So, if I want to get some effects to decently match up to the Line 6 FM4, which ones should I get? The reason I don't want to get the Line 6 now is because it's too pricey and I'm thinking about working my way up.

I'm thinking something along the lines of phaser, wah, chorus, or is it just all the main effects or something?

Oh yeah, and I like Boss. And the red hot chili peppers.

And it would be nice if you could recommend an order or something. I don't have any pedals now, but I want to get a Crybaby Wah soon (original.) Is the crybaby wah original a good enough wah pedal to last a pretty long time? Based on almost all reviews though, it seems pretty sturdy.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
The original is sturdy but frankly doesn't sound that good. If you're willing to mod it then it can become a pretty ace pedal. By itself it isn't that good.

Phase: script phase 90, small stone.

Chorse: small clone
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The original is sturdy but frankly doesn't sound that good. If you're willing to mod it then it can become a pretty ace pedal. By itself it isn't that good.

Any other opinions on what Kevin has to say about the Crybaby?
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Quote by TheReFiller
Any other opinions on what Kevin has to say about the Crybaby?

Anyone? If you own one, please give me some feedback.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Yeah he's right, the Crybaby's can be great if you mod them and they're pretty low priced.

However for a good stock pedal look into Vox wahs.

Try searching for the ultimate wah thread you'll get a lot of answers there.
Edit: Here's a link, there's some reviews on the first page and EC and Hendriko know a lot about this stuff.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572372&highlight=wah+thread
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah he's right, the Crybaby's can be great if you mod them and they're pretty low priced.

However for a good stock pedal look into Vox wahs.

Try searching for the ultimate wah thread you'll get a lot of answers there.
Edit: Here's a link, there's some reviews on the first page and EC and Hendriko know a lot about this stuff.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572372&highlight=wah+thread

Thanks a bunch, I'm considering buying the Vox one now.

There are some pretty good prices on eBay right now. Would you recommend me getting a slightly used one off there or what? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with online shopping.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Well usually used is a good way to go because you save a lot of money I got my V848 used in a store and saved 50 bucks.
However i'm also big on trying things before buying, with online stuff especially eBay you can't be sure if your getting something that sounds good or even works.

If you can get a proper working one used then go for it but be careful with eBay. Craigslist might also be a good place to look. That's really all I can say from my own experiance, i'm sure someone else could give advice about the used gear and wah pedals.

Good luck.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Alright, thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll go to my 2 local guitar shops and see if they have one I can try out. Hopefully they have a used one in good, working condition.

Ok, this is completely unrelated, but say that I have an Amp with Input jack only and no footswitch thing. If I'm on the clean channel, and have an overdrive/distortion pedal to turn on the distortion with my foot, would it sound at least decent or close to the normal distortion channel? Oh, and I'm talking about a Marshall DSL 401 by the way, I'm hoping to get it (in a very very long time, but id like to know now anyway)
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Quote by TheReFiller
Alright, thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll go to my 2 local guitar shops and see if they have one I can try out. Hopefully they have a used one in good, working condition.

Ok, this is completely unrelated, but say that I have an Amp with Input jack only and no footswitch thing. If I'm on the clean channel, and have an overdrive/distortion pedal to turn on the distortion with my foot, would it sound at least decent or close to the normal distortion channel? Oh, and I'm talking about a Marshall DSL 401 by the way, I'm hoping to get it (in a very very long time, but id like to know now anyway)

Oh yeah, and what are some good ways to make some quick cash? I can't get any official jobs, because I'm only 14, but I'm talking just about some daily stuff.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Quote by TheReFiller

Grrrrrr... triple post...
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Quote by TheReFiller

So your asking if you could use a pedal for the distortion/overdrive instead of the drive channel on the amp?

You could do that but i'm not at all familiar with the DSL401 drive channel so I can't recommend a pedal that sounds like it's overdrive. However there are many options in distortion or overdrive pedals so your likely to find one with the tone you like.

Does the amp have two channels? You might be able to make a footswitch for the amp but that's a whole different thing where your gonna get into building pedals. It's supposedly easy though someone like ECisthebest could help you out there.

Quote by TheReFiller
Oh yeah, and what are some good ways to make some quick cash? I can't get any official jobs, because I'm only 14, but I'm talking just about some daily stuff.

You could sell some old guitars and stuff. If it's warm where you live maybe mow lawns or shovel snow if it's cold. You don't need official jobs to make money, lots of people need daily chores to be taken cared of.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 18, 2008,
Thanks a bunch Zep

Just an average question though: in a normal case, would an overdrive/distortion pedal sound good through the clean channel?
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Yeah lots of guitarists do that including David Gilmour himself.

The key is to have a good basic clean tone for the pedal to go over and a decent overdrive or distortion or fuzz.
However yes it's very common for guitarists to use pedals for drive, some even pair overdrive pedals with the overdrive on their amps so it's fairly common. I recommend trying the amp first and then trying it with the pedals to see if you like it.

Edit: Your welcome.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah lots of guitarists do that including David Gilmour himself.

That's good to know.

If I do get one I'll probably get a Boss DS-1, but would saving up a little for the DS-2 be worth it?

Yes, this is a lot of questions, I know.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Well what sort of sounds are you looking to get?

I have a DS-1 and for the price it's held up well and done it's job but there are better pedals.

Also do you have a certain budget for the pedals?

Early Floyd and classic rock would require a fuzz pedal or and overdrive.

If you like metal and lead solos some sort of distortion or Metal Muff should get you there.

If you're gonna go to a shop to try a DS-1, check out the OS-2 at the same time. It's a combo distortion/overdrive pedal. About $70 or 80.
Pretty flexible, from blues to hard rock but not like "super duper hard core br00tal metalz." Metallica like distortion will probably be the max amount I'll need (not like there not t3h br00talz or anything ). I'd also like it to have the option to be very smooth and bassy and easily workable on single coil pickups (i have a fender highway one HSS, and want to put the single coils to good use seeing as i almost always use the humbucker. It seems like the Boss OD-2 is pretty good on single coils, so I'll check that out the next time I go to the guitar shop.

I'm trying to keep my budget down, so nothing too expensive. I can save up though, I don't really need it now.

What are some fuzz pedals you recommend?

If you like metal and lead solos some sort of distortion or Metal Muff should get you there.
I like metal but I listen and play rock a ton more then metal, though I play metal sometimes for kicks. I plan on being a lead guitarist, and I plan on doing lots of soloing.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Quote by TheReFiller
Pretty flexible, from blues to hard rock but not like "super duper hard core br00tal metalz." Metallica like distortion will probably be the max amount I'll need (not like there not t3h br00talz or anything ). I'd also like it to have the option to be very smooth and bassy and easily workable on single coil pickups (i have a fender highway one HSS, and want to put the single coils to good use seeing as i almost always use the humbucker. It seems like the Boss OD-2 is pretty good on single coils, so I'll check that out the next time I go to the guitar shop.

I'm trying to keep my budget down, so nothing too expensive. I can save up though, I don't really need it now.

What are some fuzz pedals you recommend?

I like metal but I listen and play rock a ton more then metal, though I play metal sometimes for kicks. I plan on being a lead guitarist, and I plan on doing lots of soloing.

Well i'm not so knowledgeable about pedals. So i'll try to help with whatever I can...

As far as fuzz pedals go, the Fuzz Face is considered very good. BYOC makes a fuzz face clone which is supposed to be good and I know David Gilmour used one in his early ears. Echoes being a great example.

You could also look into a muff which David used in his later years. It's like the fuzz but heavier and more like an overdrive so you can use this in a number of ways. BYOC also makes an affordable clone of the muff which seems pretty good from the youtube vids.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4382665951622301991&q=BYOC+large+beaver&total=6&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Now if you want lead soloing distortion and rhythm a good overdrive might work. However I don't know of many that are so versatile. There most probably is but I don't know many of them. You could look into the Visual Sound Route 66 it got some nice lead tones and should be able to do light drive, but i'm only relying on soundclips never played one.

The Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde might also work well. It's got overdrive & distortion so it may cover the range of tones you want however i'm only going by what others have said or soundclips. The drive is supposed to be very tubescreamer like.
http://www.visualsound.net/v2jh.htm

If you can try some of those pedals in the store or look for some good sound clips of them.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 19, 2008,