Lately my epi les paul has been buzzing a lot in all of the non-wound strings. It was fine a few weeks ago when i bought it, but now there is a lot of buzz and is bothersome. Would putting on slightly lighter strings, which i plan on anyway soon, or something else? Any suggestions?
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
I think putting on lighter strings would make the buzzing worse, as the neck would relax and flatten more. I think the problem is either you just need to raise the saddle or have the truss rod adjusted.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
you can try adjusting the screws on teh bridge itself, or the screws that are behind each individual string if you just want a certain string altered
you could raise the action slightly
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
so would you all recommend getting this professionally set up w/ the new strings so it is done right? i dont want to screw it up.
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
if you've tried raising it yourself and it hasn't stopped the buzzing then yes
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
i dont have a truss rod tool and i dont really know how to properly adjust the nut or the screws on the bridge
Quote by happytimeharry

Quote by Strat = Love
i dont have a truss rod tool and i dont really know how to properly adjust the nut or the screws on the bridge

Yeah, if you're not familiar with doing this stuff, take it to your local shop and have them do it.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
ok, how much would that cost do you think?
Quote by happytimeharry

Where I live in Cleveland having a guitar set up generally costs about 35 bucks that includes new strings. As a general rule the best thing to do for a new guitar is take it and have it set up.
1. lighter strings will buzz more because the neck will relax under less tension.

2, no need to touch the truss rod

3. action is adjusted at the bridge.

detune a bit, and loosen the screws on the top of the bridge posts.

then lift the bridge by turning the thumb screws, pointed to by red arrows, and tighten it all up again.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Metabolic575
you can try adjusting the screws on teh bridge itself, or the screws that are behind each individual string if you just want a certain string altered

just so you know, those little screws adjust the string length, not action.

so if you thought a string was out of tune at the 12th fret, you would slightly turn that small screw to tune at the 12th.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
1. lighter strings will buzz more because the neck will relax under less tension.

2, no need to touch the truss rod

3. action is adjusted at the bridge.

detune a bit, and loosen the screws on the top of the bridge posts.

then lift the bridge by turning the thumb screws, pointed to by red arrows, and tighten it all up again.

would you recommend that to a complete noob at working on a guitar? i mean complete noob. I have been playing for a little under a year, and have only changed my strings once or twice by myself, lol. How easy is adjusting the bridge?
Quote by happytimeharry

Actually, it's beneficial for you to learn at some point. Since a tuneomatic bridge has a fixed radius, you're actually safer doing this than you would be on a strat, for example, as you're not going to wreck the radius (curvature of the strings) at the bridge by neglecting to adjust the other saddles. The whole thing raises and lowers as a unit. If it doesn't suit you, you can always lower it back down again.

It's probably due to climate changes, it happens in wintertime, more noticeably on some instruments than others. You may very well need a neck relief (truss rod) adjsutment, but that's not usually the first place I'd start if I didn't have any experience. Go ahead and try the action adjustment Jenny suggested. It's relatively easy and isn't going to hurt anything even if it's not the actual problem or you do it wrong. If that doesn't work out for you, then yeah, I'd think about taking it into a shop and having it done right.
I wrap my strings around my tail piece, like a bunch of blues players, and drop the bridge down. It gets rid of all the buzz and makes string bending smoother.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
ok, i will try that bridge adjustment. seems easy enough and its hard to screw up you say?
Quote by happytimeharry

yeah it's hard to screw up, and eventually you will need to do it urself.

but as always it's up to you to decide...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

thanks for all the help everyone
Quote by happytimeharry