What are these like? I haven't had the change to try one yet, but I'm a little bothered about how a guitar that can cost £210 can be- effectively- the SG equivalent of the Epiphone Les Paul, a £350 guitar.

Are they any good? Or would I be better of getting something else?

It would have to be versatile, clean humbucker stuff (Like Sublime, reggae etc.) and mild/strong-ish distortion like AC/DC, The Darkness, Rise Against and whatnot.

Cheers!
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
The SGs have always been cheaper than the LP's - less wood needed, Les Paul is still the maker's big name, so the price goes up again accordingly, but I agree - the epi SG prices are a little on the side - found the standard on gak.co.uk for £179. Huh?
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
They're pretty good for what you're paying for. Great guitars, can't really find much of a fault in them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know, plus the lack of a carved (or generally rounded) top probably cuts the cost. But the specs seem good, mahogony, set-neck, I assume the pups are Epis own but if you consider they're the same as the Epi LP custom.

Again, it was the cost that sort of got to me.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Personally, I'm very anti- Epiphone, other than the Prophecy and Elitist models, because their pickups are garbage. Here's a few other suggestions:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar?sku=518187

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH250NT-Electric-Guitar?sku=516687
(Keep in mind that these are passive EMGs, and they've got a coil tap for a more convincing single- coil tone for the Sublime and reggae)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
This has a nice, low price as well, so you can swap out the bridge humbucker for something nicer.
^Although you say the HSS MIM Strat has a low price, it's still about £150 more than the SG. In another context I would probably consider all three of those, but I already have a strat and EMGs aren't really what I'm after.

I'll probably have a look at the C-1 though, thanks.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
^Although you say the HSS MIM Strat has a low price, it's still about £150 more than the SG. In another context I would probably consider all three of those, but I already have a strat and EMGs aren't really what I'm after.

I'll probably have a look at the C-1 though, thanks.

Really? I was just using the standard 1 pound = $2 conversion, so that'd make the SG $420, which is $20 more than the strat...

Damn currency conversions..
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Really? I was just using the standard 1 pound = $2 conversion, so that'd make the SG $420, which is $20 more than the strat...

Yea, I know someone who bought an HSS Strat for just under £350, I believe. I prefer the SSS layout on a Strat anyway
Call me Callum

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Your conversion is about right (it is still roughly one pound for every two dollars), but pricing doesn't work like that; the UK simply pays much more (comparatively) for all guitar stuff (And in fact, most products you can think of). A guitar that is $200 in America isn't £100 here.. it'll be £200 here (so the equivalent of $400).

Basically, they don't take the exchange rate into account when they price guitars here. They just see the number (200, 450, whatever) and stick a £ in front of it instead of $, conversion rate be damned.