So I bought some new strings for my older bass to hopefully make it a bit more playable and I noticed something while reading a guide to stringing.

The guide says that your strings should be in a completely straight line from tuning post to the bridge. On my SR505 (my new bass which is straight from the factory), the G string angles off to the left side of the post. It looks like it should be wrapped around the other way (on the right). It would make it straighter. I was also wondering if this stringing problem would explain a rather weak G string. It has always sounded a bit funny.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation? I know absolutely nothing about stringing.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
pics would be helpful
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Your bass has a 3+2 headstock configuration. All of the strings (where they first touch the tuning post) should be facing toward the middle of the headstock, none to the outside. You may have just wound it the wrong way.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by skater dan0
pics would be helpful

I don't own a camera
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
It sounds like its wrapped around the wrong side, just take it off and string it around the other, side, it really doesnt affect anything too imoportant.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Your41Plague12
Your bass has a 3+2 headstock configuration. All of the strings (where they first touch the tuning post) should be facing toward the middle of the headstock, none to the outside. You may have just wound it the wrong way.

I didn't do any of the winding. Like I said this is straight from the factory. I just thought it looked a little wonky. From what you said it sounds like it was set up correctly. I was just thinking I made a revelation on why my G string sounds a bit weak.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Naa, that's right. Thanks for the diagram, that was helpful. As to why your G string is a little weak, I'm not totally sure. But it is strung up the right way.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Well, thanks for your help. I guess I'll just have to live with my G string.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Did you replace the strings yet? If not, that could explain the weak G string. Change your strings if you haven't, and my bet is that it'll fix it.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
Did you replace the strings yet? If not, that could explain the weak G string. Change your strings if you haven't, and my bet is that it'll fix it.

Well the strings I bought were for my older bass (a squier). My Ibanez SR505 has the weak G but the strings on it are relatively new (I didn't buy it that long ago). I didn't really plan on changing the strings on my SR505. I'm pretty sure the G string has been like that since the start though.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Is the string in the nut's groove? because from the diagram, it looks like the string is off the groove, it looks like its on the right side though.
TS, who knows how long the strings have been on the bass before you got it. Just from being played from other people in the store (if you didn't buy it online), that could explain the weak G string. I'd throw a new set of Rotosound or DR strings on there and see if it helps. I'm almost positive it will.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
TS, who knows how long the strings have been on the bass before you got it. Just from being played from other people in the store (if you didn't buy it online), that could explain the weak G string. I'd throw a new set of Rotosound or DR strings on there and see if it helps. I'm almost positive it will.

I did buy it online =/ lol. I'll get some new strings for it eventually.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by Zar938
Is the string in the nut's groove? because from the diagram, it looks like the string is off the groove, it looks like its on the right side though.

Forgive my MS paint skills. It is in the groove. =P
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

check how far away your g string is from your pickups compared to teh other strings. i had a weak E string once and i fixed it by lowering the action on that string.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by barb3rman
Well, thanks for your help. I guess I'll just have to live with my G string.

I can't believe no-one has picked up how sigworthy this comment is!
Quote by barb3rman

I don't own a camera

that's how it's meant to be
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.