I'm looking for a Tele to replace one I had a while ago and i don't have enough money for a really nice one. I'm looking at either a Squier Affinity or a Saga kit. I will replace the pickups in the Squier if I get it and I will put the same pickups in the kit if I get it. I'm leaning towards the kit because the Affinity body is thinner than a real Tele and made of mystery wood,with the kit I will get a basswood body and a rosewood fretboard. I also want to build something anyway and I would rather start fresh with something that could be nice instead of something that at its nicest will be a pretty Squier.
Quote by Fat Brian
I'm looking for a Tele to replace one I had a while ago and i don't have enough money for a really nice one. I'm looking at either a Squier Affinity or a Saga kit. I will replace the pickups in the Squier if I get it and I will put the same pickups in the kit if I get it. I'm leaning towards the kit because the Affinity body is thinner than a real Tele and made of mystery wood,with the kit I will get a basswood body and a rosewood fretboard. I also want to build something anyway and I would rather start fresh with something that could be nice instead of something that at its nicest will be a pretty Squier.

There are pros and cons to both. I've helped upgraded a Squier Tele and I've helped assemble a Saga kit (plus read about them all over the GB&C and other forums).

The Squier Affinity is a known quantity: Alder wood, not stringthrough, smaller nut size (compared to a Fender), inexpensive (specially Used), and the neck profile is pretty comfortable (some with smaller hands prefer them to the regular Fender neck).

The Saga, you already know, so I'll just go through some challenges we experienced. The neck heel and body's neck pocket is iffy: On the one we assembled, running a cloth string from the bridge to the nut during test fitting would make the high E too close to the edge of the fretboard and not quite aligned with the edge ... imagine an inverted V.

To compensate, we had to sand the left top edge of the body's neck pocket, move the bridge plate a few mm to the left, etc.

On both the Squier and the Saga, you already know that the electronics would need replacement. Some people prefer the Basswood of the Saga to the Affinity's Alder. For Tele-twang, it's about the bridge PU, although I'd give the advantage to the Alder body.

Some may disagree but I find the tweaked Affinity a better stealth weapon, specially when ran through a decent tube amp.

Good Luck with either. If nothing else, the learning experience, discovery of your capacity for patience, loads of planning and executing, etc. should all be worthwhile.

just go for the affinity, I have an affinity strat, and it sounds pretty damn good for dirt cheap. Besides, alder is a betterish sounding tonewood compared to basswood.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would go for a Squier.. At least you can play it and see it as a complete guitar instead of getting a box of parts and not knowing what it's gonna end up like, could be crap. I've heard MANY mixed reviews of Saga kits, from complete horror stories to people who love theirs, so it's more lucky dip than anything.

A squier with a rewire and some new pickups will most likely end up a better guitar than a saga kit IMO.
Ive built a tele kit from Saga, and the neck is crap.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
Ive built a tele kit from Saga, and the neck is crap.

On the contrary, I built a Saga, and now it's actually my main guitar.
I replaced the pickups and all the electronics though.
It seems to be very luck of the draw.

Why not get an SX from Rondomusic?
http://www.rondomusic.com/stl50.html
I hear that they're very good for modding.
Personally, I'd cut the headstock to look more like a Tele, but it seems like a good deal.

EDIT: Oh, and they have that SX in vintage white, sunburst (both 2 and 3 tone), and some blue color, in case you don't like blonde.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
your a lucky guy then, the frets needed alot of work, and there was something wrong with the trussrod.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
The smaller nut of the Affinity will be a problem with my sausage fingers. What is Saga's return policy if the stuff the send is BS ? The kit will be cheaper in the end if it goes smoothly, but there is a chance for a nightmare also.