Ok, basic question, but i searched for it, and didn't come up with anything near, so here goes,

can you use guitar effects for a bass?

I'm running a squire p-bass into a little practice amp, and i have a couple guitar stompboxes that I'm curious to hear with a bass. specifically an EHX metal muff. anyway, that's like a $90 pedal and I don't wanna screw it up somehow.

thanks
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
It won't srew anything up, but you will lose almost all of your low end

and you mean a bass practice amp right?
yea, bass practice amp.
wait, why will I lose all the low end? you mean of the bass? that doesn't make sense, wouldn't it have too much low end if anything? Are you saying that when I go back to plug a guitar into that pedal it will not have much low end?

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
No what he means is that when you plug a bass into a guitar effects pedal you will sonically lose the lower end of the bass sound-that is the lower notes will either sound less than ideal or they won't be processed at all.

It won't ruin the pedal, its just merely an act of futility.
you can use the guitar pedals for basses, but the main difference is that guitar pedals use a higher frequency compared to bass pedals. For example, if you would get a wah pedal for the guitar, it wouldn't really blend in good with the bass, because it uses a higher pitch that would blend in with the guitar.
"It won't ruin the pedal, its just merely an act of futility."

ok, i'm still gonna try it, but thanks for the affirmation that it won't break anything.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Quote by strat212
"It won't ruin the pedal, its just merely an act of futility."

ok, i'm still gonna try it, but thanks for the affirmation that it won't break anything.

It's hardly worth trying: the bass with sound incredibly faint and weak.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
yea, tried it, and it kinda sounded like a really really crappy guitar. but i'm glad i checked it out

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Quote by strat212
Ok, basic question, but i searched for it, and didn't come up with anything near, so here goes,

can you use guitar effects for a bass?

YOU LIE!!!

This is like... the 2nd most commonly asked question. Seriously.
Quote by strat212

The only thing you will break is my heart.

Guitar players have this cutesy, cutesy notion of "low end". They'll get hit with a wave of 250Hz and go WOOOAAAHHH! Whereas actual low end (read: low end?) is much, much lower.

99% of heavy guitar pedals have a curcuit that completely rolls off the low end. We're talking -1000 db. That way, the heavier distortions don't get muddied up by farty, unpleasant low end. On guitar, that leaves a focused, punchy tone, but on the bass, you're completely compromisng your usefulness in the band by removing potentially the only frequencies that'd get you heard (in a situation where Metal Muffs are needed). I'm tempted to think if you ran a T-Bird through a Metal Muff, the Muff would act like a mute switch...

Oh, and not to mention it'll just sound like ****. It might sound really LOUD on your 8" speaker 15W practice amp, but on your real rig, it just won't do. But of course, there are some people that like it and yadda yadda yadda, so do whatever you want, but don't say you weren't warned.

EDIT: Somehow missed the comment where you tried it already - and "sounding like a crappy guitar" is probably the best descriptor I've ever heard. Ignore my entire previous comment.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ha ha ha, well good rant anyway, points for length.
yep, sounds pretty much like crap. i don't know who'd like it, i mean it might actually sound o.k. with a huge rig where you could screw with eq a TON and volume wouldn't be an issue. but yea, actually it's a squire p-bass, obviously I"m not a bassist by nature.

OK another question bass/guitar related:

playing a guitar through that bass practice amp, (fender frontman 15watt 8inch speaker)

I tried it, and it sounded ok, but I was wondering if it would have any effect on the amp at all over time, or if it could handle (again, without any effect over time) my korg ax3000G processor, or any other effect pedals. played guitar--->effects--->bass amp.

I hope this works, cause that would mean I could get rid of this crappy guitar practice amp that I only use when playing with people who would be overpowered by the 40 tube watts of my Hot Rod Deluxe .
But i probably won't do it much if it wears out the speaker, or if it makes it sound like crap when I go back to playing bass through it.

Thanks

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Last edited by strat212 at Feb 19, 2008,
It will absolutely not hurt it at all.

Guitars sound fine through bass amps. Just don't play your bass through your guitar amp, other than that you're fine.