ok well im doing a course in graphic design in belfast northern ireland, there is a new campus of our college opening on the springfield road which is a divide between the catholic and protestant areas. this new campus was looking a logo designed for their building, letterheads, stationary package and whatnot so we were tasked to create one (the logo is for E3, Enterprise employability and entrepreneurship). The new campus also asked an advertising agency to do the same. so 20 of us in our class each worked on our logos and came up with one final one each, representatives from the new college came to look at our logos and three out of twenty logos were picked, mine being one. now i just found out that tommorow i have to present my logo, i would just like some tips as to how you guys would do so, hoping that some of you may have some experience in the area. oh and apparently our logos were far better than the advertising agencies which is nice lol.

p.s. this may have been the most boring thread i have created
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
i am a graphic designer and have been through this before.
just last week i had to present a series of 3d maps to a load of people from centre parks.
the main thing is to be confident in your design.
have a well made copy of the logo printed in good quality. if its small make it enlarged and mention what scale youve enlarged it to (makes you look more proffesional)
then just explain the features of your logo, try not to just state the obvious things in it.
hope this helps
have a reason for everything you do, they will like to hear the creation/thought process, and not that you threw it together cause it "looked cool". and yes, what simking said, be confident.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I'd print it or put it on a big screen, with a neutral background. (black if you're logo is mainly white, white if it's one colour).

Be sure to tell something about it. What colours you used, why? Same for shapes, foto's etc.

As far as presentation goes, you problaby know this: Be short, entertaining, maybe even funny depending on the people you talk to. Presentation skills problaby are a very important part in whether the "judges" remember your logo.

Good luck,

Johan
PS: Do you have the logo online? I'd like to see it
As xxunder-takerxx said, you've got to justify everything you do. I prefer to throw things together from a rough sketch and see what happens, but rely on my finely honed bull****ting skills to create metaphors and demonstrate what I was 'trying to express'.

Never mind that it's a cool logo, most companies are more concerned about what it represents, even if it looks bloody awful (see London 2012 Olympics for details...).

i only have a jpeg copy on this computer but there you go, cheers for the help people
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
I like it. Display a white on black (that one), a black on white, and also in context (an example of how/where it can be used).

What do you mean by "a divide between the catholic and protestant areas"? You could maybe draw parallels between that and the merging of the '3' and the 'E' as one. Just make sure you're 100% confident with your work and your words. Do that and you won't go far wrong.
Last edited by j_hunter_hkr at Feb 18, 2008,
im in my final year in ba graphic design - ive learnt that logos should be simple, not overcomplicated, recognisable from a decent distance away and should be able to work in black and white - i reckon youve accomplished that much at least, nice one
Idiot Pineapple wrote:

I've always held the theory that the Cold War was started because of guitar tabs.

Flickr-mus Prime
yeah i was thinking of mentioning that lack of colour would mean lack of offensiveness, like if their was blue or red in it (british flag) then catholics would be offended or if there was orange or green in it (irish flag) protestants would be offended but because its black and white there is no need to worry about that
Quote by skatooter
yeah i was thinking of mentioning that lack of colour would mean lack of offensiveness, like if their was blue or red in it (british flag) then catholics would be offended or if there was orange or green in it (irish flag) protestants would be offended but because its black and white there is no need to worry about that

You could but I wouldn't mention "offending" people. Just say it's neutral colours for that reason and also talk about the technical benefits of a 2 swatch logo (It can be applied to anything, print costs etc...)
My college group are re-designing a logo and school prospectus (About the school to parents) - Nearby to the college, lucky us.

I doubt we will be presenting this or giving a talk for that assignment; but for my Final Major Project, I have to write a 4 minute talk.

Anyhow, we were given tips such as:

- Don't have a script, so that you'll just be facing the paper and not your 'audience'.
- Talk about parts of your design, lift them up, point to each bit I guess. So it'll give the audience something to see, and they'll know more about your work.
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
You could but I wouldn't mention "offending" people. Just say it's neutral colours for that reason and also talk about the technical benefits of a 2 swatch logo (It can be applied to anything, print costs etc...)

yeah thats the kind of thing im looking for, could you advance on that any?