Everytime i play my top two strings on my ibanez s2120.. i get major string buzz... i am tuned in C# and i was playing with a 49 on my 6th string. now i upgraded to a 52 and i still get the same amount of buzz... it is on a locking trem... the strings are not coming in contact with the fretboard or pickups.. and i have raised the action a lot... what can i do here? i had the guitar set up only a month ago, ive just always got bad buzz.
try to find where the noise is coming from.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I get the same thing on my strat. Does it seem like the buzz is comeing out from in the guitar? I i adjusted the height of my pickups and it went away but it sill comes back sometimes, if i strum the top string too hard.
look at the neck, maybe is a little bent
fret the note at the 1st fret on the low E string and the last fret too(22 or 24th fret)
and then look at the 9th fret, if bthe string touchest the fret, you have to adjust the truss rod by loosing is a little bit, there must be only a small distance between the string and the fret, but that small distance makes a big difference
if you don´t feel confortable doing it by yourself, take it to a guitar tech
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Quote by barcelona_rov
look at the neck, maybe is a little bent
fret the note at the 1st fret on the low E string and the last fret too(22 or 24th fret)
and then look at the 9th fret, if bthe string touchest the fret, you have to adjust the truss rod by loosing is a little bit, there must be only a small distance between the string and the fret, but that small distance makes a big difference
if you don´t feel confortable doing it by yourself, take it to a guitar tech

nope.. no touching on the ninth fret.

he means behind there. there should be room.

also, unplug the guitar, shake the guitar, also, strum it and touch parts on the bridge and the headstock to here if you silence the noise.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah, couldnt get anything back there :-\ will give it a go.

if i press the fine tuners down a lot.. like im whammying with a whammy bar so to say.. it does mute the buzzing a bit. but not totally. so i dont think thats quite it
is ur bridge level or lifted?

and if it's a loose part, it would silence when you lightly touched that part.

if it's spring twange, then threading cotton balls thru the springs will silence them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

like inbetween the springs? my bridge seems slightly lifted. but it was level a week ago and i still had the problem.
if it's the springs making the noise, then yeah on the spring tube, you can thread some cotton.

and if you think ur tuning falls out quickly, because ur bridge isnt balanced, then tighten the screws in there to level ur bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

still kind of lost by "string tube" and threading cotton. lol

my guitar stays in tune great. just buzzing strings
it's not string tube. it's that the SPRings are tube shaped and that cotton will fit inside of the springs. just place some cotton or foam in the cavity.

then repost if if buzzing is still there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

tried stuffing a bunch of cotton in there... was a no go. still major buzz
yeah, honestly, i didnt think that was the problem anyway. that's more of a twang sound. buzz is from a loose saddle, a loose tuner or tuner washer, strings rattling in the nut cuts, or from slight fret buzz that you probably cant even see.

i suggest that if you plan on keeping the tuning low, that you adjust the neck relief.

and for instructions on how to do this repost.

edit: how much room was at the ninth fret? could you fit more than a credit cards thickness in that space, because with a downtuned guitar, u'll want plenty of room.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

it was pretty close.. dont think i could have fit a credit card through..

i have no experience adjusting the truss rod.. but i certainly dont want to get ripped off my my local guitar shop [they rip you off for everything] anyone have any good tutorials.. or is clockwise forward bow, counter clockwise back bow? and which way would i want to go? :S sorry. totally new at all this
Does it buzz when you play those two strings fretted? If doesn't buzz fretted it may be a nut problem.

If it does look to your bridge/trem.

One of the problems I had recently on a vintage trem guitar, was the A string not making good contact with the nut. IT drove me NUTS. It wasn't necessarily a buzz but a weird combo of buzz/vibration/harmonic ringing noise, not audible (didn't effect tone at all) when amped up.

This same thing can happen on a trem if the string isn't making solid contact with the saddle.
it still buzzes when the notes are fretted.... what should i look into involving the bridge?
Well. I would try everything suggested in this thread at least twice before I adjusted the truss rod. Otherwise you may want to take it to a professional. It could be a lot of things really.

What type of trem do you have?
Ibanez Edge double lo-pro bridge

i could, but ill get ripped off :[ they charge high for everything
Quote by Scenes
it was pretty close.. dont think i could have fit a credit card through..

i have no experience adjusting the truss rod.. but i certainly dont want to get ripped off my my local guitar shop [they rip you off for everything] anyone have any good tutorials.. or is clockwise forward bow, counter clockwise back bow? and which way would i want to go? :S sorry. totally new at all this

well yeah that;s going to be a problem. because with down tuning, and thick strings, those strings are vibrating a lot. when your board is straight, you arent leaving a bunch of room for them to move around.

if you want you can take the correct sized allen wrench and turn 1/4" COUNTER clockwise.

that's a very very small amount. after you turn, let the guitar sit an hour or so.
down adjust any more today, but ull notice the neck will setlte into a little better position.

dont force the turn. and dont adjust more today.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

okay will give it a go. although i think my truss rod needs some sort of socket in order for me to adjust it.. its not the allan wrench type..
do i do this while the strings are on?
+1 for jj1565

No matter how tempting it may be, use 1/4 turns. No more then 1/4 turn per day. If you go truss rod happy, you'll screw something up.

Also, not all technicians will rip you off. You just need to ask around. Do you have any friends that play? Local bands etc? Recording studios nearby? Ask them!

I know it sucks dude, but I have 30 minute drive to my nearest "reliable" guitar tech.....

DS
Quote by Scenes
okay will give it a go. although i think my truss rod needs some sort of socket in order for me to adjust it.. its not the allan wrench type..
do i do this while the strings are on?

leave the strings on, and since ur bridge is already lifted, im guessing you wont even need to slack the strings at all either. less tension means hardly any chance for a string break.

anyway, if you have a bullet type truss rod nut, then a socket is used.

a recessed nut, then an allen wrench.

take the guitar to a local hardware place and see what they have there, but dont use the wrong wrench.

also +1, not all techs are rip offs. but yeah, some things you can do urself, good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

just did a small counter clockwise turn..[it turned with barely no force] gonna let it sit and see if its any help.
thanks guys.
ok cool. just repost later, with any questions. ill check back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so far.. still some buzzing.. it did help a bit. or maybe thats in my head. perhaps i should wait longer.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jNkPCdTYrf0"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jNkPCdTYrf0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

theres a clip of my string buzz
yeah sorry, i cant see the link^

but, adjusting the truss rod takes a while. remeasure. see if the string is farther from the board, and tomorrow, feel free to turn another 1/4" if you are barely a credit cards thickness up.

in addition, there can also, be a string rattling in the nut cut.

so fretting different strings, and trying different notes, until you can narrow down the buzzing is also helpful.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

no go. it helped a bit. and i tried again.
the strings are farther away from the fretboard now. but the buzzing remains.
Last edited by Scenes at Feb 20, 2008,
right, if you can bend the neck and little, (or a little more) then action can be adjusted as well. (i mean action can be lowered at the bridge, when there is enough neck relief, in the middle of the board.)

but that buzz you have, really needs to be tracked down. usually by now, the thread starter has the "slightest" idea where the noise is coming from.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62