Okay, so this is what I have:

An old strat, with a bad neck, pretty bad electronics (If I lower the volume knob, theres crackling, and the Input Jack is loose). The bridge is in okay condition, playable, could be better.

My Plans:

1) I want to replace the neck with a regular strat neck.

2) I MIGHT want to take out the Middle Pickup, because it always gets in the way when I play.

3) I want to do this, if it's possible: Since there are Three Pots, (1 Vol, 2 Tone), is it possible for me to change it so the top knob (Closest to the pickups) can be removed, and I change the 1st Tone knob into a Volume knob? That would be so much easier for me to play.

4) Oh, and fix up the electronics.

---

Questions:

-So, are the Necks that are less than $100, on Ebay good?
-Is #3 on the plan list possible, and should I take it to a luthier or somebody good with guitar electronics for help?
-And is replacing the neck easy? It seems easy to do. Do I need to adjust the Truss Rodd in any way, once it's on?

And any tips too are welcome. Thanks!
For necks I like this one off Rondo Music. Right now looks like they only have left handed necks, but I've ordered right before.

Number 3 is possible, although you'd have a hole in your guitar where the 1st pot was.

To replace the neck just unbolt it from the body. That's the beauty of Strats. Once you get it strung and everything you'll have to do a setup on it (adjust the truss rod, action, intonation, etc).
Last edited by SpiggidyBob at Feb 18, 2008,
The only problem i would have with the Rondo neck is that it might not fit. If u can find a cheap licensed neck, thats built to fender specs, get that instead. And, if u go on WDMusic.com, you can get a custom-made pickguard with only two pickup holes and two pot holes. If u can solder, then you should have no problem overhauling the electronics.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Okay, so this is what I have:

An old strat, with a bad neck, pretty bad electronics (If I lower the volume knob, theres crackling, and the Input Jack is loose). The bridge is in okay condition, playable, could be better.

My Plans:

1) I want to replace the neck with a regular strat neck.

2) I MIGHT want to take out the Middle Pickup, because it always gets in the way when I play.

3) I want to do this, if it's possible: Since there are Three Pots, (1 Vol, 2 Tone), is it possible for me to change it so the top knob (Closest to the pickups) can be removed, and I change the 1st Tone knob into a Volume knob? That would be so much easier for me to play.

4) Oh, and fix up the electronics.

---

Questions:

-So, are the Necks that are less than $100, on Ebay good?
-Is #3 on the plan list possible, and should I take it to a luthier or somebody good with guitar electronics for help?
-And is replacing the neck easy? It seems easy to do. Do I need to adjust the Truss Rodd in any way, once it's on?

And any tips too are welcome. Thanks!

If you take the middle pickup out and change the electronics you could wire it like they wire telecasters. If you take a pot and pickup out you could just get a new pickguard (if it has one, if not just make one for it).
I found a shop on ebay that has good feedback and is pretty cheap. They sell a lot of necks, bodies, hardwear and stuff.

I might get a new pickguard, I kind of liked the idea of EVH's strat, where the only part of the pickguard was the part that covered the electronics from falling. Thus, he had his pickup(s) screwed directly into the guitar. But, I'm not sure.

This is going to happen a little bit later, when I get the money.