Well i'm thinking about going to college to stduy jazz guitar, and i'm curious. How good do you already have to be at jazz guitar to get into a good school? If you start really good already, why would you go to study that? If your bad how would you play at a college level? Any insight? Is this in the right fourm?? I don't know.
Quote by MyBand_NME_rulz
If you start really good already, why would you go to study that?
I'm pretty good at math and physics. I think the American government should let me design the next generation of fighter jets.

What's scary is that Redwing will be doing that.

Just kidding Red. I'm sure you'll be a great engineer.
I have a friend who just went to try out. they had her do sight-reading, improvisation, and she had to have two prepared pieces and explain the chord changes behind them.
I'm thinking that you don't have to be super amazing, but you have to know what you're talking about and be able to sight read.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were .
but you have to know what you're talking about and be able to sight read.

Looks like I'm never going to muscian school
Here's a little secret, if you can sight read well then you will be desirable to alot of fairly good music schools. I know this because I take lessons with a guy who has played with some pretty big names and he teaches at a few high level music schools. He told me that a lot of times he will audition like 30 guitarists, and 25 of them will bomb out on the sight reading. If you can read, they can use you in the big bands, the combos, pretty much anything. Even if you can't play as well as some of the other people you are auditioning against, the sight reading is a really big advantage.
12 fret fury
It depends on where u want to go, Berklee College of music will be a lot easier to get into than the Juilliard School or Curtis Institute of Music.
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
Quote by Metallica rulz
Are they going to make me sight read, and then play it in some crazy position on the spot? Like... change octaves in my head, because I can't do that lol.

If you arent able to play octaves (if that's what you mean by "change octaves in my head") then there is a problem.
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Quote by fas11030
If you arent able to play octaves (if that's what you mean by "change octaves in my head") then there is a problem.

I actually thought he meant transposing in his head, is that as big a problem to not be able to do?
^
That's what I gathered, too. Anyone can play octaves...
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by fas11030
It depends on where u want to go, Berklee College of music will be a lot easier to get into than the Juilliard School or Curtis Institute of Music.

I don't think they have jazz guitar at Julliard...so...yeah.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
I don't think they have jazz guitar at Julliard...so...yeah.

They do have a jazz program at Juilliard.

...so...yeah.
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Quote by zepledfan413
Looks like I'm never going to muscian school

Same here...
Quote by Avedas
Same here...

There's hope. Many colleges offer undergrads free lessons at the affiliated music school. I'm at University of Rochester right now, studying nothing music related, but if I wanted to, I could take free jazz guitar lessons at the Eastman School of Music.

I can tell you for sure I wouldn't have got in to Eastman if I auditioned in high school, but this way I can still get credit-bearing lessons over there, and if at some point I feel comfortable doing so, audition to take classes.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
It's a lesson that counts as a credit. As I understand it, Primary lessons count for 2 credits per semester and Secondary count for 1 per semester, but I may be wrong.

But the other cool thing is that the schools share a lot of faculty... the chair of Rochester's music Dept also has an appointment at Eastman, and I took one of his classes last semester. "History of Rock and Roll"
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Cool stuff. Is it a formal class with a letter grade or Pass/Fail? And do you pick the material studied? Perhaps you can only answer for Rochester, but I'm assuming that most universities are pretty similar.
I actually haven't done it yet. I'm assiming its pass/fail though. I haven't had time to do it so far, but once I move a little closer to campus I'll probably sign up.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by J.T.W
I actually thought he meant transposing in his head, is that as big a problem to not be able to do?

transposing what?
Gear:
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-(other stuff)
Hmmm I'm considering auditioning as a voice major. Does anyone know how good you must be? I'm classically trained and perform in a touring chamber choir, but I'm not very good at opera.
The medium is the message!