OK – I am trying to get my first bass (I have been playing around with a friends bass Yamaha RBX-170 ? for a few months and now want to get my own). I just cant figure what I should go for……..

Here’s is what I have narrowed it down to:

1. Fender Mexican-Jazz Standard ~ $1000 AUD (replace neck pickup with S/Duncan Quarter Pound SJB-3)
2. Fender Mexican Active Jazz ~ $1300 AUD (replace neck pickup with S/Duncan Quarter Pound SJB-3)
3. Fender Mexican Active P ~ $1300 AUD (replace neck pickup with S/Duncan Quarter Pound SPB-3)
4. Fender Highway 1 Jazz ~ $1350 AUD (replace neck pickup with S/Duncan Quarter Pound SJB-3)

I have also looked at the Fender Reggie Hamilton (~ $1700 AUD) but I found this to be quite a heavy bass though it did sound good….. I was also considering a G & L Tribute L-2000 (~ $1200 AUD) BUT I would have to buy one first without playing (cant seem to get them where I live). Also I have been told that the electronics on the G & L’s can be noisy.

I am prepared to go 2nd hand – if I can find something that is (have seen two 1997 Fender J American Deluxe and a Japan Fender 62 re-issue Jazz but they are on the other side of the country.....). I have also looked at Warwick and Spector but they just didn’t feel right. Oh as for style of music - commercial type rock (60’s through to modern day).

Thoughts anyone ?????
I've never been a fan of buying a bass and then immediately upgrading. If you can go for the American fenders, but if they're too much, next best would be the Highway one (depending on your tastes, some prefer the geddy lee or marcus miller) so go with that. Don't forget to save some money for an amp.
OK will have a think about the American Fenders - I have seen the 2008 models advertised for ~$ 2000 AUD - may even be able to find 2007 going cheap or a 2nd hand one.

As for amps - I was going to start with something like a Roland Cube 30 watt or maybe a Fender Rumble 100 watt. I know neither of these may be brilliant amps but to start with I dont think that will matter I think they would be fine. I figure if I am rehearsing with other people and there is a PA - I could alway run direct to the PA if the amp is not loud enough.

Amps come and go - so I was thinking of spending a bit more on a bass and at some point only have to think about upgrading the amp.
If you're going for just a practice amp in your room, you won't really need 100 watts, so you can get a nice amp for that money. But if you're gigging you might end up needing more. In that case, if money is tough to come by, go for a Mexican or a Highway One, and get an amp big enough for gigging that will sound good. A good bass and a great amp will sound better than a great bass and an ok, underpowered amp.
I would look for a 75ish watt amp. That way you have power for small gigs, and enough for loud practices. I've got a Peavey Basic 112 that does the job fairly well. As for your bass situation...

An American Active Jazz is a very nice bass, and I would say keep it factory for about a month or so of moderate gigging, then if you can't find a good sound, replace the pickups. (I'd just add it between the bridge in neck personally)

I'm not sure how that falls on you budget wise, but Peavey and Ameican made stuff is very very reliable. They are of the highest quality and will last you a good while.
As said before, if you can get the money, get an American Jazz (you'll have it for life, well worth it) or a Highway One (same, but I liked the American better). Don't upgrade it immediately until you're throwing professional gigs and have a certain rig setup.

Fender Rumble 100's and 60's are great, especially or the money. For practicing with a band, I'd say go for the 100- it's a bit more, but it'll throw out a wall of sound in a garage or small gig. Well worth it.
im gonna say the highway one or the mexican jazz standard. as for the amp i will say the rumble over the cube.

reasons: you dont really need actives with the music style. they can become more problematic if you get one that eats batteries. passives are cheaper in the long run.

as for the reasons on the amp. its a personal thing. i've always looked at digital modeling amps like toys. roland and line 6 amps arent that great and can throw your sound for a loop if youre not ready to piddle with the FX. getting the rumble is better because later you can always get an FX processor (rack or pedal) or just get the individual pedals
Quote by Pink Muse
As said before, if you can get the money, get an American Jazz (you'll have it for life, well worth it) or a Highway One (same, but I liked the American better). Don't upgrade it immediately until you're throwing professional gigs and have a certain rig setup.

Fender Rumble 100's and 60's are great, especially or the money. For practicing with a band, I'd say go for the 100- it's a bit more, but it'll throw out a wall of sound in a garage or small gig. Well worth it.

personally i find the rumbles leave a LOT to be desired. including tone.
I've found the tone options to be enough when combined with the guitar's controls. Especially considering the price, the Rumbles are quite a value.
For me, it's completely the opposite. Basses come and go, you're generally going to find one that you like the feel of better or you like that sound and you need a different aspect etc. Amps, on the other hand, are pretty steady in your set-up. When you find a good amp, you usually stick with it far longer than any one bass.

I say, definitely, buy a nice amp instead of a nice bass. Actually, buy an average bass and a great amp. An MIM jazz, or even a Squier Vintage Modified is a respectable second bass, never mind first bass, and I personally don't believe you need an American standard for a first bass. I just don't think it's all that necessary. I know people say "Oh, but you'll have it for life." Utter bullshit. You will not have that bass for life, I can almost guarantee it.

For an amp, I definitely recommend at least 250 watts. That's gonna be around an adequate wattage for most smaller gigs. I don't honestly know how anyone can gig with 100 watts. I've tried it in a fairly small theatre and it was not nice. What's in your price range at that wattage is a mystery as the AUS prices are insane.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
For me, it's completely the opposite. Basses come and go, you're generally going to find one that you like the feel of better or you like that sound and you need a different aspect etc. Amps, on the other hand, are pretty steady in your set-up. When you find a good amp, you usually stick with it far longer than any one bass.

I say, definitely, buy a nice amp instead of a nice bass. Actually, buy an average bass and a great amp. An MIM jazz, or even a Squier Vintage Modified is a respectable second bass, never mind first bass, and I personally don't believe you need an American standard for a first bass. I just don't think it's all that necessary. I know people say "Oh, but you'll have it for life." Utter bullshit. You will not have that bass for life, I can almost guarantee it.

For an amp, I definitely recommend at least 250 watts. That's gonna be around an adequate wattage for most smaller gigs. I don't honestly know how anyone can gig with 100 watts. I've tried it in a fairly small theatre and it was not nice. What's in your price range at that wattage is a mystery as the AUS prices are insane.

i've played large shows with an un DI'ed 80watt peavey. and out sounded the guitar player with a mic'd 220watt crate!! fender rumbles and the old peavey's like i had really do carry the sound better than alot of today's amps. but in the spirit of bigger is better, my next amp (after i completly demolish this crappy GK bratt pack) is an SWR 550x... minimum