I'm writing a song that's mainly in Bm, but I need it to switch to Em (Phrygian actually..) for the interlude. Any ideas on how to do it so that it doesn't sound sudden?

If it helps, the part before the interlude is kind of driving, and it goes (tone per measure) B|A|G|F#, and I hold the F#. I want the bass to play a riff that will introduce Em, and the interlude has a forboeding feel.

I found a simple riff, it's ok.. but I want a better one. It's just F# G A B A G F# A G F# E in eighth notes...
Last edited by Wolftone08 at Feb 18, 2008,
well you could but if you were going to use that riff it would sound bad because of the repeted F#'s. becuase the notes of Em phrigin are E-F-G-A-B-C-D the f# and the f would clash. unless the F# was a passing tone it could be seen as a chromatic passing tone. one option would instead of holding a F# hold B instead and you could just play a alternatng G-Em because that would work in the key of Bm and then i would suggest playing around with a Bdim chord because phrygian has the note "F" instead of "F#" it would lower the Bm's 5th down a half step making it a dim chord wich is what would give it more of an exotic flavor im sorry if not making sence but yea id say avoid the F#'s and then it would sound more smoth transition
Most straightforward way (without extra practice or doing more work) is to lift your hand up and hit string 1-3 open while you shift your hand.

Then the usual, practice until your chord transition is better.

You could also change the key of the song to something that makes it easier to play.
Could you not just come off the F# and go to a B7 which could resolve nicely to the Em?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Could you not just come off the F# and go to a B7 which could resolve nicely to the Em?

CT

That's what I was going to suggest, except I was thinking B major instead of B7. But B7 is probably better.
The easiest would be to play the F#, move it down to F, then move it down to E.

I'm assuming you're playing power chords. Just to keep everything easy, please write powerchords with the "5" at the end, else I will think you're playing B major in the key of B minor and my head will explode.
^ is prolly the best way, a B(b5) would also be a good dissonant way to go into it (if you're going for dissonance)
Thanks for the suggestions... sorry I haven't responded.. they blocked the site at school. Anyway, I had already exhausted the possibility of B7, it's great for introducing Em, but completely changes the mood of the song. I don't want to just do it chromatically, because I want a smooth melodic transition into the interlude.

I also realize that the F# isn't in E phrygian, but I'm feeling a II-I transition into the interlude, and I'm trying to find the best way to do that. I'll make it phrygian after I make it E.. if that makes any sense...

Thanks for all your replies. I'll look into the diminished chord and maybe just the Bb as a diminished 5th. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I finally found what I'm going to use: A broken B+ chord. It's almost like the B7, but it doesn't have that 'major' feel that kills the mood. Thanks for everyone's help. You really got me thinking. Thread over.