At band practice the other day, I found myself playing our singer's Fender MIM Stratocaster a lot, and I'm considering buying a used one. But, if I get the SSS configuration, will it be able to handle hard rock, and maybe even some metal? I liked the distorted tone on his Strat, and it's SSS, but I didn't really try any crazy metal on it.

Also, how do they usually stay in tune with a lot of whammy bar usage?

If it's important, I play a lot of RHCP, RATM, Muse, Rolling Stones, AC DC, Aerosmith... just a lot of different stuff. I'll have my SGs for things that need that heavier sound.

EDIT: Also, would a Highway One Strat be a big step up from a MIM?
get a duncan hot rails for the bridge,
and a stock mim trem isnt gonna stay in tune very well
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Good guitar, but you might want to swap the bridge pickup to play more distorted stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
MIM strats are great, and (in my opinion) the pickups can easily handle a lot of distortion, but they go out of tune very quickly when you use the whammy bar.

I don't know anything about the highway one...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Alright, I'd be mainly doing slight vibrato with the trem, and the occasional dive bombs. My friends seemed to be holding in in tune pretty well from what I was doing.

How much would a hot rails cost for the bridge?
Use Fender Bullets, and it will slow the detuning by a lot. As for metal an SD hot rail at the bridge will handle most things. Iron Maiden use hot rails to replace all their pick ups.
Alright, so I think I'll buy a MIM Strat once I get the money, and then after that I'll buy a SD Hot Rails if I'm not satisfied with the bridge pickup. Thanks for the help!

One more quick question, if I put a hot rails in a MIM strat, and decide I want to upgrade to an American strat later one, will I be able to remove the hot rails from the MIM and put it in another guitar?
Um, dude you are from Canada eh? Can you let me know how much it costs you to get the MIM strat?

Are you near scarborough?
IMO Highways, are a waste of money, there made in America by mexicans (no offense to them) but its the same parts of mexican ones, Basicly you pay more to get your guitar made a few hundred miles away somewhere else. There is the nitro finish which makes it "age" quicker.

If im wrong someone can correct me..
/CENTER]
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Um, dude you are from Canada eh? Can you let me know how much it costs you to get the MIM strat?

I just bought a MIM Strat (HSS) in Ottawa during Christmas and it was around $500 after taxes and stuff (I think it was like $450 on the floor or something.) They should be around that, anything higher and look somewhere else.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
Quote by shpangler
I just bought a MIM Strat (HSS) in Ottawa during Christmas and it was around $500 after taxes and stuff (I think it was like $450 on the floor or something.) They should be around that, anything higher and look somewhere else.

5 bills? wow, that's a bit extreme, looks like I'm going to have to go used
Quote by pl0x
IMO Highways, are a waste of money, there made in America by mexicans (no offense to them) but its the same parts of mexican ones, Basicly you pay more to get your guitar made a few hundred miles away somewhere else. There is the nitro finish which makes it "age" quicker.

If im wrong someone can correct me..

I really like the nitro finish on the highways, and apparently the pickups are "hotter".

My mom's going down to Florida in a week, and she said she'll look at a guitar center and try to find a MIM Strat for me, and she'll pay for half. Hurrah!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I ordered a Fender American Standard Strat; it seems better than both the MIM and HWY1.

I don't have the kind of money to buy an American Strat, though.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
^ I'd say a Fender MIM Deluxe Player's Strat? They're probably as good as HWY1.

I'm just gonna go with the standard MIM, I've played them and most of the ones I played I really liked. Some of them were terrible, though.

The deluxe is really flashy, and I don't really want that.
If you do some research and experimentation you will learn the tricks of the trade to keep it in tune better. Upgrading to Graphtech Ferraglide saddles is one very easy way to increase your tuning stability.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I have the Hwy 1 HSS and love it. I plan on putting even hotter pickups into it.

As for the trem, all you need to do is put in locking tuners.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
MIJ/CIJ i believe is a huge step up from those MIMs...look into some on ebay or something. great build quality.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Look at my signature, I love that beast. It's perfect for shred metal stuff and can still get that glassy blues tone.

The trem can also be abused beyond belief and only get a few cents off in tuning. I had mine professionally set-up though so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I'm just gonna go with the standard MIM, I've played them and most of the ones I played I really liked. Some of them were terrible, though.

The deluxe is really flashy, and I don't really want that.

What actually made them terrible? I'm just asking, I'll look out for that when I am buying one
There are special tricks you can do to keep the strat in tune. Mine manages to stay in tune even with tremolo use.

Use graphite dust (from pencils) in the nut grooves.

The way you wrap the strings around the tuning pegs is also important (I do so in a way that "locks" the string in place).

Works for me.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have a MIM HSS strat, and I was thinking about buying an American. Would it be worth the money just to upgrade the MIM strat with better pickups instead of spending 2 gs' on the american? I actually have another american strat and its real nice, but it has a maple neck instead of a rosewood like my MIM so it's hard to compare action. but tone wise buying a seymour duncan be worth it for playing rock?
Quote by captain Trips
I have a MIM HSS strat, and I was thinking about buying an American. Would it be worth the money just to upgrade the MIM strat with better pickups instead of spending 2 gs' on the american? I actually have another american strat and its real nice, but it has a maple neck instead of a rosewood like my MIM so it's hard to compare action. but tone wise buying a seymour duncan be worth it for playing rock?

Probably, or you could just buy another neck for the MIA one you have already.

EDIT: To the TS:

Maybe shove some locking tuners on it aswell, that'll keep it in tune.

My MIM Strat has them in standard (Classic Player 50s, just to be a show off ), and I can do divebombs and Ritchie Blackmore style tremelo bar action and it doesn't go out of tune. It might be the bridge aswell helping, because it's upgraded and hoohah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Aug 28, 2008,
I have a MIM H/S/S strat. The bridge is blocked off, and I installed the "P.A.F. on steroids" Duncan custom in it. It sounds great for anything from blues to metal, and doesn't go out of tune.