Hey Everybody.
I've been consumed by the want for a fuzz pedal and have tried out a few here and there.
I have my eyes set on a Fuzz Factory, pretty mainstream, but it is defs for a reason.
So even though I've tried it once, I was wondering from someone who owns or has tried for an extended period of time if the pedal can get a light blues fuzz as well as the strong cutting fuzz it is known for (along with the really crazy settings). I want it for some blues and wacked up rock.
Thanks
I've gotten the best fuzz tone ever from an old Peavey Bandit 65 with bad pots...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
The Fuzz Factory is excellent for those crazy sounds. It's capable of more subdued fuzz, but it can be difficult to dial in. You should check out the demo on the ZVex website.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Check out the Roger Mayer Fuzzes? Roger Mayer was Jimi Hendrix's effects dude. The Classic is a germanium fuzz face, modded to Hendrix's specs, perfect for Are You Experienced? tone. The Axis fuzz is the silicon fuzz Hendrix used on every recording after Are You Experienced?, and I have one, and I love it to bits. You can get some of the germanium Hendrix out of it, though not perfectly. Roger Mayer has other fuzzes out too.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Yeah, I've watched the video many a time.
I was just wondering if anyone could confirm that it does have a subtler fuzz along with of the ten ton fuzz I keep hearing (which I love to death also).
Also I've looked up some of the other fuzz and although it does sound amazing, I am a huge fan of RATM, so some of the wacked stuff the fuzz can do that the others can't would be a huge bonus if this thing works out.
If you're after RATM tone don't get a fuzz. You need a guitar with single coils, preferably a tele, and a British voiced amp, then flick to the neck pickup and whack up the amps volume for an extremely ballsy tone.
not so much after RATM tone. Just the effects.
I really desire a fuzz though. I play hefty blues and rock with a side salad of grunge stuff plus weird sounds like the Morello.
Essentially to sum it all up, can I get a light SRV fuzz tone out of a ff along with everything else?
SRV doesn't have a fuzzy tone. His tone is actually more like Morello's. A pushed amp (this time American) and single coils (except its a strat). I recomend a tube screamer or two or the Keeley Fuzz Head. For the grunge I would go with a Big Muff.
yeah, not so big on the big muff. it just limits your tone a lot. would either of those other two be good for light and heavy, heavy fuzz and everything between? im actually reeavaluating my ff decision. is there any pedal that can like be an overdrive/booster for solos and stuff and also like a fuzz sometimes? like a pedal where you can switch either the fuzz or the overdrive or both at once? that would be perfect.
Quote by thebrewfan
If you're after RATM tone don't get a fuzz. You need a guitar with single coils, preferably a tele, and a British voiced amp, then flick to the neck pickup and whack up the amps volume for an extremely ballsy tone.

British? I thought Morello used an American Voiced Peavey or something of the sort.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
^he uses a JCM 800 through a Peavey cab.

^^I don't know of any pedals that work as both. You can get the tone you're after with a nice British tube amp. An Orange Tiny Terror (or the like) is probably a good bet here. If you set it so that its breaking up when your volume is on full and then roll back your volume for a cleaner sound. Then buy something like a Keeley Fuzz Head and step on that for a really fuzzy big sound.

EDIT: You could also just use a cleaner amp setting and use the Fuzz Head on full and then adjust the amount of fuzz with your volume knob. A small amount of fuzz can sound like overdrive. David Gilmour does this and he has amazing tone.
Last edited by thebrewfan at Feb 21, 2008,
Keely Fuzz Head? I'll check it out.
Not so into buying a new amp. I have a 60W Line6 Spider II, and although it has some faults, its a fairly nice amp for the moment.
Any other suggestions I should take a look at?
Fuzzes don't sound as good through solid state/hybrid. They're best used on tube amps.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by dsubstanceuk
The Fuzz Face is crazy, it's not really a fuzz is it?

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Did you meant the Fuzz Factory dsubstance?

The fuzz face is pretty regular as far as fuzz tones go...
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Did you meant the Fuzz Factory dsubstance?

The fuzz face is pretty regular as far as fuzz tones go...

Nobody actually knows what he's on about.

If I use 4/5 of fuzz out of my Axis, I can get a Hendrixy tone dependant on the guitar's volume. If I use 3/4 of the fuzz, I can get a Gilly tone.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Oh ****, I meant the Fuzz Factory yeah, the Z-Vex thing that Matt Belamy uses. XD. I can see how saying "Fuzz Face" could cause confusion. >_<

Yeah, the fuzz factory is pretty crazy.

But that's exactly the reason I bought one
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
try a fulltone 69 fuzz prob the best ive tried, cept they stopped making em so ebay jobby :x i use it thru a blues deluxe and i practically keep it on all the time and use the volume knob on the guitar to go from clean to pure dirt, it drives the amp superbly...
Quote by johntb
try a fulltone 69 fuzz prob the best ive tried, cept they stopped making em so ebay jobby :x i use it thru a blues deluxe and i practically keep it on all the time and use the volume knob on the guitar to go from clean to pure dirt, it drives the amp superbly...

Yeah, I do the same with my Axis Fuzz.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
So what I'm getting is that as long as it is a fairly decent fuzz, it'll be alright?
I just don't see many practical advantages that the Fuzz Factory has over a Fuzz Face, etc.
Like it oscillates (which I don't really care for much) and it has velcro fuzz and stuff, but its not like I'd be using that more than twice in a set list (Id probs get annoying). Not to mention the price. I mean Factory is a nice nice pedal, but I feel a regular fuzz would mabye be more worth it? Thoughts anyone?
American Strat
Line6 Spider II 60W
EH HOG
see if you could try Subdecay's flying tomato (the name alone made me curious..) -
i liked it a lot - bought it..
cleans up perfectly, has plenty of control, and lots of balls when u need it
Quote by rhcp_freak
The Axis fuzz is the silicon fuzz Hendrix used on every recording after Are You Experienced?, and I have one, and I love it to bits. You can get some of the germanium Hendrix out of it, though not perfectly. Roger Mayer has other fuzzes out too.

I'm selling mine! I haven't used it in a long time, and it only sounded good with the drive on 10, IMO: which is too much for most things.