right, last time i checked i wasnt completely stupid as far as amp knowledge. I know the fundemental differences between class A and A/B tube amps and their relative percieved volume per output power and know that their both beter than a solid state. What im confised about thought is matching these amps to speakers. If a speaker is rated at 30w it goes with an amp around or often just under 30w but i know tube amps are around twice as loud as a solid-state of the same wattage so is the speakers rating for solid-state or tube as standard or is it all the same-
been really bugging me..
Quote by fleh
i know tube amps are around twice as loud as a solid-state of the same wattage so is the speakers rating for solid-state or tube as standard or is it all the same-
been really bugging me..

You have some wrong info here regarding the volume differences. A 30 watt amp is pushing out 30 watts, ss or tube. Some amp manufacturers are a little modest with there amp wattage though.
The classic (all tube) AC30 puts out 33W and is equipped with a pair of 15W Celestion Blue speakers. A watt is a watt. Tube amplification creates harmonics that increase "perceived volume," but not actual dB's.

It comes down to what kind of sounds you're after. Blues players generally want that speaker breakup sound that comes from pushing them to their limits, while metal players generally want much higher rated speakers so that all their distortion is tighter sounding straight from their amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
so a 30w tube amp doesnt push the speaker any harder than a 30w SS amp its all to do with harmonics?
^exactly As long as your speakers rated watage is more than the amp you have nothing to worry about. and I 30 watt tube amp can push a 500 watt speaker it doesn't matter, unless you are want the cone break up as slats was talking about.
And don't let the "fundamental differences" between Class A and Class A/B really make a difference in your mind.

For one thing, pretty much EVERY higher wattage tube amp (25 watts +) is run in Class A/B.
Secondly, there's more to an amp's tone than whether or not it's Class A or Class A/B. It depends on the circuit, there's no blanket generalization we can make about the tone of an amp of either class.