Hello there.

I've been learning bass for about 8 months although not particularly religously on a crappy Jazz bass knock off. When I compared it with my bass teacher's actual Fenders etc. the difference in weight and playability was frankly depressing. The E will also not stay in tune relative to the rest of the strings (the intonation along the string is terrible) and so I've decided I want to upgrade to a better bass. I also need a cheap bass practice amp.

So basically, recommend me a new bass and a cheap bass amp! Preferably under £500 for the bass and under £200 for the amp. I really like Fender Jazz basses but I'm open to other things e.g. Ibanez. Also quick question, how much different are 5 strings to play? I was wondering if using the B string as a thumbrest affects how easy it is to hop between strings compared to between E and the pick up.

Should probably say what I play, well on bass I almost exclusively play Muse though I don't have any effects, also looking into learning various Billy Talent and Say Anything bass lines and I really like the tones of those bands *expects flameage*

Cheers anyways.
Quote by guitars93
I haven't actually used any of these, but they seem pretty good.

How do they seem good then? On what basis can you recommend something you have no experience of?
Quote by Jimmyninja
So basically, recommend me a new bass and a cheap bass amp! Preferably under £500 for the bass and under £200 for the amp.

It should actually be switched around.you need to have a better amp than bass, because thats where most of your tone comes from.You can get a decent(used) fender jazz for arond 350 pounds and a good carvin amp for about 400 pounds.

Amp- https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX210

or for a little more https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR610
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by smb
How do they seem good then? On what basis can you recommend something you have no experience of?

From what I hear from friends and other people.
Quote by c3powil
It should actually be switched around.you need to have a better amp than bass, because thats where most of your tone comes from.You can get a decent(used) fender jazz for arond 350 pounds and a good carvin amp for about 400 pounds.

Amp- https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX210

or for a little more https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR610

I have always maintained that a good Bass guitar needs an equally good amp.

Stay far far away from 'Little Noddy Toytown Amps', the manufacturers should be shot at dawn everyday for a week.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I've got an ashdown MAG c410T-300. Pretty much rules, it might be a little big for what you need it for(as it's hard to carry around) and (i'm not sure the conversion rate from pounds to USDs... i forgot it atleast) it's more than your set price, but you can find smaller ones for cheaper. Work great tbh.

For guitars, I'm not so sure you should settle for less with one. If I were you I'd wait to buy a really nice bass that will last a long time. Go with a fender standard p-bass, or jazz if you can afford either. Once again, these are more than your prices, but I'd really consider putting in the extra 200 for them.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Ampwise for £175, Look no further than This:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info%5fELECBLU12150%2ehtml

Its brilliant, I have one and its so versatile (i play in a Jazz band and in a metal group and it holds up in both). Its also an ashdown, like the marshall of basses.

Basswise, whatever takes your fancy. If you're going 4 string, get a Jazz or an Ibanez (probably a half decent one for £450 ish). If you're going 5 string, Top of the range Yamaha or Warwick Rockbasses are about your lyrics. I Don't like the pickups on Ibanez 5's, too dominant in its looks, just my opinion. Using the B as a thumbrest is fine, just practice by resting on your current low e and playing the 3 higher strings.
Actually If you want really good tone and dont much care about how big the amp is get a Markbass amp.Those things sound wonderfull and there are these little ones that cost under 200 pounds.I played one at guitar center, they are amazing.

Edit:Heres the link
http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=77
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Feb 18, 2008,
Cheers for the input guys, that 5 string looks noice (just need to find it in something other than sunburst :P) and so does that Ashdown amp.

I know the old amp-is-where-the-tone-comes-from schtick but for me, having a good instrument that I can play comfortably and that feels good to play is more important to me but I will look into getting a new amp soon as I'm getting bored playing through my computer!
If you are okay with buying used, and you get a MIM jazz for over 400, IMO you've paid too much. On ebay maybe, you could get one for 300 without TOO much difficult, provided things are still somewhat reasonable across the pond.

If you get the bass for 300, that gives you 500 for the amp. Go to some stores and try out as many as you want. Oh yeah, if you plan on gigging, get at least 200 watts. Sure 100 will cut it and all that, but there are few things more depressing than having your amp at full with a low EQ, and your guitarists Epiphone starter amp is keeping up with it.
Quote by guitars93
From what I hear from friends and other people.

Quote by UG Forum Rules
Do you know what you're talking about? In the guitar/gear forums, please don't give your opinion on a product unless you've played/used it. Otherwise, it's not an opinion, but maybe a bias, towards or against the brand. Even if you think you know about the product, reading a couple of reviews does not make you an expert on it.
Methinks someone should go back to the newbies Q&A forum and start again

Threadstarter: a common mistake is buying a smaller amp when you start out so you can get a more expensive bass. Over the first couple of years of playing, what you want from a bass can change completely (and usually does) but what you want from an amp remains much the same (ie you want the sound of your bass but loud)

I'd suggest getting a used MIM Fender (which you won't lose money on when you come to sell it) that you've played beforehand (some feel great and some...don't) along with the largest amp you think you will suit you (if you need to take it to school, for example, don't get a 410 combo!) that you've heard and liked the sound of and isn't a Behringer.