Basically, I'm going to record a video myself covering a song, and I want to lower the volume of the guitar parts and keep the drumtrack, so that my guitar can be heard alot better.

I don't know if this is possible, but it doesn't have to be perfect. As long as I can still hear the drums and barely hear the guitar, it'll work for me.
If it's not a multitrack mix then you can't really do it. The only thing you could do is try EQ'ing it, but that won't work with a full drum kit and guitar.
There is poetry in despair.
I dont know but i want to know this also, i would say edit the guitar in guitar pro or just use midi or find a backing track on the net, not sure though
With a bit more effort you can take a program similar to protools or nuendo and a drum program similar to BFD. I'm not familiar with garage band or the like, but something like that should work. Take the song you want to cover and place it on a track in the editor, match the tempo, then copy the drums kick, snare, hat/cymbals as close as you can for each main pattern using the midi editor. Once you find the pattern for each different part of the song you can loop them with small variations here and there. Then you can make the fills to transition each section. If you do all of that than it's not much more effort to add in the rhythm track.
If you take a midi track into logic or cubase. You can assign some very good synth sounds and effects to the tracks to get a really good backing track.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by BodaciousBob
If you take a midi track into logic or cubase. You can assign some very good synth sounds and effects to the tracks to get a really good backing track.

The best idea. But obviously, you'll have to have some good synths in the first place.
The short answer to your question is: mostly any software will work, but you will likely not achieve the results you desire. Unfortunatly, programming isn't nearly as advanced as our brain. We have the ability to pick out distinct sounds, our bodies are programmed to pick up audio disturbances much more acutely than visual per say. Example, even while we are asleep, our brain doesn't "disconnect" our hearing abilities, pretty useful if humans are out in the wild and need to listen for predators sneaking up... ya a bit sidetracked haha. Computer programming isn't at a stage where somebody can write a program that says, these are vocals, take them out and don't damage the rest of the song.

If you have time to try this, setup the camera so that it points towards you standing in front of the drums. This way it will capture the drums completely but still have you in as the focus of the vid. Play around with the angle that the guitar cab faces the camcorder's mic. That way you can control how much guitar is pointing directly at the mic, and in theory, reduce the amount capture in the track.
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Last edited by Crazy Drummer69 at Feb 18, 2008,
What song are you trying to cover? Try looking for it on www.guitarbt.com; they have really well made tracks. I think you can also find some tracks that contain vocals; good luck.
Quote by Rectification
What song are you trying to cover? Try looking for it on www.guitarbt.com; they have really well made tracks. I think you can also find some tracks that contain vocals; good luck.

An Obscure black metal song called "En Dunkel Fard". I had to learn it by ear so I'm pretty sure there are no drum tracks out there for it.
I would assume not. Then your best bet might be to try and make a drum track using software.
Basically, It's not possible. You can get close results by EQ'ing it, but it will never be perfect- the instrument you want will sound flat, and the ones you don't will still be there. I've tried it.
Multiple times I have suggested- Artists should release music in a .track format (my invention) which stores the different tracks separately in the file, so that they could be disassembled by potential remixers. Of course, the only artists who would do this would be those wishing to be remixed, but really, who doesn't?
Other music format ideas- .3pm, being a reversed mp3 file, of course.
Quote by Talisensis
Basically, It's not possible. You can get close results by EQ'ing it, but it will never be perfect- the instrument you want will sound flat, and the ones you don't will still be there. I've tried it.
Multiple times I have suggested- Artists should release music in a .track format (my invention) which stores the different tracks separately in the file, so that they could be disassembled by potential remixers. Of course, the only artists who would do this would be those wishing to be remixed, but really, who doesn't?
Other music format ideas- .3pm, being a reversed mp3 file, of course.

This post is nearly 4 years old...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com