because u can only pickup the sharpest vibrations near the bridge of the guitar. either that or u need a big tube amp
The neck pickup isn't great for pinch harmonics as they tend to be very high frequencies...that's what your bridge pickup is for, your neck pickup is warm and bassy and not so responsive to treble frequencies.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
its not that its because pinch harmonics have a node around the neck pickup, you won't pick up so much string vibration there. that's why you hear natural harmonics around the 3rd fret still on your neck pickup.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
its not that its because pinch harmonics have a node around the neck pickup, you won't pick up so much string vibration there. that's why you hear natural harmonics around the 3rd fret still on your neck pickup.

Not really, nodes occur at fractions of the length of a vibrating string - as soon as you fret the string less of it can vibrate so the nodes all move.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ya they work a lot better with the bridge pickup. Plus it might be your setup like your distortion settings or pedal or whatever.
i play PHs more in the middle of my pups...
and i can do phs at the bottom of the neck pup on the low E string
Quote by steven seagull
Not really, nodes occur at fractions of the length of a vibrating string - as soon as you fret the string less of it can vibrate so the nodes all move.

there aren't any nodes when you play one string regularly. but when you play an artificial harmonic (pinch harmonic) you artificially introduce a node in there (pinch) and that's how you get another note.

pickups react to pretty much same frequency range, it doesn't make the neck pickup unable to hear any treble notes, u just hear more bass notes rather than their harmonics because it's closer to the anti-nodes (middle of the two nodes). bridge pickup is farther away from the anti-node thus picking up less of the lower harmonics, but more of the higher harmonics.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
there aren't any nodes when you play one string regularly. but when you play an artificial harmonic (pinch harmonic) you artificially introduce a node in there (pinch) and that's how you get another note.

pickups react to pretty much same frequency range, it doesn't make the neck pickup unable to hear any treble notes, u just hear more bass notes rather than their harmonics because it's closer to the anti-nodes (middle of the two nodes). bridge pickup is farther away from the anti-node thus picking up less of the lower harmonics, but more of the higher harmonics.

The nodes are always there, a plucked string vibrates with many different harmonics, like you said playing harmonics on a guitar is a simple matter of damping the string at one of these nodes to force a particular harmonic. The fret markers help you find the nodes on an open string, but as soon as you fret it they all move (likewise the anti-nodes all move) so you need to feel around a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

IMHO, the tonal qualities of the neck pickup has a lot to do with it.

FWIW, I had a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck position of my old Ibanez and could get pinch harmonics through it without a problem. I suppose it wouldn't matter if the stock pickup performed the same way only it didn't. They always got muted and were overall much harder to find whereas with the Air Norton, they were everywhere.

You might want to try an 85 or 81 in the neck position as more of they're power is focused in the upper mid-range.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
The bridge pickup is higher gain, and the neck is llower, so its harder to pick up the harmonic on the neck. Not impossible, just harder
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
steven seagull is right. Use your bridge pick up. A pinch harmonic using the neck pick-up just won't be as powerful as if you were using your bridge pick-up.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
^ Depending on the pickup
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681

Using an EMG 60, it won't be that great. I have some trouble getting them out of my 60 and they definitely aren't as pronouced as from the 81 in the bridge but still far from impossible.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Last edited by Ichimaru at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by jm1681

Well yeah but if you have two if the same pick-up the pinch harmonics will always be stronger using the bridge pick-up. I use Dimarzios (PAF Joe & Mo'Joe) and it's the same way in my RG, I can get them at the neck but using the bridge pick-up the sound waaaaay more powerful, then again the Mo'Joe is a harmonic overtone monster. It's still the same in every other guitar I've played.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
...if you have two if the same pick-up the pinch harmonics will always be stronger using the bridge pick-up...
agree
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头