I was just wondering what the average price is for a shop to set your action, intonation, relief etc. I've had a quote of £55 + cost of strings and that seems a lot. Also if that is a lot can anyone suggest anywhere else in South Wales (Cardiff preferably) that will do it for a decent price
That's about what I got quoted at too, if not a few quid cheaper. It'll cost around that wherever you go.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Well if that's how much it costs then not much I can do about it, my bass does need a decent setup and last time I tried I made it worse. Just seemed a bit much and wanted to make sure I wasn't about to get ripped off.
I think setups are super, super important - but I'm a guy who gets it set up once, makes measurements, and sets it up myself from then on out.

That said, 55 quid + strings is absolutely in-****ing-sane to my ears. When I got a new Warwick neck, a $50 setup included neck and nut installation as well.

I can understand rape at the border with importing instruments, but manual labour costing twice the price? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think setups are super, super important - but I'm a guy who gets it set up once, makes measurements, and sets it up myself from then on out.

That said, 55 quid + strings is absolutely in-****ing-sane to my ears. When I got a new Warwick neck, a $50 setup included neck and nut installation as well.

I can understand rape at the border with importing instruments, but manual labour costing twice the price? Doesn't make any sense to me.

That's the truth, I can't see why you'd pay more than 25-30 + strings for a set up, a full set up here usually runs around $50 u.s. +strings. Ask around at a few other shops.
Quote by thefitz

Well I think it has a lot to do with that EVERYTHING apparently is more expensive in the U.S. So when someone has 500 quid to spend, I generally take that to mean that if they are buying in the UK, it is equivalent to 500 USD.
Quote by thefitz

We're obviously just more valuable than you guys
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by super.rad
I was just wondering what the average price is for a shop to set your action, intonation, relief etc. I've had a quote of £55 + cost of strings and that seems a lot. Also if that is a lot can anyone suggest anywhere else in South Wales (Cardiff preferably) that will do it for a decent price

theres a place in cardiff bay that does setups although i have no diea of the price, and i assume gamlins and cranes will do set ups aswell
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
If the place in the bay your on about is Cardiff Guitars then thats the shop that gave me the quote, going into town tomorrow so going to ask in Gamlins, Cranes & GM Music
Yeah Gamlins do a full setup for £30 + price of strings so I'm gonna take it there, thought £55 sounded a bit much
~100 USD sounds really steep to me. Here the rate is around 35 USD + cost of strings.
Quote by super.rad

If you lived nearer to me I'd do it for free, I do it on a regular basis.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by anarkee
~100 USD sounds really steep to me. Here the rate is around 35 USD + cost of strings.

about the same here. most shops offer set-ups as a way to increase sales. the same reason they offer lessons. if you come in and ask, "how much for a set-up?", they will give you the standard retail price. now, if you come in and make yourself friendly, buy a set of strings or two, and a few other odds and ends like straps, books/DVDs, picks, and whatever. then ask, how much would you charge to install these strings?
you will get a much better responce. the set-up guy and the teacher are there to support sales. good customers get better prices.
Quote by Jiimy
Around here it's 50 American dollars and that INCLUDES strings.

That's about how much it was for both of my basses. I believe the shop I took it to set it up for about $30, and I just bought strings from guitar center since they were cheaper there. Anything more than that is kind of ridiculous.