What is a line level input? I looked in the guide for my audio interface, but i didnt really understand. It said

"Note: Active instruments are those that have an internal preamp or a line level output. Active instruments should be plugged into a line input rather than into an instrument input. Plugging a line level source into an instrument inputs on the front of the FP10 not only risks damage to these inputs but also results in a very loud and often distorted audio signal"

I didn't exactly understand all of this, so i came and asked here, so i dont mess up my interface. I have the PreSonus FP10. So there are the first two jacks which are mic+instrument and the other 6 jacks which are Mic+Line in case that info helps.
A line level input means no preamp is needed. For most things, such as microphones, the signal is not strong enough to be recorded or go through a system, and must be amplified before hitting it's destination. Line Level means it does not need to be amplified by a preamp. Pretty straight forward.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Thanks, so does that mean if a plug my guitar into my amp and my amp into the interface, its safe to plug it into the first two inputs? Or any input for that matter?
Recommended threads
Blue #6
Chigen
Last post:
by Chigen
Frigid
Fate_of_Mind
Last post:
by Fate_of_Mind
Catch-Up TV
SuperSquirrel
Last post: