Page 1 of 3
Hey guys i was wondering if you could give me some ideas/pictures as to how to mod my hellraiser with the 18v mod. All I have to do is wire in another battery in series? If anyone has done it in a hellraiser, lemme know please?
whats the point of this mod?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Yeah, I don't really see what it would help.

Please explain.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Im not really sure. But everyone that has done it seems to like it alot. They say that the orginal 9v is almost like an compression effect when they go back down to that after playing 18v. It gives more head room.

I got this from someone else:
- More hi-fi sounding EMGs

- More presence

- A LOT more attack

- A little more output

- Sustain is about the same

- Sounds like you take a pillow off the front of your cab literally.

- "Tighter" (if we can say this...) rhythm playing due to a somewhat tighter bass.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Hey guys i was wondering if you could give me some ideas/pictures as to how to mod my hellraiser with the 18v mod...
I haven't done it yet, but from what I've ascertained, the easiest way to do it is using 3 of these connectors...

...wired red to black, red to black, red to black. Plug in two batteries, and the other goes to your existing 9V connection. Completely reversable and 100% effective.

As for the results, you listed all of them, the most notable being the extra headroom. The general consensus is that the guitar seems to "breathe" better with the 18V mod.

If you go through with it make sure to post your impressions
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I would love to hear what a 18v EMG sounds like.. I love the 9v ones I have on my Hellraiser..

I can't believe you can make the attack, presence and tighten up the sound even more.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Word.

Its kinda tough to wrap you're head around the thought of an even "tighter" attack than whats already there.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Right...I am going to attempt this! If it ever comes off properly I will post a thread about the results or add to this one haha.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Quote by SloppyJoseph
So are there a total of 2 or 3 batteries? Including the one that is existing.

9v + 9v = 18v

There's two batteries. Do what Jim said.
Go HERE. Its for a bass guitar but its exactly the same method.
Guitars:
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Just finished it. Cant try it out on my amp as it is not with me atm but it has worked muhahaha. For 49p and 30mins including driving for the extra bits n peices its more than worth it IMO.
Guitars:
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Psyched to hear your results
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Post a before and after clip, or what it sounds like with one battery compared with two. If they're connected in series, it might be a problem though..
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
From all the hoopla I've heard, I think the results might speak for themselves.

In theory though, I don't see why you couldn't wire up a switch to go from 9 to 18V on the fly. Just another option...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Haha AdRev. So it's not that hard? I think im going to pick up another battery and connector today after work.
yea its a 5 minute job dude...im soooo not the master electritian and tbh it looks messy but who cares its inside my guitar....i WILL get some clips at some point.

Just solder the old black cable from the exsiting battery to the red cable of the new battery. Then solder the black cable from the new battery to to where the old black battery cable went...couldnt be easier. The hardest bit was fitting the batteris in the cavity haha.
Guitars:
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
I actually just did this mod today. It takes literally 5-10 minutes and definately wakes the pickups up a bit. Here are some pics of how I got it wired. Also for any of you guys out there that have a tremolo bridge but have it blocked like I do, that area is great for the batteries. I had to use a dremel tool though to shave down the spot closest to the neck so the battery would sit in there far enough for the cover to go on flush.
Attachments:
emg 001.jpg
Last edited by linksys24 at Feb 18, 2008,
I prefer V shaped guitars mainly in part b/c i've played on them for so long. I like everything about the bc rich now that I got good pickups in it except for the thick neck. Anyone have some other experiences with V's with a slimmer neck profile?
Attachments:
Finished Guitar 010.jpg
Yea I heard about the 18v mod, some people swear by it. Why did you block the trem like that? Don't like a floater? :P Theres a product out there called Tremel-no which lets you switch between hardtail, dive only and floating.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Has Anyone done this in a hellraiser? I think it's different because it has that battery spot built into the back. Just a little curious. I guess ill figure it out tomorrow.
At the time I bought the guitar the tremolo was the only bridge option. I looked at the IT line but I like having fret markers. I currently play in a cover band and don't have the convenience (or money haha) of having more than one guitar so I have to switch between a couple different tunings. I've never heard of the temel-no thing you metioned, I'll have to look into that thanks!!
I did this mod not that long ago to my LP with the 81/85 setup.... It DEFINITELY changed the tonal characteristics of my axe... Most Noticeably in the bridge 81. I played my LP before the mod, then immediately after the mod, and It was VERY clear that I had to change my EQ settings after the mod.. It really filled in that low end that I felt like I had to compensate so much for on the amp eq, and kind of "opened up" the gain structure a bit. It became a lot more organic, and yeah I agree that it did provide more headroom with the amp..

Great mod in my opinion, but I could see myself wanting to install a switch that would change between 9v and 18v.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by DSOTM80
...Theres a product out there called Tremel-no...
Using wood blocks like that increases contact between the bridge and the body. AFAIC, if you have no intent of using the bar, that is the best way to block a trem

Quote by SloppyJoseph
...I think it's different because it has that battery spot built into the back...
I feel your pain, my SC607 does as well. I'm thinking we may need to get into the control cavity and tap the wires from there. You'll have a battery in each cavity but I'd say its a small price to pay.

Quote by Reildeal
It really filled in that low end that I felt like I had to compensate so much for on the amp eq, and kind of "opened up" the gain structure a bit. It became a lot more organic, and yeah I agree that it did provide more headroom with the amp...I could see myself wanting to install a switch that would change between 9v and 18v.
Wanting to do this more and more...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Alternatively you could put them in parrallel and get double the usage time before the battery runs out, though its probably pointless unless you use it all day

(4 batterys! )

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
...you could put them in parrallel and get double the usage time...
I don't think I've ever drained a 9V in any of my guitars. I change them twice a year, but I've never killed one.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Would this mod be too much for only 1 pickup? I only have an EMG 85 in the bridge position of my Jackson and would like to try this out but I'm scared 18v would be too much going to just the one pup
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Each EMG pup can take up to 27V (though 18 is the most recommended)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by CM_X5
Would this mod be too much for only 1 pickup? I only have an EMG 85 in the bridge position of my Jackson and would like to try this out but I'm scared 18v would be too much going to just the one pup

This increases the voltage throughout your entire circuit. So it's either you play 9 volts or 18.

Now someone tell me how to do it on a hellraiser!!!!
Quote by SloppyJoseph

Now someone tell me how to do it on a hellraiser!!!!

Dude, why don't you just stick the other battery into the cavity?

Just run the red wire from the existing 9v battery to the black wire of the new battery connector, then connect the red wire of the new battery to where the old red wire connected....

I'm pretty sure the red wire of the existing battery runs into the cavity anyways....

I would think it would be simple enough.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Dude, why don't you just stick the other battery into the cavity?

Just run the red wire from the existing 9v battery to the black wire of the new battery connector, then connect the red wire of the new battery to where the old red wire connected....

I'm pretty sure the red wire of the existing battery runs into the cavity anyways....

I would think it would be simple enough.

It's a little different than that brother. It is wired kinda weird.
How do you access the pots and the pickup wiring on the back of your hellraiser? There is a cavity right?

Do you have a picture of the back?

And there should only be 1 wire that you should be concerned about, either the black one from the battery to the cable input jack, or the red one from the batter to the rest of the wiring.......(depending on where in the series the new battery will go)
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It's a little different than that brother. It is wired kinda weird.

Hey man, I went to the Schecter site and looked at the wiring diagram for your guitar...

Doesn't seem that the wiring is that wierd. You still have 1 black wire going to the output jack, and 1 red wire that's attached to the 2 red wires coming from your pickups.

The only question is whether or not you can fit a battery into the cavity on the back of the guitar...where the pots and wiring are.....

It's just simply a matter of disconnecting the batteries red wire from the 2 red pickup wires, and inserting a new battery connector soldering the new red wire to the two red pickup wires, and the black wire to the red wire from the existing battery....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I figured it out. I am going to do it when I get home.
Last edited by SloppyJoseph at Feb 19, 2008,
This is a hella cool idea. I honestly don't understand how the extra voltage is going to affect it but I'd like to try
Ibanez RG2EX2 (w. EMG 81/85)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60w DSP Tube
Ashdown Fallen Angel 412 Cab
I switched my 85 and put it in the bridge so im wondering if I will like the sound of my 81 in the bridge now.......too many choices.
Page 1 of 3