I've always just done guitar/bass straight to line in, and I just realized how horrible that sounds. I'm using Amplitube now, and I wanna try to do that, like play through amp modeling software on the computer. I read that straight to line in is bad to do though if you do that.

So my question is if I'm playing direct to the line in on my computer using Amplitube, do I need a DI box or anything? I don't really know what they do, and I was wondering if I needed one to get better tone or something. My bass has some hum, I think a DI box would help, but I might use like a VST noise suppressor or something instead of buying a DI box if I don't have to.
A DI box would benefit your recordings. I'm pretty sure that you still won't get a great result with your stock soundcard though.
There is poetry in despair.
I have a Behringer DI120 box. It's okay, as in it works, but it really doesn't bring the sound to life much more than just going straight in. We did the bass on our album using a SansAmp DI box, and man, was it sweet. Highly recommended.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If you really want to use your PC as an amp with software like that you will be best off with some type of recording interface.
The PCI interface cards are the best since they have very low latency.

I run the m-audio 2496 in my studio and am loving it. Very low latency and great sound quality.

The thing about DI boxes is they wont help with the latency you get with your stock sound card. A proper interface will give nearly no latency at all.

I suggest getting one that works best with your setup in terms of input and output connection type but brand and such is also important.
The DI box plugs into your interface, no matter how good or bad the interface is, and no matter what kind of latency you are experiencing.

It is a means of converting line level to mic level.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.