Why don't you like the bands you dislike? Again, people say certain bands are, "bad", while others are "good."

This is not a discussion, but more of a serious question. As an active musician who plays Metalcore/Post-Hardcore, I'm trying to compose music that isn't "bad" to me, but isn't "bad" to everyone else. That way, it's win all around, and I enjoy my emotions in music.

So back to the point, why don't you like (Common bands that are hated, from my observations) A7X, The Devil Wears Prada, JFAC, etc. Why do you like TDEP, TFOT, BTBAM, etc.?
well, here's the deal:

people, as a large group, enjoy music that has at least one, usually more, of the following features:

1. must be danceable / grooveable / moshable - something to move to.

2. must have a memorable melody or hook - something for the listener to remember. an hour-long set of blast beats and neoclassical shred will sound cool, but not be memorable to most listeners

3. the song must convey energy and/or an emotion - connect with your audience at a deeper level

i can't speak for all those bands you listed, but i guarantee that they all have found a way to please audiences.

that's the double-edged sword of the entertainment business. You want to be loved, but you don't want to pander or sell out... it's a fine line, best navigated with talent, patience and relentless practice.
bring me the horizon;
because they are pretty boy douches, (lead singer anyway)
and he only reason the majority of their fans listen to them is because they fancy him.
it annoys me,
theres other random stuff that i refuse to listen to aswell, but its just generally because its on MTV or something x]
i like BTBAM (for example) because they 1. are able to fuse many different genres together in a pleasant fashion. 2. While being progressive, they still create music that most (normal) people appreciate without knowing 3. Their technical skill is refreshing amongst mountains of "power chord music" 4. Their use of "almost dissonance" and certain phrases that are odd, yet easy to listen to. Thats all my opinion, there is more, but i am lazy. The music i don't like normally has to do with annoying singers/repetitiveness. I like all genres, if they do it right.

ALL IMO
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
Quote by frigginjerk
well, here's the deal:

people, as a large group, enjoy music that has at least one, usually more, of the following features:

1. must be danceable / grooveable / moshable - something to move to.

2. must have a memorable melody or hook - something for the listener to remember. an hour-long set of blast beats and neoclassical shred will sound cool, but not be memorable to most listeners

3. the song must convey energy and/or an emotion - connect with your audience at a deeper level

i can't speak for all those bands you listed, but i guarantee that they all have found a way to please audiences.

that's the double-edged sword of the entertainment business. You want to be loved, but you don't want to pander or sell out... it's a fine line, best navigated with talent, patience and relentless practice.

Well said.
You can't please everyone
Just go for what YOU want to play
Regardless of what people tell you
If you love the style of the bands that are hated here, go for it man
Don't let other's opinions scuplt your life
I know plenty of people who don't like BTBAM, TDEP, or TFOT
Its all a matter of what YOU like and what YOU want to play
not what you think others would want you to play
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Quote by tomohawkjoe

Its all a matter of what YOU like and what YOU want to play
not what you think others would want you to play

Indeed. That's what I think, but I just wanted to know why people dislike certain bands, and like other bands. It was some mystic concept to me before, but it makes sense now.
Quote by Cedence
This thread is probably going to crash and burn

It really boils down to two things for me; does the sound appeal to me, and do the ideals of the band appeal to me

Agreed.

#1 is if it sounds good.

I don't even really care if the ideals appeal to me, as long as they don't offend me.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
As said before, there is always something about a band that attracts your, or pushes you away. Hardcore also draws from a lot of different genres. A lot of people ended up getting into hardcore from something else. If you're into metal, emo, punk, or progressive, it can be guaranteed that there is a hardcore band that embodies that genre in some way.

If you make any kind of music, someone somewhere will listen to it. I could toss pots and pans against a wall over a track of splashing water while someone plays Chopin on a Moog and I know its gonna appeal to someone.
last.fm[/url}
Quote by Cedence
This thread is probably going to crash and burn

It really boils down to two things for me; does the sound appeal to me, and do the ideals of the band appeal to me

Agreed.

Music Is in The Eye of the Beholder really.
I don't listen to any bands that anyone else has heard of, and if they do, I'll stop listening to them.

ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Chances are he is
Otherwise he wouldn't listen to Pth and such
unless hes ultra kvlt
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
i just dont like bands that sound like other bands, generic if you call it that.
i mean when i listen to an album, i got to figure out when a song ends and when a song starts, alot of hardcore bands nowadays just have songs that all sound almost alike. chord progression, etc.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
I'm trying to compose music that isn't "bad" to me, but isn't "bad" to everyone else. That way, it's win all around, and I enjoy my emotions in music.

There will always be a large amount of people who think what you write is "bad"

The most you can ever do is write for yourself
My personal look on it is that a song has to be skillfully written, has to have had a lot of time spent on writting it, and that needs to show - a lot of local bands are so proud of the fact that they wrote 3 songs last band practice, while it took me 2 months, and i'm still writting the same song.

A song has to have a meaning, it has to have a powerfull impact, and it can sometimes be predictable - depends on the mood of the song.

It can't be repetative to the point where you want to kill yourself.

If there's a solo, I prefer that it has a slow start, and that the structure of the solo has just as much effort put into it as the rest of the song, and that a solo that won't be an improvisation live, can't be written for the first time purely as an improvisation. It can have shredding in it, but 'senseless' shredding is a deffinate no.

The name of the song has to relate to some way in the chorus.

I love suspense in a song, and also when a song builds up subtly, then drops back to the quite, gentle intro.

The vocals and melody for the vocals again need just as much effort put into it as the rest of the song.

Saying 'oh, the bass will just do the same as the guitar' is never a good idea.

Long songs are my favourite; one of my ambitions is to write a 30 minute song that isn't repetative at some point in my life .

For the band's look and all that, as that seems to be a big part of people's hate for a band, I honestly couldn't care less... but then again, I cannot stand Rush's look; It's like the intentionally look like total gumps imo. But I don't care if MCR dress like band geeks; their music is skillfully written, I hate them, but it's skillful. The only reason I have to hate them is the fact that the everything [Kerrang, Scuzz, Q, MTV, the Radio, the person sitting next to me in every lesson, the person next to me, behind me, and infront of me on the bus/train, goddamn everything] totally over-exposed them, and forced their great music onto me until I was sick to ****ing death of it.

Sooo, there's a list [all points are totally imo, so i'm not up for argueing with anyone ;P] of the things that I think do and don't make different types of music great. May have said some points more than once, but theres way too much there for me to be bothered to go back over it ;P. I bet I you can find one point that i've made which clashes with another, too! =]. And sorry about all the grammar mistakes; when i'm writting a lot, I write fast, and don't think too much about grammar..
Last edited by 1339 at Feb 19, 2008,
I'd say the top reason (for me) for not liking some bands is because they sound like most of the other bands out there. This doesn't usually apply to hardcore, I guess, if you listen a lot, and attentively, because the vocals are really different, everyone has a different screaming style, stuff like that. I dunno. That's just my opinion.
Ehh.. True, but not.. But if you listen to some of the TERRIBLE bands out there today (Boys Like Girls, Secondhand Serenade, etc.) you'll notice that they sound almost identical. The unrepetitive vocal lines, usually with alot of range, the same awful harmonies, and tone altogether, really. You could have a playlist of those bands (and some others out there as well) and if they changed, I'd have no idea. But for the most part, yes, you're right, MOST people have a different singing style then others.

And I apologize if you like any of those bands.
the reasons why i don't like certain bands are:

1.) sound too similar to other bands. (copy cats)
2.) people love them because they are 'hawt'.
3.) the vocals are bad.
4.) or they are waaaaay too mainstream.
Generally the only reasons I don't like certain bands are either cause I can't relate to their lyrics somehow or because I don't like the vocals.

....oh and am I the only person who doesn't really understand why people stop listening to a band just because they become "too mainstream?" I mean if you liked them before why just stop listening to them?
music is bound to be disliked by alot of people and liked by alot of people too.
because people are all different.
some people like it progressive and technical, some people like it simple and catchy, some people like it brutal and aggressive.
I dont like some of these "scene" bands that have been coming out since last year. Bands like heavyheavylowlow, See You Next Tuesday, FBTMOF, The Number Twelve (I do like one song of theirs though, Dont Get Blood On My Prada Shoes). I feel like their music doesnt really have any structure or effort put into them. Two bands I didnt really like till about last month were The Chariot and Norma Jean (the only song I liked of theirs before was Memphis..). I don't think they're amazing or anything, I just don't hate them anymore.