I'm trying to learn Ride the Lightning right now. I know what palm muting is but this song seems different. When I listen to the song, the notes (open e) that should be palm muted, according to the tab, don't sound muted.

Right now I'm just holding my palm so that the flesh is touching the bridge.

Thanks.
dude, instead of putting your palm right on the bridge, put it a little more over your bridge pickup. have youir hand take up more of the string, yknow what im sayin? that should give you a little more chug for metal riffs. use that technique on most metal songs, it makes everything sound just that much more heavier to get yer **** done.

hope that helped.
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
ok sweet.
I didn't mean on top of the bridge, I meant beside the bridge so i guess it is partially covering the pickup. I am using a squier fat strat right now. I'll try and put it directly over the pick up when I get home.
use a heavy palm mute. instead of just lightly palming. add a little more pressure to it so you get the classic chug. and in the style of hetfield, downstroke everything
Quote by damienblack333
use a heavy palm mute. instead of just lightly palming. add a little more pressure to it so you get the classic chug. and in the style of hetfield, downstroke everything

+1, helps way more when playing Metallica songs to downpick when palm muting...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Thanks. Whenever I play Metallica I always down stroke. Thanks for the advice. It's time to work on the technique.
Sometimes tabbers just won't even bother putting in palm mutes, because you can generally hear where they're supposed to be. This is especially true with bands like Metallica that palm mute all the time.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Sometimes tabbers just won't even bother putting in palm mutes, because you can generally hear where they're supposed to be. This is especially true with bands like Metallica that palm mute all the time.

well.. metallica palmed almost all the time. st. anger had 0 palms