Hi guys! I've been playing acoustic guitar for some time and would like to learn the electric guitar someone gave me as a present. I'm not really familiar with the setup of it. I got a really cheap amp and a really cheap guitar. However, the driving sound produce by the amp doesnt really sounds like distortion of what i've heard from songs. Is there anything else i need to get them? I'm from Singapore by the way. Thanks guys in advance!
The guitar and amp is quite important to the sound itself but what you should do is probably to get a distortion pedal if you want a different distortion.
LEARN THE SONGS CLEAN. I don't care if you want to sound like them right away, you should always learn a song clean.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well there should be some knobs on your amp to adjust the settings, such as: Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain/Overdrive, etc. If you want to know what kind of gear or sound the artist you are trying to emulate uses, check out www.guitargeek.com
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
dont get a distortion pedal..
they're ****.. in my opinion..
synthetic distortion = crap.
try playing through a better amp?

marshall, fender or mesa boogie should do the trick.
Quote by uvq
dont get a distortion pedal..
they're ****.. in my opinion..
synthetic distortion = crap.
try playing through a better amp?

marshall, fender or mesa boogie should do the trick.

Read the op again, it doesn't seem like he has 1500 bucks to buy for.
I'm sure you don't this been thrown at you, but I'd seriously say just play stuff in stores when you get the chance - you get a better knowledge of brands, guitars, amps etc., and you also get more confidence to be able to play to more than just yourself - Just go for a good guitar the first time to get the biggest boost first time, and you'll be okay.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
oh, okay. thanks guys. i'll keep them in mind. i would probably get a better guitar and a better amp once i got hold onto it. so does it mean that for now i dont have to get anything and just learn the basics first?

to oneblackened, i'm learning the songs clean. why u have to sound so agitated or something?
he may sound agitated but hes right. i'll say it nicer. just try and focus on playing the songs not only on the clean channel but playing them cleanly as well. hammer out all your mistakes now and then slowly build up your skills. gear can wait. you can build up your skills on anything.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by gj.taylor

to oneblackened, i'm learning the songs clean. why u have to sound so agitated or something?

good, I didn't know
You get a cookie for learning them clean.
(cookie is below)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.