its just not melting my solder which is making it really difficult for me to replace my volume pot any idea on how to get it hotter / check its working proply?

thanks
id say buy a more powerful solder gun
how many watts and what kind is it?
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
how often do you clean it
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i think pots take a lot of heat out of soldering irons(not positive if that's true), so you might want to get a hotter iron
Ive never had a problem with heating them up.

A lot of people solder wrong though. When I first started I did it completely wrong so its not like im pointing fingers.

But some people actually put solder on the soldering iron and then hold the iron next to the wires they are trying to solder which your not suppose to do.

Solder should actually never even touch the iron unless you are tinning or cleaning it.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
Ive never had a problem with heating them up.

A lot of people solder wrong though. When I first started I did it completely wrong so its not like im pointing fingers.

But some people actually put solder on the soldering iron and then hold the iron next to the wires they are trying to solder which your not suppose to do.

Solder should actually never even touch the iron unless you are tinning or cleaning it.

+1, just remember to keep your tip nice and tinned for good conduction.