Page 1 of 5
What are some terms that you think are overused in music?

Here are some I've seen horrible use with:

Prodigy - This term is used way too much. I find that it's always used for children, if they are pretty good for their age. A child prodigy is very rare. The child has to be comparable to an adult of remarkable talent. I hate when kids like this are called a prodigy. Very talented? absolutly. Prodigy? Far from it. Beethoven isn't even considered a prodigy, even though he started from a young age, too.

Virtuoso - I hear people like Jimi Hendrix called a virtuoso. Compare him to a pianist virtuoso like Marc-Andre Hamelin. There will pretty much never be a pianist who is called a virtuoso if he can't sight-read, know theory or be extremly skilled in his/her instrument. I don't think Jimi Hendrix is comparable to the virtuosi of other instruments like Piano or Violin. I think he's a great songwriter, and vey talented guitarist, but he is no where near a virtuoso.
i agree with virtuoso. I personally don't think hendrix was even near other people that are tecnically virtuosos. I had one the other day but can't remember wha tit was.
Quote by JMTrio134
Shred. Just about everyone playing fast is "shredding" nowadays.

Isn't shredding supposed to sound good?

+1

I'm sick of "shredding". Lets have some melody back in solos.
Classical Guitarist....when people mix that up for 60's rock...I, like yourself, play classical guitar, and am enrolled in university getting my BA in music...studying classical...

But yeh...when people think classical music is 60's rock....
emo
way too many bands are classified as that
Show me the fever into the the fire, taking it higher and higher.
Quote by Pat McRotch
Classical Guitarist....when people mix that up for 60's rock...I, like yourself, play classical guitar, and am enrolled in university getting my BA in music...studying classical...

Or when people think anything fingerpicked on a nylon-string = Classical.
Quote by freedoms_stain
+1

+.95

I don't mind the occasional shred, but I rarely like it.
"Perception of Balance " - My album.

"Run away from the ending road, the desolate cold, and the broken home."
"overused"
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Pat McRotch

Who says that? O_o
i second Epic, Emo, and Shred. I personally can't stand much in the way of metal b/c most Metal bands do nothing but shred out their solos. There are very few actual Emo bands around nowadays, and its mostly just in theyre lyrics, not the music. How many "emo" bands sound like Sunny Day Real Estate anymore? And as for epic, its just overused period.
The rock hand, thanks to GH, GhII and guitar zero III Legends of ****, I've seen about the limit of the rock hand. If one more nerd goes F*** yeah I rock and does that, I might snap.

I know, it's not a term, but It's still over used.
Last edited by Striker150 at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by saosin22533
emo
way too many bands are classified as that

+3.1416

almost every punk/rock band is falling into that generalisation... and I dont even like punk rock
Quote by freedoms_stain
+1

I think "shredding" is just a wrongly used term. When it was used properly, it would mean technical and fast solos, many of which did and should contain melody. I think Dimebag shredded, his solos have a huge amount of melody, the Judas Priest boys shred - their solos are hugely melodic.

The term is overused and incorrectly used.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
"Disipline" Maybe spelt wrong but my music teacher goes on about how every musician has disipline. im not saying shes wrong but we got the point 2 years ago
shred, prodigy, virtuoso, god, epic, genius, symphonic (used by people who have no idea what symphonic means).

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 18, 2008,
In order to not turn this post into a looong rant, I'm just gonna say that the most overused thing in music today is people inflating their egos to the max.

PRO TIP: NOT EVERYONE CAN PULL IT OFF WITHOUT BEING PERCEIVED AS ASSHOLES

Yeah, I let my emotions take over when writing this, but **** it, the next kid that goes on an egotrip because he has learnt the intro to "Sweet child of mine" and sees himself as the new insta-Slash WILL receive a Falcon Punch from me. :C
I just thought of another one. Doesn't really have to do with music really, just label *****s who don't even play guitar. I hate it when people say "shuD 'a g0t A gIb$0n LOL!". Because every guitar that isn't a Gibson sucks..... riiight.
Emo - Overused in a fashion sense, as well as, a music scene.
Overrated
Underrated
Sell-outs

But to me, Shred and Brutal and aren't so overused.
Quote by The Madcap
Or when people think anything fingerpicked on a nylon-string = Classical.

I would also agree with that
Gangsta.

Not all rappers are trying to be gangstas.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by freddaahh
I think "shredding" is just a wrongly used term. When it was used properly, it would mean technical and fast solos, many of which did and should contain melody. I think Dimebag shredded, his solos have a huge amount of melody, the Judas Priest boys shred - their solos are hugely melodic.

The term is overused and incorrectly used.

i agree like when you classify people like Becker or Vai as "shred" i mean sure they can play super fast and are technically proficient but in no way does there music "lack emotion" as people often say
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by freedoms_stain
+1

+10000

Yeah, people who can shred are talented, dont get me wrong, i dont think id be able to ever shred as fast as some guitarists, but at the same time i dont wish to.Its like, i wanna hear feeling and emotion in the playing, not notes whizzing through my ears at 300MPH, its like

*rant over*

Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Emo needs to be used way less. People need to learn what real emo is.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Emotion.
Very overused term.

And yeah Hendrix wasn't a virtuoso. Guitarists like Steve Vai, Shawn Lane, Yngwie Malmsteen (even if you hate it, he has an amazing technique), Frank Gambale, John Petrucci, and Michael Romeo are virtuosos.
He was an amazing guitarists. But no virtuoso.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Feb 19, 2008,
Page 1 of 5