Before I ask the question please answer respectfully, the purpose of this thread is not to encourage a lot of anti Gibson, Epiphone or Fender comments and I am not directly comparing Strats to Les Pauls etc. it is purely a quality question.

Having just bought an MIM Standard Strat which I'm really happy with, it plays nice, feels great, sounds great, seems to be very well made and the hardware seems very good. I am considering a Les Paul in the future posibly an Epiphone Standard or Custom.

I'm interested to know, given the fact that MIM Standard Telecasters and Strats are in the same price range as Epiphone Standard and Custom Les Pauls which you you consider the better quality ie workmanship, quality of hardware used and value for money?

Objective opinions please, I not looking for Gibson or Fender haters.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
I think an Epiphone Les Paul-100. I've had one of these for quite some time now and they've proven to have a really good sound, they are built strong so not much can happen to them and they are perfect for any guitarist, beginner to intermediate.
I would definately pick a gibson over a fender, that being said , not an epiphone. Epiphones are a knock down from gibson.
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
id pick fender over gibson. save up and get a gibson studio if your interested in les paul shaped guitars
Quote by Hammett5
I would definately pick a gibson over a fender, that being said , not an epiphone. Epiphones are a knock down from gibson.

Well, not really :P
Quote by culkid
id pick fender over gibson. save up and get a gibson studio if your interested in les paul shaped guitars

For that price he could get a top of the line fender instead of a bottom of the barrel Gibson.

Niether are bad guitars but I would lean towards the Fender because the MIM are pretty nice guitars.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
well, if you're interested in les pauls, don't necessarily close yourself into the Gibson/Epiphone box. ESP makes several models of guitars that are shaped like a les paul (the EC series), they run roughly the same price as an epiphone les paul standard, but they're much prettier and sound better, and i'll wager that they're put together better than any epiphone too. so consider other brands too, instead of just Fender or Gibson, and you'll probably end up much happier you did so.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Well it also depends what he plays -- It's quite obvious that for example IBANEZ EDGE and Hammet5 play/listen to metal, so it's obviously not very general :P
Quote by Milaneus
And anyways, read his question, he's asking about epiphones and MIM fenders.

Thanks glad someone understood, and please guys I'm not after direct comparison model to model I'm looking for a build quality and hard wear quality comparison between Epiphone and MIM Fender given the similar price between the MIM Fenders and the Standard and Custom LP's and please I'm not after what to buy type answers.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Milaneus
Well it also depends what he plays -- It's quite obvious that for example IBANEZ EDGE and Hammet5 play/listen to metal, so it's obviously not very general :P

Thanks dude I do listen to metal. I also listen to as much blues and rock as I do metal. I bought a Ibanez because of how it plays. I can get any sound out of it I want, not to mention I also own a Telecaster.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
i have a fender MIM tele and an epiphone lp classic. i prefer my MIM tele, but then it is the newer of the two so that could be partially down to novelty. epi lp's aren't bad guitars, or, my one isn't anyway, there are probably some bad apples. the problem is that they're funking flimsy. i've had to do more repairs on mine in a year and a half than i'd like to remember. a high end epiphone will do you well but lowend ones are probably more hassle than they're worth.

that's from a neutral standpoint as i have both makes.
Last edited by kthxbi at Feb 18, 2008,