreed. you'd need to make sure you stick to the same brand and gauge of strings, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm glad everyone enjoyed that, I'm tryin' to be a good contributing member here.
Quote by Fat Brian

nice thinking. That idea should be in a sticky imo.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard