bought shure sm57 and art tube mp preamp which are on there way, i read a review on the shure sm57 saying it needs no phantom power.
Is the preamp not needed at all or will i need it to get a good sound

thanks
The ART preamps are okay. Not awesome, but certainly good enough for a person just getting into it.

Phantom power will NOT hurt a dynamic mic like the SM57, contrary to popular belief. The exception is if you have a damaged cable.

That said, the 57 doesn't need phantom power by any means. You can just turn the phantom power off on the ART. Easy.

You'll get a perfectly usable sound for a lot of things with that pairing. It won't be long before you discover the limitations of that pairing and will look for more versatility by investing in more mics, etc., but for now, no problem.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i am a bit confused, what does phantom power mean? i just thought it meant a preamp or something similar to get more volume.
what is the preamp capable of doing?
are you not supposed to use a preamp with a shure sm57, it won't damage it will it?

sorry about the newbie questions

ta
Quote by skilly1
i am a bit confused, what does phantom power mean? i just thought it meant a preamp or something similar to get more volume.
what is the preamp capable of doing?
are you not supposed to use a preamp with a shure sm57, it won't damage it will it?

sorry about the newbie questions

ta

Phantom power, often called +48V, is an extra boost of energy required by condenser microphones. Most preamps have phantom power circuitry, but if they don't you can buy a separate phantom power supply.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Preamps are basically just there to smoothen and warm up the sound, which gives you a better quality signal.
thanks, what i really want to know is have i wasted money buying the preamp because the sm57 apparently works fine on its own
No, a microphone signal always needs a preamp since it'll be transmitting a weak signal. At the very least, that preamp will lend some additional warmth (not too much) into the sound.

And the only thing that might be damaged from phantom power are ribbon microphones...more accurately, when the voltage is switched off or surges suddenly.