Often times, when questioned what tunings members of this board perferred, standard tunings such as EADGBE, #D#G#C#F#A#D, DGCFAD were the ones being played, with many guitarist shuning any breath of droping tunings such as DADGBE or CGCFAD which are amongst the popular few out there.

However, never have a found where someone has really gave a definative reason as to why they're "less" of a tuning aside from the fact that they're perhaps easier to play, in that of power chords which can easily be played with one finger instead of two.

Upon searching the internet for a possible answer to this I found this paragraph within an article on a site:

quoted from http://www.thirdhandcapo.com/basics.html

"Standard tuning is standard because it offers the most versatility. You can play with relative convenience in many different keys using standard tuning. Non-standard tunings are much more specific. Usually they're effective in only one key. A particular tuning may give you a great I chord, a cool IV chord, and an acceptable V chord, but perhaps offer no good way to finger a relative minor. This is why most people who use open tunings a lot, use a lot of different open tunings. Otherwise everything starts to sound the same."

So, perhaps a few of you could make some since of this?
Quote by Diminished29
Often times, when questioned what tunings members of this board perferred, standard tunings such as EADGBE, #D#G#C#F#A#D, DGCFAD were the ones being played, with many guitarist shuning any breath of droping tunings such as DADGBE or CGCFAD which are amongst the popular few out there.

However, never have a found where someone has really gave a definative reason as to why they're "less" of a tuning aside from the fact that they're perhaps easier to play, in that of power chords which can easily be played with one finger instead of two.

Upon searching the internet for a possible answer to this I found this paragraph within an article on a site:

quoted from http://www.thirdhandcapo.com/basics.html

"Standard tuning is standard because it offers the most versatility. You can play with relative convenience in many different keys using standard tuning. Non-standard tunings are much more specific. Usually they're effective in only one key. A particular tuning may give you a great I chord, a cool IV chord, and an acceptable V chord, but perhaps offer no good way to finger a relative minor. This is why most people who use open tunings a lot, use a lot of different open tunings. Otherwise everything starts to sound the same."

So, perhaps a few of you could make some since of this?

this makes sense. in standard D tuning, it goes like DGCFAD,
while in drop D its DADGBE

Standard tuning provides much more flexibilty as you can play normal scales and minor progressions without having to adjust your fingering.

Drop tuning is only good for specific songs, as it leaves no room for improvosition or as the write said, a relative minor.

Generally its easier to play a song in Standard tuning than in drop.
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
I feel that misuse of Drop Tunings is what makes them bad.
As in: Barring and chugging.
When it's done out of laziness, it's wrong. Otherwise, dropped tunings can be very cool. Try and experiment chords on it, and come up with some crazy, but simple chords like this one...

G-8
D-7
A-5
D-5
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
i don't like it because people who use it have a tendency to play A LOT of open D (or C) strings between their notes when there are trying to sound cool and creative.. but we all know what there really doing....
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212