I recently asked my friend if I could buy his guitar off of him. It's an Ibanez RG 1200. He let me borrow it and there were a few concerns i had.

First off, there is nothing on the internet about these so I have had much reliable information on it.

It apparently originally came with a Lo Pro bridge of some sort, but the current bridge on this guitar say it's a Licensed Floyd. Did the old Lo Pros come saying that on the bridge or is it actually a LFR?

Well regardless of what type of bridge it is, it hasn't aged well so I was looking to replace it with a OFR. Would an OFR fit?

And on a completely different topic, I stripped a bolt on my RG550 20th that controls the intonation. Is it possible to replace the individual saddles?

Edit: I found a picture of the ad that featured the guitar, and judging from the way the men are dressed and wear their hair, the guitar seems to be from sometime in the 90's.
Last edited by Evian at Feb 18, 2008,
Yes, the RG1200 had the LoPro Edge - the guitar is early nineties, I imagine 90-91, Japanese and all. LoPro units did say that it's licensed under FR patents. And replacing one of those with anything is profoundly unwise.

And yes, you can replace individual Edge saddles.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by Evian
I recently asked my friend if I could buy his guitar off of him. It's an Ibanez RG 1200. He let me borrow it and there were a few concerns i had.

First off, there is nothing on the internet about these so I have had much reliable information on it.

It apparently originally came with a Lo Pro bridge of some sort, but the current bridge on this guitar say it's a Licensed Floyd. Did the old Lo Pros come saying that on the bridge or is it actually a LFR?

LFR just means that it was licensed under FR patents, but doesn't say anything about the quality.

The Lo-Pro for instance, has the "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents" on the bridge, making it an LFR, but it's still an awesome bridge.

If you look at the bridge block (the bottom part of the trem) you should be able to see that it's an Ibanez bridge.

Quote by Evian
Well regardless of what type of bridge it is, it hasn't aged well so I was looking to replace it with a OFR. Would an OFR fit?

It's very well possible that:

a) the Edge Pro is a better fit
b) you can find a new/good condition LoPro
c) an OFR might require some modding

Quote by Evian
And on a completely different topic, I stripped a bolt on my RG550 20th that controls the intonation. Is it possible to replace the individual saddles?

Check Ibanezrules.com; he sells parts, too.

Quote by Evian
Edit: I found a picture of the ad that featured the guitar, and judging from the way the men are dressed and wear their hair, the guitar seems to be from sometime in the 90's.

Post the serial and I can tell you or look for information on Ibanez serial numbers on the web.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 18, 2008,
@ pifty and Bonsaischaap... is there anything about Ibanez guitars that you don't know about!?
Thanks for the info. I can't seem to find the Ibanez anywhere on the bridge, but it seems like it is a Lo-Pro. My friend says that the bridge acts sort of wonky, like the bolts you have to unscrew to take out a string are stripped or soemthing. I can't remember what he said and I haven't experienced it myself. I plan on changed the strings later though. Should I even bother replacing the bridge or would it be easier/cheaper to replace just the saddles.

I'll check out the site. The serial number is F156201.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The Lo-Pro for instance, has the "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents" on the bridge, making it an LFR, but it's still an awesome bridge.

Fixed?
Quote by Evian
Thanks for the info. I can't seem to find the Ibanez anywhere on the bridge, but it seems like it is a Lo-Pro. My friend says that the bridge acts sort of wonky, like the bolts you have to unscrew to take out a string are stripped or soemthing. I can't remember what he said and I haven't experienced it myself. I plan on changed the strings later though. Should I even bother replacing the bridge or would it be easier/cheaper to replace just the saddles.

The serial means it was made in 1991, at the Fujigen plant.

As for just replacing the saddles, that would depend on the condition of the rest of the bridge and the knife edges.

I'd suggest just sticking with the original bridge for a while.

Quote by Pikka Bird
Fixed?

Thanks for pointing that out
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Evian

It's a '91. If one or more of the saddle lock screws are stripped, just replace the screws. No biggie. LoPro is worth keeping, take a good look at it, clean it up, swap whatever's out of order.

Quote by Mwoit
@ pifty and Bonsaischaap... is there anything about Ibanez guitars that you don't know about!?
I personally have no idea what my '04 RG170 was really made of, but it tasted bloody fine!
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Wow, It's pretty much 17 years old now. I'll stick with the original bridge for now, but it is as bad as he says, i'll have to come back and post again.

I'm on Ibanez Rules, and I'm looking at individual saddles for the edge. What is the differance between a complete saddle and a bare saddle? I'm looking for a standard edge saddle correct?
You're looking for a LoPro saddle. The bare saddle likely doesn't have the string lock block and the locking screw, while the complete comes with those. Yet again, consider only replacing the string lock screws if those are what's wrong.
Ah, yes, in that case you're looking for an Edge saddle. Which exact part is stripped? The intonation rod which you turn to unlock the string?
It's the part that's right below the string that moves the saddle back and forth to adjust intonation.
Yeah. How exactly do they work? Do you loosen them and then move the saddle by hand or do they move the saddle themselves?

I think I realize what I did. When I loosend it, the tension of the string pulled it forward, so i assumed the screw moved the saddle. So when I tightend it, and it didn't move, i ended up stripping it.
The screw doesn't move the saddle, they just keep it in place once you move the saddle to a correct intonation point. The actual moving has to be done by hand.
When you adjust intonation, estimate how much you have to move the saddle, then dive the trem, loosen the lock screw, move the saddle, tighten, release the trem, retune, check intonation, repeat until it's five by five.

Bothersome process, really, that's why ZRs are so nice.