Hey people me again.

Just wondering if anyone had any thought on the following.

http://www.fender.co.uk/products/search.php?partno=0131800300

http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba115hpt/index.html

I've been looking round at basses and amps for at least a year now. and that's what I've come up with. I've been learning bass lines on my old knock off strat and built up some good callouses on my index and middle finger in the process all I need is the rig.

I've been playing guitar on and off for the last few years, but I've got stuck in a rut playing power chords and as I'm into more than metal and rock I'm a little limited in what I can play. (This isn't me taking the ease option out of learning guitar chords, if you want any more details feel free to check out my other posts on the bass forum.)

As always your thoughts on either would be greatly appreciated.
well, what type of tone are you looking for?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

For some reason, I inferred from the "CL" that you wanted to know the difference between an Ampeg SVT CL and a Fender Bassman 300 PRO and I was everso happy.

Anyway, I think you have a solid rig there. I am really high on the Fender Classic Series - even though some are CIJ and some are MIM. I own an MIJ '51 Precision reissue (pre CIJ) and love it to death, and I fell in love with a 50's Precision, even though it was MIM. I think they're great and my only qualm is that current models feel eerily light... especially considering the Precision is the heaviest bass I own.

The amp is solid, but is 30-80W underpowered IMO. You should aim for 4x the power of your guitarist, especially with heavier music. If your guitar player is playing through ~55W of amp, you're gold. I also prefer 210s in a combo, but many people disagree.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Firstly, bass calluses are different to guitar ones. It may still be a little painful at the start to play.

Just a quick point, if you feel that rock and metal guitar is limiting, the bass is far harder to be adventurous with. Not impossible, but if that was your motivation, rethink.

As for the gear, the bass is a very versitile choice, and many will recomend it. However, the amp isn't so good.

Firstly, there is much better in the price range.

Secondly, you are spending far more on a bass than an amp, if I remember correctly. A poor bass will sound good through a great amp. A great bass through a poor amp will sound poor. It's as simple as that. Reconsider your budgeting.

Also as a point, Ampeg are not the holy grail of bass amps. While popular, they really colour your tone, while many prefer their amps to be transparent, as to give maximum flexibility in tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I can't really say I'm after a specific tone as such just that I'm after a good rig that can take anything you want to throw at it.

I'm into all sorts of music and I know that J basses are very versatile. and with the amp I was just assuming that because nearly every bassist that I can think of other than 3 use ampeg. That getting a decent ampeg combo would be a good start. then to build my own sound with fx.
Quote by DR_SH
I can't really say I'm after a specific tone as such just that I'm after a good rig that can take anything you want to throw at it.

I'm into all sorts of music and I know that J basses are very versatile. and with the amp I was just assuming that because nearly every bassist that I can think of other than 3 use ampeg. That getting a decent ampeg combo would be a good start. then to build my own sound with fx.

If the tones you want come from an ampeg, you're not going to get it out of a combo, even an ampeg combo. I'd just get an ashdown, to be perfectly honest. They're some of the best combos I've ever played, for cheaper than you can get an ampeg of the same quality.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by DR_SH
and with the amp I was just assuming that because nearly every bassist that I can think of other than 3 use ampeg. That getting a decent ampeg combo would be a good start. then to build my own sound with fx.

You need to listen to a lot more then. Ampeg is not a holy grail. A small collection of high profile bassists use them, but that is all.

At any rate, Ampeg combos aren't that great. They just feed off the reputation of the high end Ampegs.

Definately shop around for amps, and try as many as possible out. They are the vast majority of your tone. Make sure it's what you want.

And effects are not a major part of most bassist's tone. Most bassists get their tone though the bass, amp, EQing and playing technique.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Your41Plague12
If the tones you want come from an ampeg, you're not going to get it out of a combo, even an ampeg combo. I'd just get an ashdown, to be perfectly honest. They're some of the best combos I've ever played, for cheaper than you can get an ampeg of the same quality.

That the ampeg combo with the tube powered pre amp isn't it? I know that its not as powerful as a SVT head ,but surly that would get me some of the way there. I'm not slating Ashdown. I looked into the Ashdown ABM-C115 500 EVO-II but if I'm going to go out and spend £500 on something I want to be 100% behind it.
Quote by gm jack
You need to listen to a lot more then. Ampeg is not a holy grail. A small collection of high profile bassists use them, but that is all.

At any rate, Ampeg combos aren't that great. They just feed off the reputation of the high end Ampegs.

Definately shop around for amps, and try as many as possible out. They are the vast majority of your tone. Make sure it's what you want.

And effects are not a major part of most bassist's tone. Most bassists get their tone though the bass, amp, EQing and playing technique.

90% of pros use Ampeg. John Entwistle, Flea, Duff Makagan, are a few of those who don't. Hell, I think those are all the people I can name who DON'T use Ampeg. But I'm sure there are more out there. Oh yeah, and fitzy

I wont say whether Ampeg is better or worse than anything else, but most people do use one.

Oh yeah, I have to comment on Carvin. Check them out. A BR615 is similarly priced and is almost twice the wattage of the Ampeg, and about 100 watts bigger than an Ashdown out of the box. I played a Redline cabinet this weekend, and was impressed.
Quote by DR_SH
That the ampeg combo with the tube powered pre amp isn't it? I know that its not as powerful as a SVT head ,but surly that would get me some of the way there. I'm not slating Ashdown. I looked into the Ashdown ABM-C115 500 EVO-II but if I'm going to go out and spend £500 on something I want to be 100% behind it.

That's how ampeg fools you. It's a "tube-powered" preamp, not a tube preamp or all-tube amp. It has one measely tube in it, and they increased the price for it. It will sound virtually identical (almost) to the one without a tube.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
That's how ampeg fools you. It's a "tube-powered" preamp, not a tube preamp or all-tube amp. It has one measely tube in it, and they increased the price for it. It will sound virtually identical (almost) to the one without a tube.

True story. The tube does nothing in my experience.

But I mean its not like Ampeg is the only one to do this. Hell, Ashdown's EB 180 is 100 or so watts out of the box. You need another speaker to get the full 180.
Quote by IndianRockStar

90% of pros use Ampeg. John Entwistle, Flea, Duff Makagan, are a few of those who don't. Hell, I think those are all the people I can name who DON'T use Ampeg. But I'm sure there are more out there. Oh yeah, and fitzy

I wont say whether Ampeg is better or worse than anything else, but most people do use one.

If Ampeg's list of famous users is comprehensive of major artists, they hardly have a vast majority. They are simply very popular.

http://www.ampeg.com/artists/index.html

A lot of big names. Not nearly all however.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
If Ampeg's list of famous users is comprehensive of major artists, they hardly have a vast majority. They are simply very popular.

http://www.ampeg.com/artists/index.html

A lot of big names. Not nearly all however.

Yeah, but you have to remember that not everyone that uses a brand is going to be on that list. That list is VERY small. Hell, on Ashdown's site, they have about 10 or 15 people listed. That is quite small. More than 10 or 15 famous people use Ashdown.

Everything aside, I'll say that Ampeg still the most popular.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Yeah, but you have to remember that not everyone that uses a brand is going to be on that list. That list is VERY small. Hell, on Ashdown's site, they have about 10 or 15 people listed. That is quite small. More than 10 or 15 famous people use Ashdown.

Did I deny they were the most popular? I simply said they aren't a holy grail everyone strives for. They are simply popular.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Did I deny they were the most popular? I simply said they aren't a holy grail everyone strives for. They are simply popular.

Neither did I. I put them as the same as Marshall in the bass world. You may say they are not they best, but they obviously must be doing something right if they are #1.
I am one of those bass players that is a Ampeg fangirl. I love the round sound and own a B3158 (150W) combo that I love. However, after jamming with my drummer for about 9 months with this combo, even he admits I probably need a bit more power to compete with him. Just Sunday, he stopped halfway through an impromptu jam on "Whipping post" and looked at me and said, "I can't hear you worth a ****". And the amp is about 6 feet from his drum set and I was cranked fairly high.

If you are going to be seriously gigging, experience has taught me that most (if not all ) of the Ampeg combos are a bit underpowered, even the BA115HP. If you are dead set on a combo, then there are far better options in that price range that will give more bang for you buck.

As for myself, once the current bills are down to a dull roar, I'll be looking for a decent head and cabinet late this summer.
not to be derogatory since i like the SVT tone but you'd be much better off with a G-K they are alot cheaper and sound great
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by DR_SH

I guess it would be a good choice for that. Ampegs are the Mario of amps to me- Good for everything, great for nothing. You can throw what you want at it, but it won't be amazing in any one genre; if you can cut it down to even a few genres, you could probably find a much better amp or combo amp for what you want. Something tells me you won't be doing a dozen or more different genres. :P
^I would tend to disagree. Ampeg is almost the opposite of that. I find I can get a good solid ROCK sound with an Ampeg... it would be nice to get another tone from them though. They seem very one dimensional, but in that one dimension, they own the market.

As for GK, personally, their low-end combos are abhorring.
Quote by IndianRockStar

flea and duff play GK
I play bass!
Would it help more if I said that I was really after an amp that good for hard rock and gunge like Alice in chains, Braking Benjamin Godsmack Foo fighters etc but can also handle alternative rock and stuff with a funk vibe like Red hot chili peppers RATM/Audioslave Muse and Placebo a little bit of blues.

I've only really got enough space for a 115, but I'm after a powerful amp if it's possible without going into stack territory. My budget is about the £500/600, but I could possibly up that.
Quote by backupbass1
flea and duff play GK

Are a few who don't. Read his post properly.

And half stacks and high power combos don't have too much difference between them in size. Consider a head and a single cab.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by IndianRockStar

Last time I looked on the Ashdown website there was a huge artists list, consisting of both well-known and not-so-well-known bassists.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^I would tend to disagree. Ampeg is almost the opposite of that. I find I can get a good solid ROCK sound with an Ampeg... it would be nice to get another tone from them though. They seem very one dimensional, but in that one dimension, they own the market.

James Jamerson, Donald "Duck" Dunn and Victor Wooten all use/have used Ampeg amps and I wouldn't class any of them as rock players. I'm not an Ampeg fan and I know you're probably exaggerating (good old canadian "wit" ) but I think it's a little unfair to call them "one dimensional", they do seem top choice in the rock amp market (not for long, Ashdown FTW!) because their signature growl fits so well but it's not the only sound they can do, they're good for other stuff too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Feb 19, 2008,
But they all have that kind of signature sound that is so AMPEG. It's AMPEG, HEY I'M A FRIGGIN' AMPEG. AMPEG.
Ampeg is a funny ass word... what the hell, it's not even a word. Say it like 10 times and it's completely meaningless.

ANYWAY, I just find that ampegs are ampegs and there's absolutely no two ways about it. I can't see why anyone would desire that, but lots of people do.
Ampegs are ampegs. Just like Rics are rics. There's no sitting on the fence, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

And on the origin of the name:

"Ampeg is an instrument amplifier manufacturer with seat in Woodinville, Washington. Although the company specializes in the production of electric bass guitar amplification, Ampeg also manufactures electric guitar and orchestral upright bass amplifiers. Ampeg first existed under the name "Michaels-Hull Electronic Labs", as it comprised a partnership between Everett Hull, an accomplished pianist and bassist, and Stanley Michaels. The original goal of the company was to produce both a new microphone pickup that Hull designed, and to produce instrument amplifiers with a minimum of output distortion. In general, tube amps will break up into a distorted sound when punched hard, a sound that Hull (being from the Jazz scene) really disliked. The pickup was intended to fit onto the end of an upright bass, and was dubbed the "Amplified Peg" or "Ampeg" for short. After gaining sole proprietorship of the company, Hull changed the company’s name to "Ampeg Bassamp Company".

Thank you wiki once again.