i was thinkin about bumping up the string gauge on my strat from the standard 9 gauge to the thicker 11 gauge. would it be a good idea to start tuning down a half step? or should i be fine using standard tuning w/ 11 gauges?
- fender american stratocaster (w/ fender '69 custom shop pickups)
- vox ac15
- dunlop crybaby 535q
- ibanez TS808 tubescreamer
well why do you want thicker strings in the first place? if your tuning to standard, 9's and 10's are the way to go.

if you want to tune down because its more metal, yeah get thicker strings but otherwise dont. im guessing your not trying to play metal since you have a strat. go to 10's if you must get thicker strings.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
well why do you want thicker strings in the first place? if your tuning to standard, 9's and 10's are the way to go.

Because he wants a thicker sound ala SRV?

TS, you will probably need 4 springs in the back instead of the 3 that are most likely in there now. You will also want to adjust the truss rod like said already.
Quote by giternator

if you want to tune down because its more metal, yeah get thicker strings but otherwise dont. im guessing your not trying to play metal since you have a strat. go to 10's if you must get thicker strings.

Maybe he prefers more tension? Or doesn't like how easy lighter strings are to bend?
If you want to tune to E Standard (the STANDARD standard, if you will) or Drop D, then I'd still stick with 9s. If you want to tune to, say, D Standard or Drop C, I'd go with the 10s or 11s.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
9's just feel weak and sometimes are hard to play for some people because of that... And they sound weak and don't get as much tone. If you want a heavy tone a lot of times 9's just don't cut it for me. 11's are fine in standard but i'd go for the hybrids... Which are 10-50's. Which are 10's on the light strings and 11's on the heavy strings. Or maybe just go with 10's.
I like 11s for E standard. I used to use 10s, switched to 11s and went back to 10s but now my guitar is in the shop getting a complete set up since its neck was starting to bow (and new pickups ) and I'm having it set up for 11s again because I liked the thicker sound, slightly clearer sound with heavy distortion and my fingers are pretty strong so anything below 10 is far too loose and easy to bend for me but in that regard I'm ok with 10s.
It's all preference. I would suggest trying 10s first, the jump from 9s to 11s is pretty extreme.
Quote by Roc8995
It's all preference. I would suggest trying 10s first, the jump from 9s to 11s is pretty noticable.

Fixed, but it's all opinion. .11's in standard is fine on LP scaled guitars, and meaty-esque on Strat scaled guitars.
i did the jump from 9 to 11. its seemed insane at first, bit within a week it was ok. Granted i play ALOT
yeah... you may not need a truss rod adjustment and you may.... I've went from 9's to 11's and the neck was still straight and i had to set the action down a little bit and thats about it. of course intonation but I wouldn't mess with intonation until you know what gauge you are going to stick with.