Page 1 of 2
I know this question only applies to some people on here but anyway. Tonight, it dawned on me how much my musical taste has developed. I was listening to some Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery tonight, and my dad walks in and was telling me how he was proud of me for liking some real music. Anyway, five years ago, before I started playing guitar, I would be listening to Good Charlotte and Simple Plan. I would have never thought in a million years, I would be so pumped listening to jazz music. So, did you ever think that you would ever be interested in some of the music you like now?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Feb 18, 2008,
I used to absolutely hate metal when I was way younger...now I listen to it on a daily basis. And even when I was getting into metal, I didn't think I'd ever listen to death metal like I do now.
I suppose, I listen to a lot of mellow music and older music (blues, jazz, classical, etc.) so yeah it's not what I was expecting.
I used to look at bands like slayer/slipknot and think how could anyone ever listen to that music, its just noise

...I'm a huge metalhead now, oddly enough. although i do like thrash metal in particular better
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Yeah, I used to be a rock only type of guy, with AC/DC and Led Zeppelin being my main listening. Now, I'm way into Mahavishnu Orchestra, all big band swing, and some metal, like SOAD, when I used to hate metal and jazz.
i grew up as a grunge head. now i love fusion jazz, folk, classical and prog metal. all because i learned how to play a few instruments
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Not even close.
Used to listen to exclusivly rap. Still listen to it, but very picky.
Now I range everywhere from Ghostface Killah to Muse to Pantera
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
I've liked the same kinds of music since I was a youngin'. Although, When I was a youngin' I only liked a few of the songs off of my Mom's Alice in Chains unplugged album. Now they're my favourite band.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
5 years ago id be listening to blink 182 and all that pop punk type stuff. i never thought that in a couple of years id be listining to bands like Children of Bodom and Dream Theatre, and let alone appreciating genres like and Jazz and Classical.
everything I listen to now, I hated.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
when I was like 7, I was obsessed with limp bizkit
then I moved onto papa roach...
then metallica
then pantera
then children of bodom
then opeth

then I started liking older things
sabbath, ozzy, other old metal bands.
Then I listened to old rock like classic rock. Eventually led to pink floyd, which I still love. Then, I started listening to blues rock like cream, which I still love. Then SRV (my current favorite musician). That's pretty much where I am. I like jazz, blues, classic rock, folk rock, and prog. rock.
Current favorite bands:
Rush, Cream, SRV, Pink Floyd, Crosby Stills and Nash, The Who, Ray Charles, Alice in Chains.

I've changed a lot, from limp bizkit to Stevie Ray Vaughan
Not at all. 5 years ago, if you had shown me Darkthrone and Gorgoroth and said, "You'll be in love with these bands in a few years," I would have thought you were crazy.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I used to think classical was for pretentious assholes. I've abandoned that attitude.

I never really saw myself getting into progressive rock like I am today when I was younger.
Yeah, just like a lot of people have said, I used to think that Death Metal was dumb sounding, but I really like it now. However, I get tired of anything if I listen to it a lot so I'm constantly moving back and fourth between genres of music, but ultimately, I listen to everything except country and classical. My Ipod is probably one of the most random collections of music on the planet haha
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Up until I was in 7th grade, I only listened to Classical and LOTR soundtrack (lol). Then I got into Green Day. Most of 8th grade I loved Nu Metal, and now (9th grade) I'm really more into thrash and melodic death metal.
Well I had a metal fad and now I just can't see with the recent shredding fad how that can even appeal as music... Where's the emotion in 5000 sixteenth notes played at 400bpm? I'm all into modern rock, blues and jazz now. I've never disliked them though so I'm not surpised.
Certainly. I grew up listening to pop-punk and 80s metal. I despised anything that had screaming in it.

Today, I can't stand pop-punk. I'd much rather listen to hardcore or even something softer like jazz or classical music. The guitar has definantly opened up my mind to other genres.
Quote by G-Rock
Not even close.
Used to listen to exclusivly rap. Still listen to it, but very picky.
Now I range everywhere from Ghostface Killah to Muse to Pantera

Same here.

I'm more of a Dead Prez to As Blood Runs Black transition though
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

I used to like country, then rap, then soft-rock, then metal, now literally everything. Since my interest in music have changed so much, I wonder what I will listen to when I'm 45....
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Five years ago, if you'd have shown me Fungus Amongus (Incubus), I'd have hated it, but now it's one of my favorite albums. Same with Song for America (Kansas), probably.

Both groups have had an incredible impact on me in terms of what I listen to and what I write.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Always been into hiphop, funk, soul, jazz, so jungle and house music sorta manifested themselves out of those genres....
Heh, not at all. I was listening to Linkin Park and Good Charlotte, now I listen to NIN. I could never imagine myself listening to anything like it.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
I grew up listening to the ramones, greenday, nirvana and classic rock. Until i saw on myspace a picture of a school friend "with Buz from unearth", i looked them up and i got hooked since that day! looked up some more"related artists" and it was like a snow ball getting bigger and bigger. But i loved the most was the mixture of brutality with beautiful melodies and harmonized guitars, reason why together with killswitch, are my fav bands.

Then once in college i had to listen to a lot of classical music. Discovered Beethoven, Schumann, Chopin, Liszt and got hooked to classical-romantic piano. As my theory classes advaced i got into Wagner (who is equally brutal than any metal band) and Strauss.

Nope, i never thought i would listen to the music i do. Thank god moved from where i was stock, it held my playing skills cause i was only playing power chords and lame melodies.
Yes, I knew I'd be listening to music I didn't know existed, like afro-beat. And krautrock.

...I still hate a lot of classical music, though.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
No. I probably would be listening to some rap or green day **** if i didn't find metal through the use of teh interwebz.
Nighty Night keep your butthole tight
Quote by AlexiSinergy
I heard my mom talking to her friend about going to a ****ing dildo party!
Actually no, I used to (when I was really little, I'm only 14 now) listen to super bubble-gum pop. Now it's hardcore punk all the way, plus pretty much everything else, I ddin't think anything like At The Drive-In, or The Mars Volta, or The White Stripes, or Tool, of The Fall of Troy, or The Blood Brothers, or etc. could even exist
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by NutZz?
I used to look at bands like slayer/slipknot and think how could anyone ever listen to that music, its just noise

...I'm a huge metalhead now, oddly enough. although i do like thrash metal in particular better

Yup just noise there.

I never used to think I would be into metal, I used to listen to Simple Plan and Good Charlotte all the time *ashamed*
I used to hate hiphop in all its shapes. A couple of months ago I was showed some old-school hiphop and hiphop that was sans gangstarap-attitudes.

I'm also starting to appreciate the world of psytrance thanks to Infected Mushroom and Shpongle.
I thought Tool was a group of satanists for some reason. Now they're my favorite band. hmmm
this may sound strange but before i discovered UG i couldn't stand any kind of metal, as i thought it was ALL satanic music. I used to like pop/punk rock bands cuz i thought they were cool but when i started to play guitar, and started learning music theory, it open my ears to a whole new world i never knew existed.

i started listening to music not just as an average listener with no knowledge of how music works, but as a musician that can appreciate the diversity among all types of music ranging from pop, to metal, to blues, and everything in between.

i still like some blink 182, nirvana, etc, but now i listen to slayer, led zeppelin, dream theater, b.b. king, etc.

as i mentioned above i think that when one starts learning to play an instrument his/her ear will start to develop and you'll no longer hear music the same way. you'll realize that after a while you can tell notes apart, you can tell if somethings out of tune, etc.
anyways, thats just my belief
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Anything heavier then greenday back then was gay. Hated it..

but now its the shizzit.

Look Left >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Left you idiot!
Never thought I would find myself enjoying death metal. But now I do.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I used to like linkin park and rap. all this mainstream bull****.

now its likely for me to listen to Take 5 or some jazz after listening to blackwater park.
I grew up listening to 80's hip-hop and 90's gangsta rap. Bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, and Linkin Park got me into general rock music. I finally bought a guitar and amp and fell in love with guitar solos and fast riffage, and I was drawn to Metal and I've been listening to Metal ever since, going 10 years strong now .
Page 1 of 2