hi, i've been thinking about taking up bass lately and am really just kinda looking around at the moment, at least til my next paycheck. anyway, i decided to come here first for the general community opinion. so put simply, which bass should i get to really start out with. it's not much, but i have a target price of around £150 and i'll also need to get an amp too. so basically, i'm looking for something thats good, but affordable too. what do you recommend?
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
gtfo?
Quote by carcass255
long hair is cool mate

haircuts are for people in concentration camp
no but seriously, i have no idea...
Quote by carcass255
long hair is cool mate

TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
sry 4 the 3ple-post, mate =)
Quote by carcass255
long hair is cool mate

Quote by emr_steelmech

look like good ones to consider, thanks for that i can probably spend a bit more than £150 or, as you say, around $300 but i don't wanna have to go to high cuz, quite honestly, my wages are crap
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
An SX precision or jazz. That'd be roughly 150.. i think

or maybe something J&B, they're pretty good for starter basses.
A good starter pack is the Squier J-bass or Squier P-bass starter pack. They come with everything you need for only $300 American (not sure what it is where you are). Its a pretty decent bass, never had any problems with it. You get a rumble-15 bass amp, the bass (J-bass or P-bass, your choice) , gig bag, tuner, and instructional Dvd. Its a pretty good value for starters.
Man, after looking for the cheapest guitar possible, I'm with you on this front. I would definitely recommend finding a cheap starter pack. You're not going to get the best quality but you're going to get something you can put your fingers on and play.
Quote by MangeRamone
gtfo?

Quote by MangeRamone
no but seriously, i have no idea...

warned for spam. seriously, get an idea. don't post unless you have something to say.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Oooh you're from Guildford? Me too , well I live about 20 mins away in Cranleigh but that's awesome.

As has been said, check out the basses in the FAQ, then go try them out in Andertons.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Oooh you're from Guildford? Me too , well I live about 20 mins away in Cranleigh but that's awesome.

As has been said, check out the basses in the FAQ, then go try them out in Andertons.

lol, funny you should say andertons cuz i went in there on my way home from work and tried an ibanez gsr190. ok, i can't play right now, but was still kinda fun messing with it and all, even if it was about 10-20 mins lol
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
You're from guildford.....shizzle, snap!!! 3 surrey kids on the same page at once.

Anyways, back on topic,
Get along to andertons, they're really good with beginners and they really know their stuff, i'm in the process of getting a 5 string from there.
I never knew there were this many people from Guildford on the forums!

Yeah Andertons are usually really helpful and they've really lowered their prices recently too.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by Bass First
An SX precision or jazz. That'd be roughly 150.. i think

or maybe something J&B, they're pretty good for starter basses.

Stay away from SX, they are a terrible brand.

TS, I reccomend you check out the Bass Forum FAQ, they have a ton of reccomendations, and not a single bass mentioned goes over your budget, might I add.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
yeah, they were very helpful in explaining which basses are usually good for beginners and what comes with which starter pack. i was on their website the other night and the only bass pack they had was a stagg pack that had no amp, but they had like 2 or 3 in the shop and all came with amps lol
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
try this epiphone Eb-3 SG. I played it a few times for some church junk and for some things in school. has a pretty decent sound if you ask me. and it's $299. try testing it out at a music store, see if you like it.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
The website isn't that well updated. I swear half the stuff in the store isn't on there.

They have a whole rack of beginner stuff in there, i found it useful.

FAQ on here is good too mind. Read that.
yeah, and even given out out of date the site was, it still gave me some ideas
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
They've recently updated it though because it's got the new Fenders on it. They just haven't taken all the old stuff down or added other new stuff on.

I'm glad there's more Fenders in there now though, at one point nearly all the decent basses were Warwicks .
Quote by Bumper

Quote by AccidentsHappen
try this epiphone Eb-3 SG. I played it a few times for some church junk and for some things in school. has a pretty decent sound if you ask me. and it's $299. try testing it out at a music store, see if you like it.

This forum does not have a high opinion of Epiphone basses. I have heard that the two main gripes with them is that EBs neckdive worse than the thunderbird, and that they have a really muddy tone. They do have, in my opinion, the coolest shape a bass can come in, though.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by indie-bassist
I'm glad there's more Fenders in there now though, at one point nearly all the decent basses were Warwicks .

Is that a problem?

But TS, your best bets would be either the Squire or Ibanez starter packs, though you may need to slightly strech your budget.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I would personnally go for the squire, as I have not heard many bad opinions concerning them
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
i shall have to have a look, i've heard squire have a good reputation, so next chance i get, i'll ask to try that out as well :P probably at the weekend, i'll bring my friend along for his opinion cuz he knows more about this sort of thing than i (he's been playing guitar for...i've lost count now, at least 5 years i think)
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by kranoscorp
Stay away from SX, they are a terrible brand.

I love my SX to bits. GREAT tone.
But that's a taste thing.

Also, TS i would spend a bit less on a bass and get a good amp.
Quote by Bass First
I love my SX to bits. GREAT tone.
But that's a taste thing.

Also, TS i would spend a bit less on a bass and get a good amp.

I do not understand where all of you SX lover come from. The only reason I would ever buy an SX is because they have an excellent website, and some of the best gear pics I have ever seen.

Although the seller is wonderful, the merchandise is terrible.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Guys, SX doesn't get sold here in the UK, not anywhere I've seen anyway. Plus it would cost more to buy one and ship one over than it would to just buy a Squier.
Quote by Bumper

i've been into andertons again today to try out a yamaha bass (can't remember the make) just so i've tried out both bass packs they had out, and even though i spent a rather short time on each, i think i prefered the ibanez. which would you guys say is generally the better one? i'm told both are good for beginners, which is obviously what i want
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/21391
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/21398
Slightly over your budget but you said you could stretch a bit more if needed.
I would reccomend one of those 2. Which one is up to you, go try both and see which you feel more comfortable with, that's the cheapest price I've seen them online for aswell.
Quote by kranoscorp
This forum does not have a high opinion of Epiphone basses. I have heard that the two main gripes with them is that EBs neckdive worse than the thunderbird, and that they have a really muddy tone. They do have, in my opinion, the coolest shape a bass can come in, though.

I agree, it's a bass either you love it or hate it, even though I'm a special case, and I think it's pretty decent. It does have kind of a muddy tone, if you want it that way. There's 4 knobs on it and you can get it to sound more clean if you wish. The neck on it's a bit wide, but once you get used to it it's really quite nice.

Idk, your first bass doesn't have to be the best one ever, afterall, you might not even like playing bass

I'd test it out on a decent amp before you buy it though for sure, you might hate it. But you could love it... you could always send it back :P
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
I personally prefer Ibanez
unless it's the GAXB

I had sooo many problems with that bass when I owned it

but I dont like Yamahas as a general rule, except my mates, his is ok, I had to play one today in this tiny music shop, was trying out a bass chorus pedal....reminded me how much I hated Yamahas....to me they just feel badly made and clunky
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I haven't played a yamaha pack, i got the squier one, but have played an ibanez one after i got the squier, and i prefer the Ibanez. You won't be disappointed with either though.
i haven't tried the squier pack yet because they didn't have any in stock for some odd reason lol. they said they should be coming in by the end of the month, but so far i quite like the ibanez. one of my friends is gonna go in with me tomorrow for his opinion
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by kranoscorp
I do not understand where all of you SX lover come from. The only reason I would ever buy an SX is because they have an excellent website, and some of the best gear pics I have ever seen.

Although the seller is wonderful, the merchandise is terrible.

I never actually went to the website or anything. I picked it up in a store one day to play around on it. Loved it, next day, same thing. Eventually i bought it.

On topic: Have you thought about amps yet?
Also, try investing in a sammick?
actually, i haven't thought much of amps past the one in the starter pack which is only 10w though i dunno what brand it is. i have seen an eden n8 practise amp which looks rather good and at £70, what's your suggestion on that? i can't have a massive amp since my room is too small for one lol

edit: it's an ibanez bsa10 amp that comes with the gsr190 bass
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Last edited by Raizer Sabre at Feb 20, 2008,
bumping up the thread XD

anyway, i went and tried a yamaha bbg4s bass today and, although it doesn't come as a pack, which is what i was looking for to save some money, i found i liked it. i could rest my thumb quite comfortably on the pickup or whatever it is under the string when playing the low e, while the ibanez and esb yamaha i also tried were a bit further back or i couldn't place my thumb like i could the bbg4s. also tried out the nemesis eden n8 practise amp which is also pretty good. although when i worked out how much it would all cost, including a strap, tuner and lead, it worked out at around £250 which is a bit higher than i really wanted to go, but then i guess budgets get stretched all the time. just wondering the general opinion on that, would that be worth going for, you think?
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3