I've done some research on this guitar, but I'm looking for people who own them to give me a little feedback on them.

I'm hoping for it to accomplish my needs in the hard rock, Vai etc genre, but also to do some older les paul rock styles, and some humbucker blues which I can't get out of my strat.

Basically Im wondering how reliable they are, and how easy the ZR would be for someone to setup who has never had a FR style tremolo before. How well does it stay in tune, and will the ZPS actually keep it in tune if you break a string, or is that just false advertising?

Thanks,

Hawk
They're reliable, as far as construction goes. The trem's a solid machine, with an achilles heel which is its arm socket. That's easily fixed, however. It's got great tuning stability, and the ZPS - with correct setup - will keep it in tune after a broken string, or let you switch between E and drop D with a fine tuner. I go in a bit more detail about how it works here.

It's a fair bit easier to set up than a straight-out full floating Floyd.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
The ball bearings are not sealed - that simplifies the design and complicates the care. Break out your machine oil and make sure that the bearings are kept away from concentrations of dust or moisture.

So is this alot of regular maintenance, as in repacking the bearings, or just a little lubrication? havent hear this before now.
Quote by hawk5211
So is this alot of regular maintenance, as in repacking the bearings, or just a little lubrication? havent hear this before now.

You'll never have to rebuild the bearings, unless it's something you like doing just for kicks. It won't ever get enough use to warrant degradation of the cartridge. Just a bit of lube every now and then and it's fine. They're like your bike pedals, grease them whenever they don't feel right.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
can you block the ZR trem, like a regular FR, and is this worth it?

If I don't want to get a trem is the RGT42FX a good idea??

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGT42FX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512399&src=3SOSWXXA

^Im also assuming that this has a 5 way switch due to the wiring diagram, not sure why it says 3 way here.
Quote by hawk5211
a bump

Greedy bump.

Yes, I'm sure you can somehow block it like a regular FR. Don't see why you would, though.

The fixed RGT42 is a nice guitar, if a bit overpriced for what it is. Yes, it has a five-way.