I have a dead low E 6th string on the 9th fret. It just thuds and rattles. All other strings on all frets (inc. 9th) ring true. What do I need to do?
New Epiphone Les Paul Standerd Plus Top.
Thanks folks
so does the E string sound okay on all other frets? Well in that case it's probably a problem with the fret. It might be too short on that one string so the string buzzes against the 10th.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I tried an epiphone les paul standard once and it had a similar problem but on the 12th fret. You could either raise the action on that side or file down that side of the 9th fret.
Action is most likely your problem. Raise the string a little using the thumbwheels. If that dosent work, check the slot on the nut, make sure its not too deep. Also, check the neck for warping.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by roast
Action is most likely your problem. Raise the string a little using the thumbwheels. If that dosent work, check the slot on the nut, make sure its not too deep. Also, check the neck for warping.

If the action was the problem then it would have the problem on all of the strings wouldn't it?
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
If the action was the problem then it would have the problem on all of the strings wouldn't it?

Correct. Sounds like the fret needs leveled. Let a lutheir do it.
Not necessarily, no. The thumbwheels may higher or lower a few strings, but you may find that raising that side a little might help.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Quote by roast
Not necessarily, no. The thumbwheels may higher or lower a few strings, but you may find that raising that side a little might help.

+1
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Yay! I got a +1. First time someone ever listened to me on the forums, despite the fact im usually right. :P Im in love with myself.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310