Okay so I'm trying to join one of my friends games on Halo 3 on xbox live, and after much wondering I realized it was because my NAT (network address translation) was set to Strict, which is the least compatible setting, which in turn extremely limits my online gaming. I've lost the box to my router, so theres no help there. So does anyone know how I can change my NAT settings from Strict to something else?

Thanks
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
What that means is that your computer is on a private network that is isolated from the Internet. That means that, while your computer can send traffic out (thanks to your router) no computer on the Internet can send traffic directly to your computer, because it is not actually connected to the Internet.

When your computer sends traffic out your router changes the source IP address on the packets from your computers private IP address to it's own public IP address. This isn't a problem in most cases because your router keeps track of outgoing traffic and when it receives responses it knows what packets to send back to your computer. But in the case where a computer on the Internet needs to initiate a brand new connection to your computer it's going to try and do it with your router, not your computer.

There's no way to fix this but to not use NAT. The only reason to use NAT is in the case of say, your ISP will only give you 3 IP addresses but you have 4 computers in your house. NAT solves that problem.
what kind of router do you have?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by garett
What that means is that your computer is on a private network that is isolated from the Internet. That means that, while your computer can send traffic out (thanks to your router) no computer on the Internet can send traffic directly to your computer, because it is not actually connected to the Internet.

When your computer sends traffic out your router changes the source IP address on the packets from your computers private IP address to it's own public IP address. This isn't a problem in most cases because your router keeps track of outgoing traffic and when it receives responses it knows what packets to send back to your computer. But in the case where a computer on the Internet needs to initiate a brand new connection to your computer it's going to try and do it with your router, not your computer.

There's no way to fix this but to not use NAT. The only reason to use NAT is in the case of say, your ISP will only give you 3 IP addresses but you have 4 computers in your house. NAT solves that problem.

So how can I disable NAT, since thats the only way to fix this.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Quote by CrashedTheShow3
So how can I disable NAT, since thats the only way to fix this.
Depends on your router. Find the box. Also make sure that you don't need it. If you have more than one computer in your house connected to the Internet, and your ISP only allocates so many IP addresses then that's typically the most common reason to use NAT.
Quote by garett
Depends on your router. Find the box. Also make sure that you don't need it. If you have more than one computer in your house connected to the Internet, and your ISP only allocates so many IP addresses then that's typically the most common reason to use NAT.

Well we have 3 laptops (two for my moms work, and my macbook), and 2 desktop computers, so I will most likely need it, right?
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
dude what router do you have i know what to do for most routers
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.

There's no way to fix this but to not use NAT. The only reason to use NAT is in the case of say, your ISP will only give you 3 IP addresses but you have 4 computers in your house. NAT solves that problem

Correct except for the last part. For most routers, you can change the ports that your xbox live is allowed to use. Those ports are: UDP 88, UDP 3074, and TCP 3074. Just go into your settings and allow the IP adress your Xbox uses to use these ports, and your setting should change from strict to open. I did this and now there's like no lag and i can play with anyone.