I've been playing for almost 2 years now. I play a little blues and rock, but I'm a metalhead through and through. Over the past 2 years I've learned all kind of stuff. Hammer-on's, pull-off's, natural harmonics, pinch harmonics, tremolo picking, all different kinds of chords and scales, and all that other good stuff. I've gradually built up speed and skill just by playing everyday whenever I feel like it. But now, I want to learn to shred. To shred, do I HAVE to have a regimented practice everyday for several hours just going over finger exercises and scales? Do I have to sit playing the same exercises a billion times just to get shred speed? Or if I just continue playing for fun will I eventually get there?
Depends on what you play when you just 'play for fun.'

A strict practicing schedule would certainly be the better way to go about things, though.
I improve greatly just "playing for fun" but its only because its fun to improve. I just play harder and faster songs, and the speed comes.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I learned to sweep pick from the duncan hills coffe jingle solo video.
it was like
"Hey thats a D minor shape arpeggio...OH HOLY SH*T I'm SWEEP PICKING!!!"

Practice slow arpeggios. SLOOWWWWw.
I don't even shred
really know your scales. play them backwards and forwards. and don't start off fast, go really slow.
I mean, will just jamming (playing through songs, making my own, improvising solos, attempting other peoples solos) eventually get me to shred speeds? or do you have to sit down and just practice scales and finger exercises for hours everyday to get that speed
Quote by sacamano79
I improve greatly just "playing for fun" but its only because its fun to improve. I just play harder and faster songs, and the speed comes.

i agree 110%. i started out learning the most simple songs. never learned a scale or studied theory or anything. after playing for over a year now, i never thought i would have gotten this good.

point is, just have fun. don't treat it like something you "have" to do, just have fun and enjoy the music. you'll get better as time goes on and you progressively learn harder songs.
Quote by Nebjy
I learned to sweep pick from the duncan hills coffe jingle solo video.
it was like
"Hey thats a D minor shape arpeggio...OH HOLY SH*T I'm SWEEP PICKING!!!"

Practice slow arpeggios. SLOOWWWWw.

lol duncan hills coffee. i love that song. it's in drop d, right? i was just wondering because most dethklok stuff is 2 steps down, and i remember the powertab saying drop d.
Quote by kirkhammett09
I mean, will just jamming (playing through songs, making my own, improvising solos, attempting other peoples solos) eventually get me to shred speeds? or do you have to sit down and just practice scales and finger exercises for hours everyday to get that speed

well that's usually what i do. i practice licks and come up with my own and practice them for hours at a time. before i know it i'm playing faster than i used to play before. there are some paul gilbert licks that are possible for us mortals
watch a video on youtube to learn an arpeggio or two
two and a half weeks later you can sweep

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com