I have a Fender Blues Junior, but I want to pull some high gain metal out of it. What pedal should I get?
1. Fulltone OCD
or
2. EHX Metal Muff
or
3. Digitech Bad Monkey
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
You won't get a convincing metal tone out of a blues jr im afraid. It's possible to get Marshall type tones of it using a Fulltone OCD, theres a good clip on youtube with a blues jr and ocd. But the amp is too bright for metal, it will sound really bad.
Yeah, the blues jr doesn't have any balls for hard rock or metal, trade it for something like a peavey classic. It does metal ok by itself, then throw the OCD in front of it and listen to the magic.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I saw a Peavey Classic 50 for sale. Should I get that with an OCD?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
why dont you just get a metal muff and one of those boss octo thingies wouldnt that be a betor alternative to buying a whole new ****ing amp?

or not that even just try combinations of pedals together to get a thicker sound
people around here say get this and that as if money just ****ing comes out of there a holes, its quite ridiculous

you got a fine amp just do what i mentiond and try diffrent pedals together
Last edited by the-kid66 at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by the-kid66
why dont you just get a metal muff and one of those boss octo thingies wouldnt that be a betor alternative to buying a whole new ****ing amp?

or not that even just try combinations of pedals together to get a thicker sound
people around here say get this and that as if money just ****ing comes out of there a holes, its quite ridiculous

you got a fine amp just do what i mentiond and try diffrent pedals together

I think this is quite ridiculous. The Blues Jr. just doesn't have the voicing for metal. You could add all the pedals you want but I bet the TS still wouldn't be satisfied with his sound.

If you want a strictly metal amp, check out the Randall RG50TC.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah dude, the C-50 and OCD would be awesome for any type of music, really.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I would mostly play rock but metal would occasional...
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
then i say deffinately buy a new amp
and if your accasonally ganna play metal i would also say get a new guitar

listen man just try the pedals out give them a chance and if youre still not satisfied go buy a new amp

i woulds
say
metal muff plus something else like a OD

or
boss metal zone plus some other OD
Last edited by the-kid66 at Feb 18, 2008,
please be realistic......When will you be playing metal with a BLues Junior? Your next club gig? Puleezz........you wont be heard over a metal bass player or drummer.

So, if you just playing at home.....any of the pedals listed will get you the tone you are looking for....regardless of the amp its being played thru.

If you are looking for versatitly its a good idea to get the cleanest sounding amp you can....then pedal it up. Peavey Classic 50 you mentioed will work great....however, if you are looking to just play metal.....you want to get a metal amp. Understand?

I love my metal....I really do, but I am not in a metal band......but me and my drummer are fiends, adn have secret metal sessions....
anyway, I have a Fender Deluxe. I beleive that this amp produces great soungind cleans....the OD on this thingt is horrible, and I never use the 2nd channel. So I guess that is the con. But it is loud as hell for 1x12, and handles all my effects well....allows me to play metal if I want to, but obv. designed for something else.

Digitech products are a little sub-par.....I have one of their delay pedals....cuz it was cheap. I beelive the Bad monkey is a Ibanez copy, and not a metal pedal at all. Its a tube screamer knock off. I have a Boss Metal Zone that does it for me.....there are better choices, apparently, but I have hadx this forever.....and never thought about buying something new.
Quote by the-kid66
then i say deffinately buy a new amp
and if your accasonally ganna play metal i would also say get a new guitar

listen man just try the pedals out give them a chance and if youre still not satisfied go buy a new amp

i woulds
say
metal muff plus something else like a OD

or
boss metal zone plus some other OD

I see no logic in that statement.
Sell your blues jr and get an amp for metal, like the randall rg50tc
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by acdcrocks0323
He wants to play rock and metal occasionally. For that, I would say Classic 30 and OCD.

I guess it depends on what kind of metal he wants to play. If he wants teh br00talz, the classic 30 cant do it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Agreed, but if the rock is more important then the Classic would fit him well.

Very true
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Okay so I will go with the Classic!
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Good choice, it would probley be less money than buying a buttload of pedals anyways.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by Kakashi98
I would mostly play rock but metal would occasional...

Then get a Metal Muff for those moments when you play metal. That's what I do. I have a Twin Reverb and a Crate Palomino, and can cop useable metal tones, when I need to, on both with the Metal Muff.