Page 1 of 2
I thought of what technical death metal with a saxophone section and various other things such as bongos would sound like... Necrophagist and The Mars Volta thrown together in a blender. You'd never imagine death metal with saxophones and bongos, until now, and now that you do I would like you to think of what I was thinking, basically part of Advanced Corpse Tumor, run through the rhythm, then at a break where Muhammed plays a chord and it is about to go to that sick ass solo, ****in' saxophone from Con Safo kicks in with a mildly groovy chug behind it and, uh... ****in' bongos at some point, it's a really well calculated use of sound...

AMIRITE?
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
That's like trying to mix together chocolate and pesto. It just doesn't work.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
That's like trying to mix together chocolate and pesto. It just doesn't work.

That's what I thought at first, then I dwelled on it a little more. It dawned on me eventually that if done properly, people could be in for a nice little surprise
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
it could be done. anything can be metal. EVERYTHING WILL BE METAL. blacker then the blackest black times infinity.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Death metal with a brass section. So like...Ska Metal?
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
^+1 lol.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
It already quasi-exists, a la Symphonic Metal.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Greenfinger182

I think I'd really like that.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Take the gp5 and mess around. I've taken really death metal and changed it to pianos or acoustic and I thought it sounded amazing.
This is why bands like Iron Horse are so awesome
^Zao_89= GOD
+29457. Pestilence ****en rocks!

oh and yes it can be done. look to sepultura for good use of non-traditional percussion in extreme metal circumstances. bongos would be harder to make metal than a lot of stuff. but i can definnetly see a saxophone in metal as long as it plays tons of minor scales and diminished chords. YAY!

also... don't forget, HARPS! *BRING BACK THE GREEKS*

*said in DM vocals.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by Greenfinger182

Not metal, but I've heard grindcore/thrashcore with ska (Evil Empire), and there's been a number of hardcore/skacore crossover bands, like Leftover Crack and Choking Victim.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
^It can't be up-beat sort of stuff like Ska though, wouldn't work (on guy I went to school with showed my some Ska, some dudes cross dressing ..... I had trouble watching the whole vid ).

Oh and Horn sections work perfectly with Death Metal, so introducing some other Wind instruments *could* work. (I wish Behemoth made more use of the Horn section & that Jazz Pianist guy on their latest - the making was a big tease )
Like I said, listen to unexpecT.

And Carnival in Coal too.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Been tried, failed massively at making decent music.

See: UneXpect
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Been tried, failed massively at making decent music.

See: UneXpect

They try to throw way too much s**t together at once. WAYYY too much. Sounds nothing like my dream of jazzdeath.
unexpect cant be comprehended by everyone :P Everyone thinks theres too much going on. For other bands like this, check out Tub Ring, and Idiot Flesh.
This has already been done.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by insideac
unexpect cant be comprehended by everyone :P Everyone thinks theres too much going on. For other bands like this, check out Tub Ring, and Idiot Flesh.

If "The Bedlam in Goliath" was metal then Unexpext would have made it and it would have been just as... meh...

Who has done this, VampireGoldfish
Trepalium for one.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Roots, Bloody Roots by Sepultura....bongos and an orchestra...AND an Italian opera singer...all in a metal song. About tribal warfare nonetheless. Beat that.
Quote by insideac

Lol, stop acting all elite because you can 'comprehend' UneXpect. I can comprehend their music perfectly, it's just that it's pure shit.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
There's a black metal band called Sear Bliss who use a brass instrument in their songs.... it works quite well.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Infamou$17
I thought of what technical death metal with a saxophone section and various other things such as bongos would sound like... Necrophagist and The Mars Volta thrown together in a blender. You'd never imagine death metal with saxophones and bongos, until now, and now that you do I would like you to think of what I was thinking, basically part of Advanced Corpse Tumor, run through the rhythm, then at a break where Muhammed plays a chord and it is about to go to that sick ass solo, ****in' saxophone from Con Safo kicks in with a mildly groovy chug behind it and, uh... ****in' bongos at some point, it's a really well calculated use of sound...

AMIRITE?

Thats were i stopped. Forget about it buddy
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
John Zorn and Napalm Death teamed up for some weird saxophone metal long ago methinks..
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Infamou$17
They try to throw way too much s**t together at once. WAYYY too much. Sounds nothing like my dream of jazzdeath.

Still, they took what you describe 2 steps further.

Diablo Swing Orchestra
Carnival in Coal
Devin Townsend
Freak Kitchen
Between The Buried and Me
Dream Theater

All of these do what you describe at varying degrees and with different styles.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by duncang
Lol, stop acting all elite because you can 'comprehend' UneXpect. I can comprehend their music perfectly, it's just that it's pure shit.

I beg to differ, UneXpect kicks major ass.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
,hey, I was gonna try that (but, with progressive death metal a la Opeth with trumpet solos)..but, yeah, in my opinion, it'd be epic.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
theres like YAKUZA, but theyre not crazy metal
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Mr. Bungle? Their music isn't quite metal enough, but they did start as a death metal band and kept some of the death metal influence on Disco Volante.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by duncang

Pure **** to you cuz you dont get it. Besides, its an opinion. unexpect makes a good example of what its like to add different, out of the circle instruments to metal.
Quote by insideac
Pure **** to you cuz you dont get it. Besides, its an opinion. unexpect makes a good example of what its like to add different, out of the circle instruments to metal.

Again, I get it. I get that they're experimenting like hell and doing a lot of different things and I understand the music completely. It just sucks. They are not a good example of what it's like to add different instruments to metal because it sucks ass. A good example of adding different instruments to metal would be Saurom.

EDIT @dead-fish:

Yeah, but most of those bands normally go into different styles only as sort of interludes, and couldn't really be classified as '[different genre] metal' because they don't sound like it often enough.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Last edited by duncang at Feb 19, 2008,
Sounds pretty cool
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
i might try this. It would be fun at the very least.
Up the Punx!
Quote by duncang

There bass player aint bad though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uutrjotwB38
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Page 1 of 2