Can I get some general opinions on the Peavey Windsor?

Things I already know:

-Loud as hell, I'll probably need an attenuator (120 watts tube).
-Can't get any clean tones.
-Layout (controls, channel configuration, tube configuration).

Things I want to know:

-Is it really a "Super JCM800?"
-How much gain can it get alone?
-What genres can it handle alone?

I'm looking for a good hard rock rhythm tone, but mostly a good lead tone for soloing. I'll probably have it on one or two settings all the time and just roll down my guitar's volume knob to clean things up. So, with a decent cab, is this the amp for me?

Edit: I'm wanting to know about the head, not the combo version.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Last edited by kosmic at Feb 18, 2008,
Yes i own the head and it does rock and punk very well. It would be good for soloing and i would recommend getting an overdrive pedal its easy to control the sound. It has enough gain to do 80s metal and hard rock and it does not do cleans at loud volumes. the only cleans you can get is with the preamp volume at 1 or 2 and turn the master volume to 10, but for rock and lead there is not a better amp for the price.
Im not sure if its come out yet, but there is a 20w combo version of the Windsor that was supposed to have come out in Febuary. You can get clean tones from it, the only problem with it is the fact that its a single-channel amp, so u cant switch between a clean and distorted sound, you would need an OD pedal for it.
I've played one for about 45 min, & it seemed to get a decent hard rock metal sound, esp for the cost. The low end didn't seem tight enough for me, but I'm used to my own amps. But again, for the price, it's hard to beat for that sound. Plenty of gain without a pedal IMO.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by qotsa1998
Im not sure if its come out yet, but there is a 20w combo version of the Windsor that was supposed to have come out in Febuary. You can get clean tones from it, the only problem with it is the fact that its a single-channel amp, so u cant switch between a clean and distorted sound, you would need an OD pedal for it.

I'm talking about the head, which has been out for a while.

Can anybody else answer my questions?
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by riffhog
...The low end didn't seem tight enough for me, but I'm used to my own amps...

That is because you have a Soldano SLO.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by kosmic
I'm talking about the head, which has been out for a while.

Can anybody else answer my questions?

the head is also single channel.
no i cant answer any questions bcuz i was looking for the same answers as you in order to find this thread and say this.
¬¬
best signature ever