I've got a Gibson Les Paul Studio with Alnico 490t/r pickups. They're pretty good, but i was wondering -- would it be a worthy investment for new pickups? I'm not sure what style i'd go for, as i play pretty much every style (from killswitch to john mayer).

Are there any really nice, really versatile pups that i should look at? Ones that would make my Gibby sound real sexy.

Thanks!
What's your amp? That has a bigger influence on tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
DiMarzio Steve's Special (for bridge) is by far my favourite pickup. Sexy is actually the best word I can think of. Dunno what it'd sound like in a Les Paul though.
Right now i'm at school, so i'm using this little Roland practice amp a friend gave me. He was from Japan, so i think it's from Japan as well. At home i've got a Crate. I need to upgrade. :-\
Alnico pickups are definately good pups (whether stock or a different brand like duncan). but the only problem with getting new pickups is usually you'll never know exactly what they sound like. So here are your options:

1) Go to a music store and look for a guitar with different pickups than just the guitar's brand(which isn't TOO common)
2)Find a friend who has a guitar with a different kind of pickups and play his.
3)Just go with whatever you buy and hope you don't regret it.

But here are my personal favorite aftermarkets:
1)Dimarzio Super Distortion
2)Dimarzio Tone Zone
3)Dimarzio DP159
4)Seymour Duncan Dimebucker
5)EMG 81/85 actives(high gain)
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I like the Dimebuckers, never heard them in a LP though. Not many of my friends up here play electric guitar. The ones that do have squiers, fenders, washburns, etc. A friend of mine just got an American Strat for christmas, but i'm pretty sure she's got stock pups on that thing. This is gonna be tough, eh? lol.
Quote by f12button
Right now i'm at school, so i'm using this little Roland practice amp a friend gave me. He was from Japan, so i think it's from Japan as well. At home i've got a Crate. I need to upgrade. :-\

If possible you should upgrade, but if you can't then I highly recommend the pickups that CullenT suggested. Except the Dimebucker.. that thing is utter crap.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by f12button
Haha, you think so? Some guy i know swears by them.

Maybe it's just personal preference, but I find them to be unbearably trebly. Not to mention the cleans are pretty bad. But then again, I don't really like Dime's tone anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by f12button
Haha, you think so? Some guy i know swears by them.

I know a lot of people swear at them...

Ts - if you want something that's capable of hitting pretty hard for metal rhythms then look at the Duncan Custom for the bridge, if you want a bit more versatility and little more warmth and raunch then the Custom 5 is probably a better bet for you. Neckwise you can't go wrong with the 59, or maybe the Pearly Gates if you want a little more sizzle from your neck pickup.

I can't imagine the Tone Zone being anything other than atrocious in a Les Paul, the Super Distortion could work if you want a lot of power in the bridge but it's not the most versatile pickup around.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by CullenT
Alnico pickups are definately good pups (whether stock or a different brand like duncan). but the only problem with getting new pickups is usually you'll never know exactly what they sound like. So here are your options:

1) Go to a music store and look for a guitar with different pickups than just the guitar's brand(which isn't TOO common)
2)Find a friend who has a guitar with a different kind of pickups and play his.
3)Just go with whatever you buy and hope you don't regret it.

But here are my personal favorite aftermarkets:
1)Dimarzio Super Distortion
2)Dimarzio Tone Zone
3)Dimarzio DP159
4)Seymour Duncan Dimebucker
5)EMG 81/85 actives(high gain)

sounds to me like you dont know **** about pickups
Quote by XxRATMprimusxX
sounds to me like you dont know **** about pickups

+1

I wouldn't really recommend any of them in this situation...it just looks like a cobbled together list of the most frequently mentioned pickups on UG.

oh...

old thread is old
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com