Ok, so. I'm thinking of giving some beginner to intermediate guitar lessons. However, I'm not sure exactly how much I should charge. So, I'm gonna list my skills as a guitar, in a sense pitch my services to you, and I'd like you guys to give me your opinions on how much my services are worth. Cheers.

Have been playing for a bit over 2 years.
Can nearly play Inferno (Unleash The Fire) by Symphony X (is the hardest song I can play)
Am a fan of many different styles including metal, rock, funk, jazz, latin, flamenco, blues and classical.
Relatively good theory knowledge including scales, modes, chord construction, as well as the ability to read notated rhythm fairly well and notated notes a bit.

Um, I think that's all my skills, if I think of anything else I'll post it here. So, how much do you think I'm worth? =)
sig goes here
the big thing is experience and with only 2 yrs under ur belt i wouldnt charge more than 15 bucks for 30 mins
What teaching abilities/skills have you got?

I wouldn't pay to be taught by you. Thats just me, but I guess others would
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
ive been teaching for 10 years and started out with school friends and colleagues and gradually raised my prices after that time with my experience. You need Enthusiasm, patience and confidence more than technique. 90% of my 200 odd pupils i've taught were beginners, so don't worry.

What to do is plan your lessons and start really basically. Things that help are putting stickers on their fret markers and also using a mirror to make them more accomplished quicker. Technically teach 1/2 size chords on the treble strings for small kids and stick to a lot of one string riffs or melodys for people first few lessons because chances are they wont be able to use a tuner correctly so they wont be discouraged if its one string in tune.

Any q's just PM me.
Last edited by Raaaaar at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by Ænimus Prime

+1
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^ I have a question. I'm going to teach a friend a bit who's only just started. He likes Dream Theater, Megadeth, Steve Vai... that kind of stuff mainly. What would you suggest teaching him riff-wise?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by DigUpHerBones
^ I have a question. I'm going to teach a friend a bit who's only just started. He likes Dream Theater, Megadeth, Steve Vai... that kind of stuff mainly. What would you suggest teaching him riff-wise?

you can't learn stuff like that right at the start, just concentrate on helping him learn the basics of playing the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by DigUpHerBones

smoke on the water, ironman to help with slide technique, paranoid for hammer on technique. Just keep it easy but if he is into that music he will probably progress quickly.
Quote by steven seagull
you can't learn stuff like that right at the start, just concentrate on helping him learn the basics of playing the guitar.

That's why I asked. I need something simple enough, which isn't common in what he listens to, but that will keep him motivated and make him feel like he's progressing on a scale which he understands.

Quote by Raaaaar
smoke on the water, ironman to help with slide technique, paranoid for hammer on technique. Just keep it easy but if he is into that music he will probably progress quickly.

Cheers.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
It doesn't really matter what he listens to, basics are basics and unfortunately you don't find them all that often in metal.

Learning to play should be motivation enough for anyone to do whatever is necessary to progress.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'll rephrase that

'I need something simple enough, which isn't common in what he listens to, but that will keep him motivated and make him feel like he's progressing on a scale which he understands as well as teaching him the basics/the rest of it.'

Yeah, I know, and it is for me, but I'd like to know if I could find some things that he listens to already to tie in with it just to add another level to it. The 'on the scale he understands' bit.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
I'll rephrase that

'I need something simple enough, which isn't common in what he listens to, but that will keep him motivated and make him feel like he's progressing on a scale which he understands as well as teaching him the basics/the rest of it.'

Yeah, I know, and it is for me, but I'd like to know if I could find some things that he listens to already to tie in with it just to add another level to it. The 'on the scale he understands' bit.

i hear what you are saying kids get put off by mary had a little lamb and crap like that. you should incorporate some easy versions of songs..as i said chords on treble strings only are effective. I have a lot of tunes ive spent time simplifying and simplifying if you want i can mail them to you in pdf or gp5 format.
Quote by Raaaaar
i hear what you are saying kids get put off by mary had a little lamb and crap like that. you should incorporate some easy versions of songs..as i said chords on treble strings only are effective. I have a lot of tunes ive spent time simplifying and simplifying if you want i can mail them to you in pdf or gp5 format.

What kinds of tunes?
Well, obviously I wouldn't teach you Ænimus Prime, because you're probably better than I am. I'm thinking people who've never played a guitar before, or who think playing Green Day is hard.

Ok, so I have a price of $15 per half hour. Anyone got any other ideas?

Alright, thankyou for those suggestions there Raaaaar. I'll make sure to keep them in mind. And if I've got more questions, I will PM you.

Oh, and you shouldn't really go asking a different question in an existing thread, but in answer to your question, go Bad Horsie by Steve Vai. Just teach him the main riff, easy as.
sig goes here
Well, obviously I wouldn't teach you Ænimus Prime, because you're probably better than I am. I'm thinking people who've never played a guitar before, or who think playing Green Day is hard.
I am not very good. Seriously, the little thing under my name says 'beginner' for a reason. Even if I had never played guitar before, I would want to know that my teacher can actually teach.

This may or may not be relevant, but I have never had guitar lessons.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
The following rant assumes that $15 Australian is somewhat similar to $15 USD.

15 for half an hour is ridiculous for a beginner teacher.

The way I look at it, there's no point to charging so much money as a younger teacher. You could charge half that much and still be making twice minimum wage.

On top of that, there's no way to compete with someone charging 15 bucks an hour (or 8 bucks for half an hour), but plenty of music shops can compete with you if you charge 15 bucks for half an hour.
They've got advertising, a real environment to teach in, spare equipment, a selection of teachers... what business would you have charging that much?

So try doing what I do: charge 15 bucks for a full hour. You'll have the best rate in town, plus, students who are your age will be more interested because teenagers are poor.

What I've found from this is that instead of young kids who have little interest in playing the guitar to begin with, you end up teaching high-school age folks who are actually motivated to learn.

Thats just my take on the pricing situation, though. I think you shouldn't really be charging any money if you've only got 2 years under your belt... It's not really right, but it's not like I can stop you.

You have to remember that as a teacher, you're taking someone's money with the understanding that you'll impart information... you're obligated to impart CORRECT information for this fee. Make sure your basics are ROCK SOLID before you even think about going through with this.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord

The way I look at it, there's no point to charging so much money as a younger teacher. You could charge half that much and still be making twice minimum wage.

On top of that, there's no way to compete with someone charging 15 bucks an hour (or 8 bucks for half an hour), but plenty of music shops can compete with you if you charge 15 bucks for half an hour.
They've got advertising, a real environment to teach in, spare equipment, a selection of teachers... what business would you have charging that much?

So try doing what I do: charge 15 bucks for a full hour. You'll have the best rate in town, plus, students who are your age will be more interested because teenagers are poor.

What I've found from this is that instead of young kids who have little interest in playing the guitar to begin with, you end up teaching high-school age folks who are actually motivated to learn.

Thats just my take on the pricing situation, though. I think you shouldn't really be charging any money if you've only got 2 years under your belt... It's not really right, but it's not like I can stop you.

You have to remember that as a teacher, you're taking someone's money with the understanding that you'll impart information... you're obligated to impart CORRECT information for this fee. Make sure your basics are ROCK SOLID before you even think about going through with this.

Why, as long as he discloses that he can only teach kids and beginners he can charge what he likes and the demand will determine whether his prices should drop. I have friends who have music degrees and they have started out completely useless at teaching. It depends on the persons natural ability to communicate whether the information will get across.

I hate this attitude..go and work in Mcdonalds and tell them you shouldnt be making 5 dollars an hour because you arent an experienced burger flipper if you are so self righteous and ignorant.
He asked for advice and I gave it. There is a definite element of ethics to the situation, though.
There's a reason only people with a medical degree can be a doctor. There's plenty of demand for people who don't know what they're doing, but does it really help anyone?

Is it ok to help people learn?
Sure.
Is it ok to take people's money when you're not sure if you're qualified to do the job?
You answer that.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I'm also thinking about starting to give lessons to beginners. I'm thinking I would charge $10 for a half hour.

Although, I've been playing close to 4 years and I have an in depth knowledge of theory and techniques.
I started teaching after three years... and wow was it a lot harder than I thought. You need to be confident in what you're teaching, you need to know 100 different ways to teach the same thing, you need to have patience, you need to be likeable, and you need to present yourself in a professional manner no matter if your student is 8 or 80. It's incredibly important that you give the impression of "Wow, this guy is really amazing!", or else what you teach may not seem very important. You need to know a LOT of music... I'm not talking a few fingerpicking songs, a couple classic rock songs and a lot of songs from three bands you like, I'm talking about 35-45 different songs in every style you know. The best and easiest way to achieve this is to buy guitar books, go through 'em, and pick apart songs and relate them to exercises, so on and so forth. There's a lot of work involved if you want to be a good teacher.

Don't get lazy on your own playing, that's the biggest mistake I made.
An open mind never knows too much.
[quote="Rebelw/outaCordThe following rant assumes that $15 Australian is somewhat similar to $15 USD.

The way I look at it, there's no point to charging so much money as a younger teacher. You could charge half that much and still be making twice minimum wage. [/QUOTE"]
If you charge 10 per half hour, you're actually making a little under four times minimum wage where I am, which is just a little under 6. Basically, $20 an hour is pretty good money. But the flaw is that you pretty much need to have a lot of students to make it worth your while. Otherwise you're going to be doing a lot of other ****, possibly flipping burgers and playing gigs at night.

$15 per half hour is actually a VERY taim price where I live. There are people charging $5-$10 more than that PER HALF HOUR. Granted, these guys are very experienced and more than qualified, just saying. $15 an hour is pretty crappy compared to other rates. But, since he probably has no experience teaching, and has only been playing for two years, we'll go with $8 per half hour being a good idea.

Thread Starter, you could probably make off with $10 per half hour IF YOU'RE GOOD. If you're not a good teacher, then you don't have as high of chances of even being commisioned to do that.

This would appeal to me, the part about only teaching people who are actually motivated. If you're trying to teach someone who is genuinely unmotivated, then you're not going to get far. It may be a steal for the cash, but it's extremely frustrating. I teach for an hour and a half a day twice a week and it's very difficult to teach someone who is not interested/motivated to do something.

I am in very strong agreement with this statement. Nothing really to add to this.

Also, keep in mind that if you teach, don't just transcribe songs for kids. You need to actually teach them the theory behind the songs. My friend can play bass very well for someone who has only been playing for a year, but he doesn't know very much theory at all. I write songs and end up writing the bass to each song. I'm content with this, because it means that my songs will come out the way I want them to, but I would value his musical input. He can't really give input, though, if he doesn't know what the **** he's doing with each part.

Basically, theory is VERY IMPORTANT. And if there are any holes in what you teach someone, it is GOING TO bite you in the ass later on. So make absolutely sure that you teach everything correctly. If you spit something out that is false, don't just studder on embarassed like some people may. Correct any and all mistakes immediately, but with patience on the student, regardless of which end made the mistake, because you want to be considered a very good teacher.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I like the idea behind keeping the price low which is that anyone can afford lessons.
I do a beginner level class at my old high school where people can sign up for 40 bucks to join a 6-week group class that covers all the basics.

It's been really successful so far, we've done the program twice and had about 30 students. Come spring, we're going to add an intermediate class and an adult program.

Most of the money goes back to the community through the school, and I get paid my usual hourly rate, with the added benefit of connecting with students for future study.

Maybe I was a little too preachy before, but it does get irritating when people try to turn this whole thing into just another job. You deserve to be compensated for your time as a skilled laborer, yes, but music is also meant to be shared.

Plus, keeping lessons cheap will help to pay off the karmic debt created by downloading all of that illegal music.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by Ænimus Prime

+1

2 yrs is NOT enough experience to teach. I have been playing guitar for almost a decade and still have a lot to learn.

Jazz for example is VERY complex at times.

My teacher has been teaching private guitar lessons ever since he came out of music school (he's like what, 40-50 yo now). he has A LOT of qualifictions in composition etc. He charges me $25 an hour wich isn't to bad, but he knows a lot and went to music school etc!

I strongly suggest going to a lesson yourself and see what the teacher you find knows.
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord

It may or may not be a ridiculous price, but where I live in Australia that would actually be pretty cheap for ANY teacher. From what I can gather most lessons cost between $15 for a half hour up to $25.
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
Plus, keeping lessons cheap will help to pay off the karmic debt created by downloading all of that illegal music.

You know, I didn't like you or anything you said until I saw you say that. XD

Alright, first off, let me stress this point very clearly: I AM ONLY GOING TO BE TEACHING BEGINNERS. I.e, people who have never held a guitar before, or as I said before think that playing Green Day is hard. In regards to teaching the basics accurately, well I wasn't planning on teaching bad technique. I have thought about it a bit. And I already know that theory is important, I was planning on teaching that too.

Ok, what I've picked up here is that lots of people have different opinions as to how much I should charge and how long you should have been playing before you start teaching ect. ect. So, I'll take the recommended price of $10 and go from there. I'll just investigate the local market a bit and see what prices are and how much I should be charging. Oh and just so you know, I don't see this as just a job. Yes it's a way to finance myself, but it's also a way to share my love for music with others, as well as meet a bunch of other musicians.
sig goes here
People who have only been playing for 2 or 3 years should be best for teaching *beginners* because they understand their position more than someone who's been playing for 30 so should be able to give them a better understanding of the basics.
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
I like the idea behind keeping the price low which is that anyone can afford lessons.
I do a beginner level class at my old high school where people can sign up for 40 bucks to join a 6-week group class that covers all the basics.

It's been really successful so far, we've done the program twice and had about 30 students. Come spring, we're going to add an intermediate class and an adult program.

Most of the money goes back to the community through the school, and I get paid my usual hourly rate, with the added benefit of connecting with students for future study.

Maybe I was a little too preachy before, but it does get irritating when people try to turn this whole thing into just another job. You deserve to be compensated for your time as a skilled laborer, yes, but music is also meant to be shared.

Well, as he gets more qualified, from music school or whatever, he'll be able to charge more. But right now, his application to teach someone doesn't look too good. Right now, my agreement with my friend's mom is that I'll teach her how to play guitar so long as she lets me jam with her son and sleep over for a whole weekend since we live 70 miles away from each other. The only thing I need to do now is start doing it
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)