So i have an old ****ed up Gibson Epoch from when i first started playing guitar and recently i bought a new neck for it and some pickups to make it a backup guitar. the problem is i dont have to many tools and essentially i have 2 seymour duncan pickups; one is a jazz and one is a standard bridge, and the problem is i can only install one. i was thinking of putting the jazz pickup in the neck and just using that. would that give me horrendous tone/quality? i mainly play indie and surf rock so really all i need is a whiny distortion and high pitched clean. what do you guys think?
uh... why can you only install one? I think the pickups are worth more than the guitar probably. jazz is a very nice neck pickup when paired with something like a JB for the bridge you get great tone for most anything you want to play... and you can coil tap those both I think... (although I'm not sure) so you'll be very well off (if the guitar isn't terrible).
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
this is my first build and im extremely limited on tools and have very little knowledge. could i get some help?

i have a JB for the bridge its just the hole that runs through to the cavity in the back is too small and i dont know how to make it any wider. i dont have a router. what exactly is coil tapping?

also when i started, i rushed and drilled a hole for the switch that is too large for the switch. is there any way to fix this? i feel this project going downhill fast.
All you need as fas as wiring tools go is a $10 soldering gun kit from radio shack, some electrical tape, and a wire cutter/stripper or even a razor or scissors will work. If you need to sand out/ drill holes I'd recommend using a dremel so you can get into all those crevices easily and not annihilate your guitar.

now this hole running through to the cavity in the back... are you talking about the one for the wiring?

As for that hole you already messed up... you might have to epoxy it and redrill or something. it's probably going to look like crap... depending on how much money or time you want to spend on this, it could easily be a better idea to just sell those pickups and get something else. it's only like a 100 dollar guitar new.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Last edited by tasty licks at Feb 18, 2008,
yes the hole into the cavity comes from the holes where the pickups go but the hole is so thing that it only fits the wires for one pickup. honestly i dont care if anything looks like crap because the concept of the guitar is torn up and destroyed. im trying to make it look used and abused and ridiculously raw and minimalistic. i would love to have two pickups but the hole is too small to run wires through and even then, the whole cavity in the back is ridiculously small. is there anyway to expand the cavity?

EDIT: i dont really care about the money or time. i already have a few playable nice guitars. i really just wanted to forage into the world of building and learn a little and maybe come out with something nice and learn something.