Hey just a quick question, ive spent the last 3 weeks focusing on economy picking exercises and naturally now when i pick i use economy picking but should i be doing alternate picking exercises aswell, basically should i focus on one or both?
Yeh I'd go with both as well. Economy is just alternate until you change string right?
Ibanez S520
Yamaha Pacifica 112 with JB.Jr Neck pickup
Ibanez Custom Blazer
Peavey Bandit 112, Marshall Valvestate 20
Marshall Jackhammer, Zoom 505 effects, Boss ME-50
Boss Pw 10 V Wah
Dunlop 1.5mm Picks, D'addario standard Strings
Quote by Diateo
Yeh I'd go with both as well. Economy is just alternate until you change string right?

mm, kind of. Its like alternate picking on 'roids, but has a different sound.
thanks guys, quick replies! can u recommend any exercises for alt. picking there's too many to chose from.
I'm more of an Alt picker. I find that I have more control over dynamics, and it feels more rhythmic and for me is more enjoyable to play, and plenty fast for any purpose I could have. I economy pick a lot as well, but usually only when playing arpeggios.
Quote by ouchies
mm, kind of. Its like alternate picking on 'roids, but has a different sound.

how is that ?
I find economy picking to be more fluid but alternate picking to be more defined.
Quote by Avedas
I find economy picking to be more fluid but alternate picking to be more defined.

Precisely.
yea, I mostly economy pick, I always have, it just seemed the most natural way to do it when I was learning, I just didn't know it was called that. Now I use a combination of the two depending on what I want.
I pretty much only alt pick now, but to be honest, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out if I alt pick or eco pick during runs... I'm not slurring or anything, just I don't have a camera and for some reason I can't really tell.
Quote by Infatuation
economy is a form of alternate.

*facepalm*

I thought we were past that, and had it under control!
Quote by Infatuation

sure, if you only play on one string.
Quote by Infatuation

Alternate - Playing up, down, up, down constantly, never doing the same stroke twice in a row, even when changing and skipping strings.

Economy - Using whatever stroke takes the least motion at that point in a lick. On a single string, economy would be alternate. But when you cross strings when there are an odd number of notes per string, it is no longer alternate, because you do either two downs or two ups in a row.
I prefer alternate picking over economy. I started out using economy for a while, but when I got to 3 nps runs, I found it much easier to use purely alternate.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Runs like that are one of the only spots I consciously bothered learning to use strict economy picking. Makes more sense if you ask me.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by chrispantling
Hey just a quick question, ive spent the last 3 weeks focusing on economy picking exercises and naturally now when i pick i use economy picking but should i be doing alternate picking exercises aswell, basically should i focus on one or both?

I would recommend working on both. there is no reason to use 1 or the other exclusively. They are effective in different ways, and they both sound slightly different. I would rather have the choice than be stuck with just 1 or the other.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 23, 2008,
economy picking is like that sweep picking suck, you use tnhe alternate picking when you change string

Ej strig 5 4 1